TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Autopilot necessary?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dfdtruckie, Oct 15, 2015.

1. dfdtruckie

dfdtruckie Member

I love the MS. When do you think you would use these features?

2. Majerus

Majerus Member

Driving to work, long trips on the interstate, stop and go traffic.

3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

I don't think I would except for the novelty of it.

4. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I use TACC on road trips ALL the time. I hated cruise control before TACC. I'm going to use AP on those same road trips now, and see if it makes the commute easier.

5. DougH

DougH Active Member

TACC is the only option I care about.

6. electracity

electracity Active Member

1/3 of traffic fatalities (in the U.S.) are from leaving the roadway.

7. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

All.the.time.

8. stallhorn

stallhorn Member

+1 ^^

Just came back from a 98 mile round trip - 90% autopilot. Can't believe how well it worked! I was already making a good use of the TACC as I think it is safer.

So happy I didn't leave the AP option on the table like the Tesla sales guy suggested - "No one gets the autopilot"..

9. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

I've been using TACC 99% of my freeway driving... and probably 50% of around town driving. It reduces the stress from driving IMMENSELY. I wouldn't buy a Tesla without it before... and especially since AutoPilot is now live with the 7.0 update !!!

10. Jool

Jool Member

I drive long distances quite frequently and already use TACC on all those trips. Auto steering will make things even less stressful!

11. tstafford

tstafford Member

Having used it for about 30 miles of driving today I can say that I will use it a lot. It is really easy to engage and to adjust speed. I generally don't like cruise or anything like that because I fancy myself an engaged and competent driver, but this is really fun. It's a new aid for the drive. You can engage it for a few miles, let the car do the work and then take over (or not). It's simple and intuitive. I have to say it was worth the wait. Very cool to get the feeling of a brand new car experience OTA. Kudos Tesla.

12. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Absolutely. I'm up early and a few extra zees never hurt.

kidding! :)

13. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I recently drive solo from Dallas to Tampa. I would have traded a kidney for autopilot on that trip.

14. MikeS85D

MikeS85D Member

The TACC is super nice for the kind of driving I do (bad commute traffic where the speed fluctuates between 0 and 60 mph). It is great not having to keep stopping and starting all the time. I just got the 7.0 update but have only had a chance to try it briefly so far. I suspect it will also make my commute nicer, once I get used to it.

And don't forget the auto dimming high beams! Those are a major benefit when driving on the dark and windy road my house is on.

15. zro ltr

zro ltr Member

I love TACC. I tried autopilot on my commute home. If my future experiences with it are similar to today's, I won't be using it unless I move somewhere with better roads.

16. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I use TACC all the time on pretty much any trip requiring more than a few miles on the freeway.

In some ways it's kinda like a buddy system. It looks after me, and I look after it. For the first month or so of ownership I was extremely cautious with it and had my foot hovering over the brake all the time.

Now with V7 I'm really nervous with the lane-steering where I have my hands near/on the steering wheel ready to take over and I've been taking over when it's even slightly off.

It's probably going to require a couple months for me to get used to it, and for all the data from the drivers to improve the system.

17. Lonnie123

Lonnie123 Member

I am salivating at the idea of it with the Model 3. I hatttteeee freeway driving but am forced to do it regularly. I TRY and use cruise control but the other drivers on the road have other plans for me so I am constantly engaging it, braking, resetting, etc... Even just having TACC would be a huge bonus for me, much less auto lane steering.

18. Sheffie

Sheffie Member

I'v used it around town and on a short highway trip and it worked freakishly well! There are things it trys to do like follow a car through a sharp turn (in the city low speeds) then gives up half way through and alarms so you have to be careful in situations like that.