Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Please check out the latest TMC Podcast (#13) where we discussed new Model Y launches, Tesla improving service, nationwide EV charging expansion, and viewer comments from previous episodes YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Autopilot necessary?

Having used it for about 30 miles of driving today I can say that I will use it a lot. It is really easy to engage and to adjust speed. I generally don't like cruise or anything like that because I fancy myself an engaged and competent driver, but this is really fun. It's a new aid for the drive. You can engage it for a few miles, let the car do the work and then take over (or not). It's simple and intuitive. I have to say it was worth the wait. Very cool to get the feeling of a brand new car experience OTA. Kudos Tesla.

The TACC is super nice for the kind of driving I do (bad commute traffic where the speed fluctuates between 0 and 60 mph). It is great not having to keep stopping and starting all the time. I just got the 7.0 update but have only had a chance to try it briefly so far. I suspect it will also make my commute nicer, once I get used to it.

And don't forget the auto dimming high beams! Those are a major benefit when driving on the dark and windy road my house is on.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
I use TACC all the time on pretty much any trip requiring more than a few miles on the freeway.

In some ways it's kinda like a buddy system. It looks after me, and I look after it. For the first month or so of ownership I was extremely cautious with it and had my foot hovering over the brake all the time.

Now with V7 I'm really nervous with the lane-steering where I have my hands near/on the steering wheel ready to take over and I've been taking over when it's even slightly off.

It's probably going to require a couple months for me to get used to it, and for all the data from the drivers to improve the system.

I am salivating at the idea of it with the Model 3. I hatttteeee freeway driving but am forced to do it regularly. I TRY and use cruise control but the other drivers on the road have other plans for me so I am constantly engaging it, braking, resetting, etc... Even just having TACC would be a huge bonus for me, much less auto lane steering.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC