Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot on HW4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read some comments about improved distance and reaction times with HW4 on autopilot, but there seems to be no videos of autopilot on HW4. Since some of you already have it, would any of you be kind enough and post a video of using autopilot in heavy traffic?

Given how long HW3 cars were running HW2.5 neural nets before getting a unique AP firmware, it seems unlikely HW4 would have unique functionality at this very early stage. So it's probably good to take early such reports with a grain of salt, as they could just be placebo.

Although since the cameras are different it's likely they would have already had to retrain them more substantially before release. This could be why it's different this time, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: DDotJ
Upvote 0
I actually haven't been able to get Autopilot to work on my new S with HW4 (new cameras, so inferring that it's HW4). It just says the "Autosteer hasn't been enabled" whenever I try to turn it on, even though it has been turned on in Autopilot settings. Don't know if it's just me or if others have had similar issues. Pretty annoying on top of the lack of Park Assist.

Upvote 0
Obviously I don't have HW4, but from what I read, they were delivered with autosteer disabled, but the update to enable autosteer was already pushed to the fleet (though no park assist or FSD).

Although software is not more capable, new cameras and more powerful chip should be able to run same algorithms on much higher resolution, leading to better results.

Upvote 0
Obviously I don't have HW4, but from what I read, they were delivered with autosteer disabled, but the update to enable autosteer was already pushed to the fleet (though no park assist or FSD).

Although software is not more capable, new cameras and more powerful chip should be able to run same algorithms on much higher resolution, leading to better results.
Autopilot seemed to have been turned on without an update a few weeks ago, performs exactly the same as HW3 cars, nothing better or worse.

On a more exciting note finally got 2023.12.300.1 today, which brought Vision Park Assist! It is definitely a bit rough around the edges, but seems stable enough to be useful for pulling into tight spaces and my garage.

Attachments

• IMG_7102.jpeg
    IMG_7102.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_7103.jpeg
    IMG_7103.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: preilly44
Upvote 0
Autopilot seemed to have been turned on without an update a few weeks ago, performs exactly the same as HW3 cars, nothing better or worse.

On a more exciting note finally got 2023.12.300.1 today, which brought Vision Park Assist! It is definitely a bit rough around the edges, but seems stable enough to be useful for pulling into tight spaces and my garage.
Just took delivery this weekend of a 2023 MYLR with HW4 and Basic Autopilot. Subscribed to FSD, but decided against it for now. Enhanced Autopilot functions are not available. FSD currently stops at traffic signals and stop signs, but does do anything else. The Autopilot screen only displays the Basic Autopilot graphics and none of the Enhanced Autopilot or FSD graphics. I have the same software update described by preilly44, which includes Vision Park Assist. I have used it to part in the garage and parking lots and the accuracy was very good in the garage backing up and in the parking lot.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Upvote 0
What additional graphics do EAP and non-beta FSD use? I thought all the visualizations were the same unless you had FSD Beta.
When I had FSD beta for a few days, the only visuals I had were the two thin blue lines for Autosteer from Basic Autopilot. The FSD function available was stopping for stop signs and traffic lights, but the display did not have the FSD visual of the solid blue sign in front of the car. In addition, all turns required manual steering. I did have Park Assist, which worked pretty well backing into the garage and in a parking lot with a curb in front. I will re-subscribe when HW4 has the same FSD as HW3. My son has a 2020 M3P, and we were able to see the difference between the HW3 and HW4 cameras in their definition and wider view.

Upvote 0
When I had FSD beta for a few days, the only visuals I had were the two thin blue lines for Autosteer from Basic Autopilot. The FSD function available was stopping for stop signs and traffic lights, but the display did not have the FSD visual of the solid blue sign in front of the car. In addition, all turns required manual steering. I did have Park Assist, which worked pretty well backing into the garage and in a parking lot with a curb in front. I will re-subscribe when HW4 has the same FSD as HW3. My son has a 2020 M3P, and we were able to see the difference between the HW3 and HW4 cameras in their definition and wider view.
You seem to be saying that you had FSD Beta but didn’t see any of the FSD Beta visualizations or have any FSD functionality. Did you actually enable FSD Beta under Controls > Autopilot? It is disabled by default. Park Assist is a standard feature, so you get that no matter with AP option you have.

Upvote 0
You seem to be saying that you had FSD Beta but didn’t see any of the FSD Beta visualizations or have any FSD functionality. Did you actually enable FSD Beta under Controls > Autopilot? It is disabled by default. Park Assist is a standard feature, so you get that no matter with AP option you have.
It sounds like he just had FSD, not FSD Beta.

Upvote 0