Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we've seen Elon say, "we'll do the obvious thing," in reference to autonomous capabilities of their cars, including the Model 3, any thoughts on pricing?

Will they make 1 level of AP, and at the same price, or will we get 2 options depending on just how much capability we want?

Now that we've seen Elon say, "we'll do the obvious thing," in reference to autonomous capabilities of their cars, including the Model 3, any thoughts on pricing?

Will they make 1 level of AP, and at the same price, or will we get 2 options depending on just how much capability we want?
How much? Like I only have enough for it to automatically stop at stop lights but I can't afford automatic left turns.

I think it will be safety features or the next gen autopilot with nothing in between.

There is not a much of a liability risk to Tesla for safety features where the vehicle is still driven by a person. Fully autonomous does add a level of liability to Tesla and therefore should cost more. Although, Tesla needs to be careful not overcharge for the feature and be competitive with other automotive companies. I would hope that the cost of the fully autonomous feature would be recouped in lower automotive insurance costs.

Reactions: zenmaster
I would guess that AP v2 is nearly autonomous driving for a previously driven route. You give the starting point and ending point, and the car uses data from a previous trip (as well as data from other Teslas that have made portions of that trip) to take you along the same course. There will be more to work out, like dealing with construction, pedestrians, cyclists, etc., which is why I'm saying "nearly autonomous" vs. "fully autonomous" - the driver will still need to pay attention and be ready to take over.

To me, "fully autonomous" is: 1) get in the car and enter your end destination, then 2) the car makes all decisions to optimize route, etc. while you do whatever you want.

I would guess that AP v2 is nearly autonomous driving for a previously driven route. You give the starting point and ending point, and the car uses data from a previous trip (as well as data from other Teslas that have made portions of that trip) to take you along the same course. There will be more to work out, like dealing with construction, pedestrians, cyclists, etc., which is why I'm saying "nearly autonomous" vs. "fully autonomous" - the driver will still need to pay attention and be ready to take over.

To me, "fully autonomous" is: 1) get in the car and enter your end destination, then 2) the car makes all decisions to optimize route, etc. while you do whatever you want.

eventually, we may see it go even further than that.

calendar syncing with your phone, or learning your habits.

sit down in the car at 7:15, car asks: "are we going to work now?"

you respond: "Yes"

car drives you to work.

other scenario: you put a dinner date with the wife into your phone's calendar, you hop in the car at 6pm on a saturday night, car asks you to verbally confirm destination based on the calendar entry.

Take me to the service center. No, Really!

I'm waiting for TeslaConscious in update 9.4, the one that says in 2001 HAL computer ear voice, "just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"
Take me? The car will have already gone, had the work done, and returned before you need it :)

I can see this being useful for anything like parking and charging your car. "Tesla, go park back at home and avoid airport fees. I'll be back in 2 weeks from my flight so monitor my flight status and be ready to come pick me up when I land."

Take me? The car will have already gone, had the work done, and returned before you need it :)

I can see this being useful for anything like parking and charging your car. "Tesla, go park back at home and avoid airport fees. I'll be back in 2 weeks from my flight so monitor my flight status and be ready to come pick me up when I land."
Avoiding fees? Oh just you wait for the autonomous car drop-off airport tax...

I head Illinois is doing something like that.
Illinois proposes per-mile driving tax
I think governments should be spending more money on research to make roads last longer

I'm probably going to get smacked for saying this, but a per-mile tax would not necessarily be a bad thing. There does need to be some kind of tax to pay for road maintenance, and right now that's paid for by a gasoline tax. As the number of gas cars dwindle, the tax would dwindle as well.

I'm probably going to get smacked for saying this, but a per-mile tax would not necessarily be a bad thing. There does need to be some kind of tax to pay for road maintenance, and right now that's paid for by a gasoline tax. As the number of gas cars dwindle, the tax would dwindle as well.
I agree with you. While JeffK may be right that we need more research into making roads last longer, the issue is independent of needing to collect tax from EV's.

I would prefer a system that does this electronically based on GPS tracking and regular reporting to the areas we drive. Localities can still set their own "road use cost per mile," but let's unify this rather than have every county/state/city/whatever try to make their own hodge-podge system, which is going to complicate the software EV manufacturers have to design.

Supposedly gas tax only accounts for a minority of funds toward road repair meaning whether you buy gas or not you're already paying for road work with general taxes.