Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer disabled after 3hrs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced this on a trip yesterday with AP2 firmware 17.26.76. After using autosteer extensively and disengaging, it was disabled for about 40 minutes until we stopped to supercharge. It was back after that. The sun was setting, so I was wondering if glare had something to do with it, but even during dusk after the glare was gone it did not become available.

Reactions: J1mbo
More odd behavior today. Driving back to D.C. got in EZ Pass express lane in Delaware. It was dusk and there are a series of overpasses you go under. After about the fourth one in rapid succession, car slams on the brakes (at 70mph) and I get a warning that autosteer is disabled for the rest of the drive.

Had a few more incidents earlier in the day while going under overpasses with AP freaking out, so something screwy going on related to overpasses at certain times of day/reflections.

We had a similar problem on our cross country trip. In our case, it happened about every 2 hours, and it usually required us to park for a few hours before it would come back.

Putting the X in park usually didn't bring auto steer back, nor did supercharging. But stopping a longer time for lunch/dinner, or parking overnight usually did bring it back.

Rebooting both screens and powering off had mixed results, sometimes brought it back, sometimes not.

We called Tesla support, and they looked at the computer logs while we were driving. They said that "AP didn't like what it was seeing", but that "this will get better with newer firmware releases".
Strange. I drove on a 5,000 cross country trip last month and just got back from a 1.200 mile trip to Southern Ca. Never had this happen in the MX.

My April 2017 Model X auto steer shuts down every couple of hours. It may restart after the car is stopped and shut off. Resetting the computer has no effect. Seems to restart when if wants. No rhyme or reason to this problem.