Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer disabled after 3hrs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're on a trip right now to Vermont. My wife was driving and right around the 3hr mark she disabled autosteer to get around a semi. Immediatley after that maneuver, the gray steering icon went away and kept saying "Autosteer temporarily unavailable." TACC continued to work.

Figuring she just missed the alerts (although I thought TACC would disable too), we kept going and supercharged shortly after.

I took the next leg, AGAIN, 3:10hrs into my ride about 20min before our next charge, I disable to pull around a slow car and boom, same thing. Can't turn autosteer back on and get "Autosteer temporarily unavailable."

Both times we were on the same interstate that we had been on for at least 20min prior using autosteer the entire time.

Any ideas? Both times after putting the car in park, steering came back.

I have the exact same experience. We've just returned from our first roadtrip (6000 km through Europe) and did some long legs to cover distance. The disappearance of AS was triggered by the combination of two things; 1) driving for more than 2:30 hours and 2) disengaging the AS by manual intervention, for instance in road work areas where I suspected it would get into trouble. After that AS was no longer available unless the car was brought to a full stop or after a reboot of the big screen.

+1 to this - had the same thing recently (MS AP2 17.26.xx) on a road trip.

Couldn't get it back with a reboot or by parking then driving off. Only came back after a 40 min supercharge.

We had a similar problem on our cross country trip. In our case, it happened about every 2 hours, and it usually required us to park for a few hours before it would come back.

Putting the X in park usually didn't bring auto steer back, nor did supercharging. But stopping a longer time for lunch/dinner, or parking overnight usually did bring it back.

Rebooting both screens and powering off had mixed results, sometimes brought it back, sometimes not.

We called Tesla support, and they looked at the computer logs while we were driving. They said that "AP didn't like what it was seeing", but that "this will get better with newer firmware releases".

For comparison's sake, I, for one, have had no such experience. It's true that there are stretches of road that I frequent the I am comfortable that autopilot would handle without a glitch but that, if I take over, it is not always quick to want to take control back. That is, I get the "temporarily unavailable" sign. But it returns within 5 or so seconds reliably.

On the other hand, I've had several 1,000 mile trips now, and the autopilot has never simply turned off for any length of time.

I would ask the folks at Tesla, because that does not sound right to me.

For comparison's sake, I, for one, have had no such experience. It's true that there are stretches of road that I frequent the I am comfortable that autopilot would handle without a glitch but that, if I take over, it is not always quick to want to take control back. That is, I get the "temporarily unavailable" sign. But it returns within 5 or so seconds reliably.

On the other hand, I've had several 1,000 mile trips now, and the autopilot has never simply turned off for any length of time.

I would ask the folks at Tesla, because that does not sound right to me.

It doesn't turn off. It just doesn't turn back on again if you disengage it after driving for a long time.

We just completed a 3,600km road trip through the Gaspé peninsula, NB and PEI, and also had some "unavailable" issues with AP2.0 autosteer on the first .cxxxxxxx firmware release.

In my case, however, it became unavailable for a few minutes (about 5-10), and then reappeared while driving. Most events occurred as posted above (after disengaging manually), but one occurred after an inappropriate "slam the brakes" / "take control immediately" event on a clear stretch of highway. 90% sure I did not miss the nags, sent a bug report. Thankfully there was no vehicle behind us.

For the most part AP did make highway cruising more pleasant, and we will continue using it.

@blake6551 -- She likely exceeded the max autosteer speed while passing (90mph?) and autosteer was consequently disabled until you stopped.

I know this because it might have happened *to a friend*. Not that I'd ever speed. But my friend did.

:)
I was going to guess this too. *My friend* has had this happen twice also. You have to put the car in park to get auto steer back. To avoid this, make sure autosteer is disabled before accelerating, or, you know, stay under 90MPH. At least that's what *my friend* said.

There is a brief message that explains what happened, but no doubt she was focused on passing at the time.

Reactions: EinSV and bonnie
Is this happening for AP1 (J1mbo?) and AP2 cars ... meaning a particular software update vs AP2 calibration sensitivity. I never had such issues on my (RIP) AP1 Tesla X in like 25K miles of road trips.

No - mine is AP2.

If I were to put a bet on this, it would be that the AP unit had run out of storage space for all the autosteer logging that's going on, and wasn't handling the situation properly. If the AP unit had crashed, then TACC & speed limit detection probably wouldn't have continued to work normally as it did.

I was going to guess this too. *My friend* has had this happen twice also. You have to put the car in park to get auto steer back. To avoid this, make sure autosteer is disabled before accelerating, or, you know, stay under 90MPH. At least that's what *my friend* said.

There is a brief message that explains what happened, but no doubt she was focused on passing at the time.

Interesting. I'll watch it on our way back and see what happens. Hadn't though about that.

What are the odds that you and @bonnie have the same *friend*? ;)

Add me to the list of "me too". Only did one trip in this car that required stopping at a supercharger, and for about 100 miles of the journey "autosteer temporarily unavailable" constantly showed up. Rebooting screens did not fix it. Parking for a short 10 minute stop(no charging) did not fix it. It didn't start working again until after it was parked for an overnight.

No - mine is AP2.

If I were to put a bet on this, it would be that the AP unit had run out of storage space for all the autosteer logging that's going on, and wasn't handling the situation properly. If the AP unit had crashed, then TACC & speed limit detection probably wouldn't have continued to work normally as it did.
there's no autosteer logging to run out of space.
The periodic snapshots don't take too much space and the system just stops doing them if it's out of space no impact on actual autosteer functionality.

It doesn't turn off. It just doesn't turn back on again if you disengage it after driving for a long time.

I understood and that is what I meant.

During drives of any duration, I have experience the autopilot choosing not to immediately become available again after I have taken control. But it does not last, at least for me. It becomes available again in maybe 5-10 seconds.

I have a S75D with AP2 and enjoy using it on interstates. I have had AP "unavailable" a couple of times when it should be there. By putting the car in park, it came back. In the past few days I noticed a new behavior. Lane change when turn signal is active, does not occur some times. It works fine for a long time but without warning it ignores the request from the turn signal and I look stupid waiting for a lane change that never will come. No cars are close by and it is safe to move over. Several retries with the turn signal are also ignored. I need disengage the AP and engage it again to fix the issue. Have others had this problem?