Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model 3 Today! Been driving it all day. Man it’s a blast! Long Range AWD! Had the Dual Motor badge too, even though I was told it didn’t!

14ADC5E4-32F8-42A4-B65C-7A1A14C116F2.jpeg
8F89478F-3FA4-4817-94C1-9543DE158214.jpeg
B38AD022-C72E-4B80-B652-922D6D8928DA.jpeg
8D65930A-4F1E-4CE5-A78C-65718EC4594D.jpeg
9E083305-3B3C-40F5-AE37-39B122235998.jpeg
26EE89AC-A9AC-4E86-A4BC-411779037739.jpeg

Congrats .... glad it all went well!

Did you test drive RWD? How did AWD feel versus if so?
Actually I did my test drive in a RWD and i have to say the AWD is noticeably faster even from the little I could remember. The caveat is that I didn’t fully open it up on the test drive with the RWD as I felt funny doing so with the Tesla guy in there. Both were VERY fast and I don’t think anyone would be disappointed with the RWD. It’s faster than you need for sure and DEFINITELY fast enough to be a ton of fun!

Reactions: LyftupX
Reactions: LyftupX
Finally graduating from this thread. I’ve been trapped in here so long I don’t even recognize the user names.

Took delivery today. Car seems great. No paint issues. A couple very minor panel alignment issues. They added EAP for me at the last minute without changing any other pricing or charging a change fee. So it CAN be done. They also are supposedly adding a referral code per my request.

Overall, this delivery process (getting ghosted by Tesla for months, then teased, while stressing over tax credit) was the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced.

Reserved 8/3/17
Ordered 6/30/18
Delivered 11/19/18 (Tyson’s Corner Virginia)
Never changed order until adding EAP on delivery day.
M3 LR DM-AWD
Metallic silver (now discontinued)
Black interior
Aero wheels
EAP (not enabled yet)
Vin 114xxx
October 2018 build
Software version 2018.42.4
No dual motor badging

See you all in the other M3 subforums. And good luck to those still waiting.
Congrats on finishing the journey to your car! I totally get what you're saying about all the new usernames! It looks like I will finally get my car tomorrow and I, too, will move on from this forum.

Reactions: dave999z
It finally happened; we picked up the car today. I didn't do a full inspection but did note the following:

The Cherry Hill SC was packed with new cars for delivery. There was really no place for customers to park. Far more than I've seen on previous visits. End of year push is probably beginning now. Three cars were staged inside for immediate delivery: mine, a black S and a black 3. The folks were great, we were not rushed at all. Paperwork took maybe 10 minutes.

Build: Oct 2018. Six miles on the odometer.
Things I don't care about too much:
  • Exterior detailing/paint: perfect viewed while in the SC. I need to check it in sunlight, but I'm not a paint perfectionist.
  • Left headlight: bottom edge protrudes much more than the other headlight.
  • Rear doors: both rear door closures could use adjusting, too much force is required to close.
  • Rear door gaps: back edge of right rear is borderline large; left rear: large gap
  • Interior: perfect except for a small dark smudge on driver A pillar
Things I expect to be perfect:
  • Steering wheel alignment is off by a couple of degrees
  • Wheel alignment is off by a small amount; a very slight pull to the left. In the opposite direction of the steering wheel.
  • There was a very faint low frequency rumble that is either due to the alignment or possibly the tires flat spotted from sitting idle too long. I think the latter because it may have cleared up with the small bit of driving I did today. I wasn't on the best roads so need to check it out some more.
  • Underside/fasteners: Not checked. I told them I expect repair of any transportation damage; they confirmed they've seen this a few times (!) and it is easily recognized.

Took the long way home; didn't push the car at all; too much holiday traffic. But I really really like what I see (as expected).

With only 38 miles now on the OD I have to do a lot more driving tomorrow before the rain arrives.... :rolleyes:

Here are a couple of pics.

well i can say for sure this has been the worst experience. after being promised the car this last wednesday, and then being told the night before (after my wife took off from work and jumping through so many hoops to meet the delivery date) i am finally told that it will be 7-10 days before they can deliver the car to my house. Beyond that i was told that you get a personal experience at your house similar to the delivery center and it turns out that is not the case at all. If you are not a cash paying (no loan) or near a delivery center you pretty much have different people telling you different things. Now i am fully funded and am told the car will be dropped off some time in the next 7-10 days and that it will be dropped off no matter if we are home or not with a that day call that they are delivering the vehicle. I am shocked that the most expensive car i have ever purchased (2x the price of my last car) how bad a) the communication is b) how nobody seems to say the same things about how it all works c) that they drop the car off and it’s either a full reject (who knows how long before i get the car if i do that) or accept the car and deal with issues after the fact (nearest service center is 7 hours from here). Now they have all my money, i have no car... with no delivery date set in stone. if i knew how this would have gone i would have gone to Denver to pick up the car. Very disappointed. I have had better service but a ford focus.

the whole thing is one big check because my bank was confused and wanted to send the down and loan in one check, it’s the whole of it minus 2500. more so i don’t look forward to dealing with them in the future. they need to get this in order. if my car shows up damagad beyond simple stuff i am going to ask for a full refund, does not matter how amazing this car is, there is no way it’s worth this effort for the price.

i am frustrated about broken promises, false truths, not flying up there to get the car because i did not know the difference. i am worried about all the things that could go wrong. i am sure i will get the car and it will be amazing... But i won’t buy another tesla till they have a service/delivery center in New Mexico

man i see your point about being mad about nothing. part of me feels this is not a big deal, the other part still can’t believe i spent this much money on a car. The person i spoke to on the phone leading up to last wednesday said that the car was for sure going to be here last wednesday. then she said monday, now i have no idea when i will actually get the car.

My experience was unlike many here. Car was perfect. Maybe I’m not looking in enough detail but if I can’t see or hear an issue with my bare eyes and without measurement scrutiny, it’s not an issue IMO. Pickup was 13 days ahead of expected. Only thing I was told by 2 separate DAs was that it wouldn’t have the Dual Motor badge and it did! Turned out to be a pleasant surprise!

• Love
Reactions: more863-also
man i see your point about being mad about nothing. part of me feels this is not a big deal, the other part still can’t believe i spent this much money on a car. The person i spoke to on the phone leading up to last wednesday said that the car was for sure going to be here last wednesday. then she said monday, now i have no idea when i will actually get the car.

I am awaiting delivery on Tesla #4, Multicoat Red AWD Model 3.
Tesla #3 a Black 100D was totaled in an accident last month with less than 1500 miles.

Process in my experience works similar this;

1. Place down payment on car through Tesla Web Site.
2. Process then goes to DA.
3. DA appear to arrange the logistics of delivery to your local Service Center and hands the process over to your local Service Center after logistics has completed delivery.
4. Local Service Center once they actually have your car in their possession do the actual work of making certain all potential issues are resolved prior to delivery, paint defects, body panel misalignment etc, cleanup and final prep for handover to customer.
5. Local Service Center will determine actual delivery time based upon what is discovered in #4 and how their schedule looks.

Advice is find the number of local Service Center a few days prior to the delivery date showing in your Tesla Portal to confirm the car is actually at their site and where you fit in their queue.

Guys need some help. Got a text saying "Your Tesla has arrived at its delivery center. Please complete outstanding Checkout items at www.tesla.com/teslaaccount in the next 48 hours." There are no outstanding checkout items on my page. My trade in section says pending and was never updated with my value even though I called and they told me their approved amount. Has anyone had this happen?

Maybe I’m not looking in enough detail but if I can’t see or hear an issue with my bare eyes and without measurement scrutiny, it’s not an issue IMO.

See that is your problem. You are not looking hard enough.

Did you look at the undercarriage? run your fingers through the tires? I am sure there will be a scratch or two. What panel gap measuring device did you take with you? Anything less than Vernier calipers, you are slipping. Haven't you seen all the Business Insider, WSJ, Bloomberg and Seeking Lies articles on imperfect paints and panel gaps? How can they all be wrong?

Go back and look hard with a magnifying lens. Post in TMC, Reddit and create a stink.

You will feel good.

• Funny
Reactions: GaryC
Guys need some help. Got a text saying "Your Tesla has arrived at its delivery center. Please complete outstanding Checkout items at www.tesla.com/teslaaccount in the next 48 hours." There are no outstanding checkout items on my page. My trade in section says pending and was never updated with my value even though I called and they told me their approved amount. Has anyone had this happen?

Happened to me on a 2014 Model S trade in to Tesla. You should have a MVPA that now appears within your Tesla portal under documents section. The trade in amount will be itemized in the MVPA.