Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well... Ok... If that's what ya *need*.

Reserved 12/2017
Ordered 06/28
Edit/Finance 08/10
First Call 08/10

No VIN given to me yet... but according to IDA, it exists (but won't give to me until after it hits the delivery center/passes inspection).

giphy.webp

but still, some reserved 2 1/2 yrs ago, I reserved 1 yr ago, others never reserved or reserved date==order date. I would be in the "divide by zero" exception category. That bar graph is for day 1 reservations only, right? Plus/minus they have to be flushed out before they get to me. Earlier up the list I used CJ's spreadsheet to count reservations 3/31/16 through about 4/20/16 and 4/21/16 through 9/30/17. As I recall, it was like 350 to 100(or less). I am guessing that puts me into a VIN by Aug 31. I could also be wrong.

I think, to answer your question, yes. I should have commented on the table. What it's showing is that:
  • 29% of 175 Day 1 reservationists (?) have received a VIN or received their AWD or Performance car
  • Only 5.3% of 247 people who reserved in 2016 but after Day 1 have received a VIN (or car)
  • 1 of 139 people who reserved in 2018 received a VIN / car
  • And none of 99 people who reserved in 2017 have received a VIN / car yet (divide by zero)
  • There are 9 (not shown) who didn't provide a Reservation Date, but none of those have received a VIN / car
Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
I just called the Tesla Sales Number to find out the status of my Order.
The lady on the phone said that everything was looking good on my order but there is not VIN assigned.
She could not tell me when I will be assigned a VIN. She just mentioned the general timeline that all Model 3 delivery timelines are 2-4 months.

From Troy's Spreadsheet I see there are VIN assignments reported for 23 AWD Red configurations. Some of them are for configuration date later than mine.

I am desperate to see some movement on my Order. I am spending hours and hours reading posts on this forum, checking my Tesla account and checking my gmail.

Reserved: 04/22/2016
Configured: 06/28/2018
Payment: Cash - No Trade In
LR AWD, Red, 19" Sport, EAP+FSD

I think, to answer your question, yes. I should have commented on the table. What it's showing is that:
  • 29% of 175 Day 1 reservationists (?) have received a VIN or received their AWD or Performance car
  • Only 5.3% of 247 people who reserved in 2016 but after Day 1 have received a VIN (or car)
  • 1 of 139 people who reserved in 2018 received a VIN / car
  • And none of 99 people who reserved in 2017 have received a VIN / car yet (divide by zero)
  • There are 9 (not shown) who didn't provide a Reservation Date, but none of those have received a VIN / car
Hope this helps.
It does, thanks! I've only briefly used google sheets. It's been so long since I've used Excel, I am a Linux guy so I use LibreOffice. However, I am impressed with the graphs and charts you, Troy, and CJ have produced.
The biggest bubble, by far is reservations in March 31->Apr 10th or so. After that it drops precipitously. Once all those orders have have been fulfilled the sheets, even with a 2% response rate, will, IMHO, yield more reliable/sustainable results. Freemont will have hit a sustainable run rate, which, to my knowledge, they still don't have and the next bubble will be opening the SR floodgates but, by then, they'll likely be chugging along at 6500->7000 per month.
On your bullet #2, I suspect over the next week to 10 days, that'll dramatically change, which will end, until SR, the reserve to VIN perturbation. But yeah J, that's good work!

Question: There seems to be several data sources, Which one do you use? I just, yesterday, I believe, add my info to Troy's. It's been on CJ's for a month or more. I suspect few people will go through the effort to cross post, adding to sampling differences.

Last edited:
A ton of people buy autos in the $50-$80k price range... and Tesla has shown those in a lower bracket will pay more to get into a Tesla. I'm one of those

Ditto. My P3D+ order is twice the amount I've ever spent on a car. But I planned waaaay ahead and saved enough to put down over half in cash. So... it ends up in the same range as any of my previous decades auto purchases. I just pretend the cash doesn't exist in my head. ;P

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
A ton of people buy autos in the $50-$80k price range... and Tesla has shown those in a lower bracket will pay more to get into a Tesla. I'm one of those
Chris, don't take it personally. I didn't say all, I said a lot. As the saying goes TWT.
But how has Tesla shown that? The only Tesla owners I know are either very wealthy or very well established career wise. Having said that, in 6-9 months they'll be selling a very nice $35K EV. I expect by this time next year the streets will be thick with Teslas.

As for the statistics on this...let Google be your guide.
17 Important Car Buyer Demographics - BrandonGaille.com

Last edited:
So, 700 posts... ain't gonna read them all. But just curious if anyone has a good sense of what the AWD delivery rollout is looking like.
Previous S and X owner. Deposit on March 31 online night of launch, reserved 6/28 for AWD. Seems like I oughta be up there in the queue, but still just showing a RN number.
I am a Roadster and prior Model S Signature owner. I reserved Model 3 day of sign up but also held out for AWD. When I configured and saw the long delay, I asked Tesla about it and was told that being a prior owner only helped you get to the front of the line for the initial RWD version. When they opened up AWD for configuring, they opened it up for EVERYONE and being prior owner didn't give you any priority.

When they opened up AWD for configuring, they opened it up for EVERYONE and being prior owner didn't give you any priority.
I noticed that in their support page... I suspect the same is true for employees.
I’m a Model 3 reservation holder. Will I receive priority delivery?
Actual delivery timeframes are based on reservation date, order date, delivery location and vehicle configuration.

no employee status or prior owner.