Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checked our Tesla account, and lo and behold, we have a VIN, 114XXX! We're just a few days from our scheduled delivery. :)

Our Tesla account still says "we are drafting up your contract", so no MVPA or invitation to pay yet. We haven't yet been contacted by a delivery person, just a couple of emails with a DSA (delivery scheduling advisor) when they set up our delivery appointment.

Our only issue so far is that the Tesla referral program told us they'd ship a Signature Black Wall Connector to us by Sept. 5, to be used with the Model 3, and the Tesla shipping system seems to be rejecting non-USPS delivery addresses, even though they're using FedEx as the carrier. (USPS requires everyone in our area to use PO boxes and our local, physical street addresses are not in the USPS database. FedEx, UPS, and all other carriers do deliver to physical addresses here, though.) In the past, ordering from the Tesla online store was problematic for this reason, even though the vast majority of online retailers have no problem shipping to us. As an alternative, I asked Tesla to deliver the charger to our Service Center for us to pick up with the Model 3, but it appears they still haven't done that and I'm not crazy about having to make an additional 2.5 hour round trip to the Service Center just to pick up the charger. Regrettably, I'm going to have to bug Tesla about this on Monday. I guess this is a pretty minor issue compared to getting the car itself, but we do a lot of driving/charging and already have someone lined up to install the Wall Connector as part of a larger job.
Not quite sure why you are having a problem with deliveries. I have the same mailing set-up as you and I get my items delivered to my door no problem. I ordered 2 mats and the tire kit for our 3 and it was delivered no problem last week. pick up the 3 on wed.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and neroden
In 6 months when they, again, cut the cost of ownership of a Tesla in half they will likely be back in the barrel, customer delivery service wise. But, that said, everyone I know who owns a Tesla say the same thing, their, after the sale, customer service is second to none.

For reference, my disagree here is that I've owned a Model S for 5 years and their customer service has left a LOT to be desired. The individual service people are always great, once you reach them, but getting through the call center to actually reach them is a PITA, your information gets lost at every stage, they are unable to get parts out of the central office in a timely fashion, and as a result I've gotten the runaround too many times to count. Not to mention the times when people showed up with the wrong parts. Also, Tesla Engineering is a black hole out of which no information ever comes -- the local service people can't do anything it if it requires engineering help -- and the software engineering department never fixes bugs, but does create a lot of new bugs (I would seriously fire whoever's in charge of the department at this point).

• Informative
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
For reference, my disagree here is that I've owned a Model S for 5 years and their customer service has left a LOT to be desired. The individual service people are always great, once you reach them, but getting through the call center to actually reach them is a PITA, your information gets lost at every stage, they are unable to get parts out of the central office in a timely fashion, and as a result I've gotten the runaround too many times to count. Also, Tesla Engineering is a black hole out of which no information ever comes -- the local service people can't do anything it if it requires engineering help -- and the software engineering department never fixes bugs, but does create a lot of new bugs (I would seriously fire whoever's in charge of the department at this point).
I know you are trying to be helpful and I certainly appreciate your inputs on this thread. But dang, you sure have a HO for firing people.
youre fired.gif

I know you are trying to be helpful and I certainly appreciate your inputs on this thread. But dang, you sure have a HO for firing people. View attachment 337461

Read up on Musk. He fires people a *lot* more aggressively than my style. He's just not been paying attention to some of the biggest problems in the company.

Large parts of the software department are neither tracking nor prioritizing bugs and has no system for testing for regressions. This has become very clear over the last 4 years. This is compounded by total communications failure, where nobody in the rest of the company can get information out of them. We didn't tolerate this in *all-volunteer* projects.

Yes, I am stranded on the island of misfit toys, Sakaar, or wherever we are. I'm not too bent out of shape with the delivery window since we're still in the Sep - Nov timeframe, but there is some forum induced anxiety (FIA) around falling through the cracks based on others' experiences. It doesn't help to see non-res holders receiving AWD configs before res holders. What is up with that? A couple here and there to round out a shipment to a particular store where there is just absolutely no res holders in the area maybe, but seems like there are too many for that to be the case.

Maybe it is all just paranoia from FIA syndrome... Orderly! I'd like to go back to my special padded room now. The one with the white interior, the lithium, and the elctro ... aghhhh! (sounds of restraints and a brief flash of sign that reads "TMC: the Tesla Mental Care facility", fade to obsidian black)

This has to be the single best post ever on these forums. The Oscar goes to...

This is craziness.

I received an email to setup the appointment on 9/17 to choose a delivery date of either 9/24 or 9/25. I chose the afternoon of 9/25 and was then quickly scheduled for 2pm on 9/25. I was told to hang tight, "someone" would be in touch with me closer to my delivery date.

I then moved onto financing, which I was able to setup pretty quickly, all the way up until I needed the MVPA to proceed any further (this was Tuesday, 9/18). No problem, I thought, this is what I expected.

I patiently waited a few days for "someone" to contact me. Finally, on Friday, I called Tesla and asked about it. The service rep, who was very nice, said I definitely should have heard something by now from my IDA. She looked in the system and determined that IDA is Lauren C. She then appeared to instant message Lauren to move my account along. At this point, I'm kind of aggravated because I think that if I wouldn't have called nothing would have happened. Anyway, Lauren did email me on Friday around 2pm asking that I provide some additional information (copies of our licenses and some trust information since we are registering the vehicle to our living trust). No problem, I think, I can get that to her by 5pm central. I'm told I should have a VIN and the MVPA by the end of the day. I don't.

I call first thing this morning (Saturday) and again get connected to a nice CSA who, again, was able to instant message Lauren and ask what's going on. Lauren says she received my information Friday and has now sent my data to "another department" to draft my purchase agreement. I still don't have a VIN. I'm told by Lauren I should have it today (Saturday). I don't.

All along, I've made it perfectly clear that if I do not get the MVPA by 8am on Monday, Tesla will not get paid when I pick up the car.

That being said, I'm probably being pretty presumptuous that I actually will be able to pick up anything on Tuesday, I still don't have a VIN or an MVPA. I'm convinced they aren't even sure if there will be a car there for me on Tuesday and likely have no idea if there is even a matching car in the midwest. I have been told by Lauren that I will "definitely" have a VIN and MVPA by Monday morning, first thing. I'm not holding my breath.

Let me say, Lauren has been pretty responsive - so I have no complaints there. I just feel she really doesn't have all the information to really be helpful at all. I basically just hear, "XYZ will happen". And XYZ never happens.

I'm not too stressed because I didn't actually order the vehicle until 8/11 - so I can wait a few weeks no problem. It's just the old "do what you say your'e gonna do" thing.

Sigh. Thanks for listening.

Update. T-minus 44 hours til delivery. Still no VIN. Still no MVPA. Still no ability for the CU to pay Tesla. Tesla still claiming all in on track.

Well just got the call..16hrs before my scheduled delivery at 10am tomorrow...was told my car hasn’t arrived. After I got off the phone I shortly got a text about my delivery tomorrow and to make sure all the registrants are present to sign documentation. So I called back the number I received the call from inquiring about. Tesla person calls me back and says that it’s a generic text and that my car has not arrived. I asked about whether they can ping the car...and he tells me he just did and that it’s at a rail hub in Baltimore Maryland, and hasn’t been picked up by a truck yet. My insurance was set to start tomorrow and now I also have to cancel my appointment for tints/clear bra.

For reference, my disagree here is that I've owned a Model S for 5 years and their customer service has left a LOT to be desired. The individual service people are always great, once you reach them, but getting through the call center to actually reach them is a PITA, your information gets lost at every stage, they are unable to get parts out of the central office in a timely fashion, and as a result I've gotten the runaround too many times to count. Not to mention the times when people showed up with the wrong parts. Also, Tesla Engineering is a black hole out of which no information ever comes -- the local service people can't do anything it if it requires engineering help -- and the software engineering department never fixes bugs, but does create a lot of new bugs (I would seriously fire whoever's in charge of the department at this point).
On your second point, I agree. They need help and seasoned help, not interns, not associate level, but whole system architects. This is a choke point for them and if SR $35000 M3s dwarf LR sales they'll get bit yet again.
On your first point, I suspect it is maturation. My friend in La Jolla, as I recall, got his first S in 2015 and will pick up his second on the 4th of Oct. He had really good experiences both times, but that first was a year or two after you got yours so the staff was pruned and seasoned, in theory, by then. What's odd is your experience and his are so radically different but a year or so apart.

Well just got the call..16hrs before my scheduled delivery at 10am tomorrow...was told my car hasn’t arrived. After I got off the phone I shortly got a text about my delivery tomorrow and to make sure all the registrants are present to sign documentation. So I called back the number I received the call from inquiring about. Tesla person calls me back and says that it’s a generic text and that my car has not arrived. I asked about whether they can ping the car...and he tells me he just did and that it’s at a rail hub in Baltimore Maryland, and hasn’t been picked up by a truck yet. My insurance was set to start tomorrow and now I also have to cancel my appointment for tints/clear bra.
How many times has your Bimmer been in the shop?

Still waiting. I reserved the first moment I could online back in 2016. Got the configure email back in April and configured then. I let the looooong delay slide because I knew Tesla was trying to keep deliveries to US low to maintain the full six months of tax credits, and it gave me a chance to switch to AWD in June. Changed from black interior to white in July and nothing since. I’ve called a couple times and have been told both times everything was good on my end and to be patient, which would be easier if I wasn’t browsing Tesla forums and seeing people who never reserved and ordered after even my change dates (when you take into account my reservation date and original configuration date it’s ridiculous) getting VINs and cars while I hear nothing.

AWD, Red, Aero, White interior.
I believe there is something wrong with your order also. There was a inside delivery phone number posted on this site, not the 800 #. I would see if anyone had that number and give them a Call. Never hurts to Call and remember to try and be kind to them. Good luck

At this point I’m kind of hoping my appointment gets cancelled until next week or the week after. I’d rather do this when things aren’t so crazy. I’d rather my car be at the SC for a day or two so they have time to prep it for delivery.

Update. T-minus 44 hours til delivery. Still no VIN. Still no MVPA. Still no ability for the CU to pay Tesla. Tesla still claiming all in on track.
It's not happening. Since you're this close to the fake delivery date, just wait for the "We have cancelled your appointment" call.

(Of course, check to see if the MVPA and VIN do show up on Monday.)

Reactions: willa1975
Took delivery of my AWD Model 3 last night in Fremont. I was originally scheduled for 9/29, but as I went with Lightstream for financing and had the cash in my account (and no trade) I sent my DSA an email earlier this week letting them know that if they had an earlier delivery slot that I'd be happy to take them up on it (in my mind easier than waiting until the very end of the month, ha).

My timeslot was 7 pm, and we got there about 15 minutes early. The place was overrun with people, so I expected a wait. As we moved into the building I went around to look at the demo car and my jaw dropped. Standing there in front of a Model 3 was Elon Musk himself. My wife didn't understand why I suddenly went silent until I explained who the guy towering over everyone was. Don't worry, I had enough presence of mind to shake his hand, speak some words, and take a photo :)

Unfortunately, it wasn't nearly as fun from there. Long story short -- Didn't drive off with my car last night until about 10:30pm. Car was largely perfect, but for two imperfections I spotted and had added to a due bill -- 1) a black stain on the headliner above the driver's seat that the DC couldn't seem to scrub clean and 2) a very tiny paint imperfection on the driver's side front fender (looks like 2 rock chips side by side, if I'm honest).

The car is frankly everything I'd hoped. Brisk acceleration, relatively flat cornering, and some frankly incredible highway-passing speed/acceleration. A bit of a learning curve on some of the controls (mirrors, steering wheel, glove box, etc.) but altogether a pretty cool experience. Oh, and my Slacker Streaming app keeps returning an "Invalid Account" message, but I've sent an email about that and hoping it's not a big problem to solve.

All-in-all, I'm pleased. Considering I ordered in early July and reserved not long (like maybe a month) before that, it was quite the turnaround. I suspect this was also a situation where being in the Bay Area near the end of the quarter and paying in cash/having no trade also worked to my advantage.