Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome iOS App called Stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New feature (in beta now):

IMG_41E41C050816-1.jpeg

Nothing is ever “free.” How do you think the “free” apps survive? They sell your data. Stats is a one time fee of $10 and you get a lot of very helpful information. Like they say, you get what you pay for.
In general, that's true and with respect to Tesla apps, if they are free, read their privacy policy if you don't want your data to be sold.
Our privacy policy is in the FAQ and in the App Store (no selling data of any sort).

Reactions: FlatSix911
Based on a suggestion from a user of the app on another forum, I'm considering implementing a battery pre-heat feature that goes like this:

• User sets the charge limit to 85%
  • Overnight, the car is charged to 85% and stops charging
  • The app increases the charge limit to 90% about 15 minutes before the time that user has scheduled (for pre-heat) so that the battery is warmed up by the time the user gets in the car.

Do you find this useful? Does it make sense?

Based on a suggestion from a user of the app on another forum, I'm considering implementing a battery pre-heat feature that goes like this:

• User sets the charge limit to 85%
  • Overnight, the car is charged to 85% and stops charging
  • The app increases the charge limit to 90% about 15 minutes before the time that user has scheduled (for pre-heat) so that the battery is warmed up by the time the user gets in the car.

Do you find this useful? Does it make sense?

Yes, this would be terrific. I manually do this in the winter time, but my charger is only 30A so I’m charging to 80%, and then topping of to 90% an hour before I leave. So if we can play with the timing? That be great. And yes, in extreme cold weather, 10% is a good gauge for me and still with that I might have limited regen.

Yes, this would be terrific. I manually do this in the winter time, but my charger is only 30A so I’m charging to 80%, and then topping of to 90% an hour before I leave. So if we can play with the timing? That be great. And yes, in extreme cold weather, 10% is a good gauge for me and still with that I might have limited regen.
Good idea to make these parameters that the user can set.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
@rawmean, I haven't read through the last several pages to catch up - maybe you've covered this, but I wanted to make sure the app properly tracks "negative" vampire drain.

It wasn't cold last night, but for whatever reason, I parked my car in the garage (unplugged) with 210 rated miles remaining (I have a picture so I am sure), and when got back in the car this morning it had 217 rated miles. I've never seen such a large positive change before (I recently updated to 50.6), and presumably this is just battery state estimation just coming up with a different answer due to temperature, etc. Early yesterday I had seen enormous (12 miles in 3 hours) vampire drain for no reason, so it looked to be "compensation" for that event. The Stats app shows me 15.5 miles of drain in 15 hours yesterday, and 2 miles today. Those numbers don't appear to represent the reality of my actual vampire drain (though it's hard for me to say for sure). I think it's closer to about 9-10 miles in the last two days. (I'll be able to give you a better idea of what the actual number was when I recharge later today.)

I just want to make sure such "negative" vampire excursions (meaning positive changes in battery state of charge) are captured properly.

I know such things can easily happen with the snowflake for the cold battery, in cold temperatures, but this was not one of those times (it was about 55 last night in San Diego, the car was reasonably cold soaked to 55 degrees, and it was about 60 degrees in the garage, parked overnight for about 9 hours). Not an extraordinary situation...

@rawmean, I haven't read through the last several pages to catch up - maybe you've covered this, but I wanted to make sure the app properly tracks "negative" vampire drain.

It wasn't cold last night, but for whatever reason, I parked my car in the garage (unplugged) with 210 rated miles remaining (I have a picture so I am sure), and when got back in the car this morning it had 217 rated miles. I've never seen such a large positive change before (I recently updated to 50.6), and presumably this is just battery state estimation just coming up with a different answer due to temperature, etc. Early yesterday I had seen enormous (12 miles in 3 hours) vampire drain for no reason, so it looked to be "compensation" for that event. The Stats app shows me 15.5 miles of drain in 15 hours yesterday, and 2 miles today. Those numbers don't appear to represent the reality of my actual vampire drain (though it's hard for me to say for sure). I think it's closer to about 9-10 miles in the last two days. (I'll be able to give you a better idea of what the actual number was when I recharge later today.)

I just want to make sure such "negative" vampire excursions (meaning positive changes in battery state of charge) are captured properly.

I know such things can easily happen with the snowflake for the cold battery, in cold temperatures, but this was not one of those times (it was about 55 last night in San Diego, the car was reasonably cold soaked to 55 degrees, and it was about 60 degrees in the garage, parked overnight for about 9 hours). Not an extraordinary situation...
The app does not report a phantom drain is the drain is not positive. I believe you, but I haven't observed it. I am also in San Diego, BTW.
I can understand if the "estimated range" changes with temperature, but the "rated temperature" is supposed be independent of temperature.

The app does not report a phantom drain is the drain is not positive. I believe you, but I haven't observed it. I am also in San Diego, BTW.
I can understand if the "estimated range" changes with temperature, but the "rated temperature" is supposed be independent of temperature.

Yeah, I had not observed this until the latest update (perhaps occasionally I would see the mile tick up by a mile or so when I was sitting in the car, but nothing like this - it always went down! :) ).

To be clear, this was the rated range indication that changed; it was the battery bar at the top of the screen. 210 miles last night, 217 miles this morning, unplugged overnight. The available energy seemed to "stick" - I had to drive about 10 miles (downhill a bit from Scripps Ranch to the I-15/CA-163 merge) to get back to 209 miles).

"rated temperature" is supposed be independent of temperature.

I assume you meant "rated range"....but anyway, rated range is presumably SUPPOSED to be independent of temperature, but this is only as good as their temperature compensation algorithms/formulas in their battery state estimation software. Even for very modest "near room temp" temp changes, the battery voltage changes with temperature, the sensor outputs change with temperature, etc., the amount these things change for a given temperature change depends on the state of charge of the battery, etc. And everything is probably non-linear with temperature. And that's probably just scratching the surface of the list of possible factors. So they presumably try to compensate for these factors in the final reported number to give you a good idea of your actual available energy and abstract away that complexity. It's a hard problem. If these algorithms are off (or the available battery energy changes - seems dubious that it would be so much in this case though), the reported miles will fluctuate, possibly positively. That sort of fluctuation is not permanent and it all cancels out in the end...but if the tracking app only accounts for deductions (which obviously are much more the norm), it will end up being slightly biased. Especially if the Tesla software/firmware is screwed up temporarily for whatever reason.

I assume you meant "rated range"....but anyway, rated range is presumably SUPPOSED to be independent of temperature, but this is only as good as their temperature compensation algorithms/formulas in their battery state estimation software. Even for very modest "near room temp" temp changes, the battery voltage changes with temperature, the sensor outputs change with temperature, etc., the amount these things change for a given temperature change depends on the state of charge of the battery, etc. And everything is probably non-linear with temperature. And that's probably just scratching the surface of the list of possible factors. So they presumably try to compensate for these factors in the final reported number to give you a good idea of your actual available energy and abstract away that complexity. It's a hard problem. If these algorithms are off (or the available battery energy changes - seems dubious that it would be so much in this case though), the reported miles will fluctuate, possibly positively. That sort of fluctuation is not permanent and it all cancels out in the end...but if the tracking app only accounts for deductions (which obviously are much more the norm), it will end up being slightly biased. Especially if the Tesla software/firmware is screwed up temporarily for whatever reason.
Yes I mean "ranged range" (not temperature).
Looks like Tesla is experimenting with their algorithm for temperature compensation to compute rated range and SoC.

Yes I mean "ranged range" (not temperature).
Looks like Tesla is experimenting with their algorithm for temperature compensation to compute rated range and SoC.

FWIW, my actual vampire drain appeared to be closer to 15 miles for this period, while the total Stats number for the period said 18 (my best approximation to the total based on when Stats reported the drain). So not as much of a discrepancy as I would have expected, but there is some. There's a lot of stuff going on here though. Overlaid effects.

M3 MR vs Chevy Bolt (energy consumption)

FWIW, my actual vampire drain appeared to be closer to 15 miles for this period, while the total Stats number for the period said 18 (my best approximation to the total based on when Stats reported the drain). So not as much of a discrepancy as I would have expected, but there is some. There's a lot of stuff going on here though. Overlaid effects.

M3 MR vs Chevy Bolt (energy consumption)
The phantom drain reported by Stats is strictly based on the numbers obtained from Tesla API.

The phantom drain reported by Stats is strictly based on the numbers obtained from Tesla API.

Understood...I don't know how the API works, at all. But in this case when I left the car the rated range was 210 & when I came back it was 217. So the question is what the API would report, and how the app would respond to that (presumably rare) case. If the API doesn't provide useful information for such an event, then the app won't be able to track it either.