Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back up or pull-in to 1 car garage for 2023 MY without USS?

Do you back in or pull into garage?

• Back in

• Pull in

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really a complaint post about USS, but rather curious what are the preferred/optimal way people park their Tesla's especially without USS into a single car garage.

This question came to mind as I am trying to decide which side to install the charger or do I even want to install it inside the garage given the tight space.

My MYP is arriving this month and I think it's going to be a tight squeeze. Really wish it still had the self park and summon feature.

I'm in a similar situation. I got my MYLR three weeks ago. I backed into my one-car garage the first few times, but I was always nervous. I then got a car parkingmat, Amazon ASIN B01AXJS5KY. I found it was much easier to pull in until I rolled over the mat bump so I wouldn't hit anything. It is also much easier to back out when watching the screen. I can be less precise when backing out of the garage and it is much less stressful.

Reactions: JTEV
I back in, so that when I go to work, I can just go straight out. It's a long driveway from the street to the back of my house where the detached garage is. It's easier to spend time at night when I get home, rather than when I'm rushing to go to work.

Actually, whenever possible, I back into driveways so that I don't have to back into the road later.

My garage is actually a two car garage, but there's so much crap in there there's only room for one car. It has a line down the middle of the floor for whatever reason, but I use it as an identifier of where I am (side to side). Then, near the back, I put a piece of tape on the ground, once the view of the rear bumper in the back up camera passes it, I'm clear of the garage door, with enough room for me to walk around the front MYP if I need to.

I pull into my garage. USS is good even when backing though. I find it useful in parking garages. Sometimes difficult....for me at least to judge distance to objects through the camera.

We have a private drive here though so backing out not an issue. I can understand in situations where you live on a busy street where cars are coming up the road fast it's probably safer to back in so you can pull out head first.

I prefer to back in for the reasons cited above-cameras and side mirrors make it easy to aim the car; fast exit in the morning. Plus it’s safer to back into the driveway from the street than the other way around.

My HPWC is mounted near the garage door so it can charge my car in the garage or a visitor’s car backed into the driveway. Thus I now pull into the garage.

I back In since there are no USS and backing in, I can see the back and sides which is what I need vs pulling in and only see sides and not the front how far in you have to go and the side views are only after the fenders so the front end, bumper would already be hitting something before camera can pickup.

I have always backed in. Well before cameras or uss.

Why? Side mirrors let me see down both sides of the car very easily. No guessing where the front corner of the car is at like when pulling in forward.

I do sometimes put a target on the ground where the back drivers side tire should end up. Learned that from driving a fire truck.

Reactions: bluenycom and JTEV
Not really a complaint post about USS, but rather curious what are the preferred/optimal way people park their Tesla's especially without USS into a single car garage.

This question came to mind as I am trying to decide which side to install the charger or do I even want to install it inside the garage given the tight space.

My MYP is arriving this month and I think it's going to be a tight squeeze. Really wish it still had the self park and summon feature.

In my minds, that's three unrelated questions.

Installing charger - Is it a single or dual garage? If dual, what are the plans for the second EV? But in general, unless you HAVE to do it differently, pull in like you've always pulled into.

USS - Cars and garages existed for over 100 years without the ultrasonics. I have ultrasonics, they work, but I don't use them to back into my garage. I have certain criteria that I use when backing in, like where my rear-view lines point to and exactly where my door needs to be so that I can open it. All I know is that the ultrasonics tend to beep their head off as I ignore them.

Self-Park and summon may not even help at this point (maybe will change in the future). Summon wants some decent clearances around the car that are often invalidated when pulling in a tight garage.

The garage stall I park the Y in is really tight because of some shelving and such I put in, so the USS are worthless pulling in because I only have about 1" of clearance, and the USS only report down to 12".

Backing in is not an option because I want to use the trunk. So what I did was put down reflective tape on the ground where the door meets the cement. I pull in as normal, with the repeater cams on. As soon as I see the reflective tape in the rear camera, the rear bumper will clear the door, and the front bumper is about 1" from the landing in front of the car.

Reactions: ewoodrick
Pull in to the narrow space because it's easy to see where everything is, back out because you're pulling into a big empty space with nothing to run into. You only need to watch whether your mirrors are going to clear the door on the way out. I don't use any of the cameras or sensors going either way. They're binging, bonging, and alarming the whole way in and out as there are only a couple of inches clearance, they drive me crazy. I certainly wouldn't trust them with regards to the distances they report, as they are wacky. Prior car had no such sensors or cameras. It's been a decade in this house and haven't hit anything yet. ;-)

Honestly, parking distance sensors are pretty much useless in my garage. They go ape and provide almost no value, because everything in the garage is a couple feet away. If the Tesla had a geofenced option to disable parking distance at my house, I would do it. I park with mirrors, eyes, and cameras because I need to pull in and out closer to stuff than sensor systems are comfortable with.

Reactions: rwiegand
Pull in, back out. With both cars. WC is on the divider between the two cars; cable reaches both ways. Driveway's not that long.

Turn on the rear camera when pulling in: Can see the clearance the door easily that way.

Of course, it would help if the builder of the house had not put a 1.5" jump up to the garage floor level. In that case, could probably get the car to semi-auto-park. But it gets stuck on the jump, so nope.