Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Be honest: is SCing on a long trip annoying?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We mostly do trips that require one SC, then destination charging. I absolutely love that stop, it's always timed just about right. We charge 20 min (as should most stops) and go. Sometimes we will charge longer if we are eating cuz why not?

Now, i recall doing 12 hour drives across Kansas over every other weekend to go see a girlfriend in Vail. I can imagine all the stops being annoying. But then I met another girl who I married, so it probably wasn't worth it anyhow.

• Love
Reactions: JenniferQ and Lex
I guess what I was trying to say is the Supercharger experience for me has been one of the most exciting parts of having a Model S.

Of odd note in my EV observances is that there seems to be no worry about fast charging by the possible heavyweight competitors to Tesla. I am predicting that (especially German) builders will compel government to install and support the DC fast chargers so that one day perhaps the Supercharger network might end up being obsolete, or at least redundant... burned-up like the higher orbit SpaceX landing attempt today as a part of our "ticket to the future".

But all of that is with a single guy who doesn't typically have 200 mile runs in one day, and I thankfully now have Superchargers in almost each possible direction for those possibilities. I bought a 70D knowing the SC network was being improved, and I've seen 2 critical additions in my first year of ownership. And there are two more promised for me this summer.

On our last trip we took our golden retriever along and we had a nice walk along with each supercharging session. As someone noted above some of the locations are not particularly pedestrian friendly. Using the restroom of the neighboring local business sometimes feels a little awkward when we are not customers of the business, but no one has ever said anything.

Please elaborate.

:grabs popcorn:

Now first of all, let me say that I love my kids, and I'm very happy to have them.

That said, a long trip with them sometimes goes like this:

Scene 1:

Kid 1: When are we going to get there?
Kid 2: *whimper, whine, grunt*
Kid 1: Why does [Kid 2] get the green seat. I wanted it.
Kid 2: *grunt, whimper, fuss*
Adult: What is the matter [Kid 2] ? I can't help you unless I know what is wrong.
Kid 2: *fuss, whimper, whine*
Kid 1: I have to go to the bathroom.
Adult: Why didn't you go before we left?
Kid 1: I didn't have to go then.
Adult: It was 5 minutes ago!
Kid 2: *cry, yell, throws toy*
Adult: [Kid 2]! Don't throw your toys. Tell me what is wrong!
Kid 2: *cry, whimper, fuss*
Kid 1: *starts squirming*
Adult: Oh, is it because the sun is in your eyes? *gives kid 2 sunglasses*
Kid 2: *calms down*
Kid 2: [Kid 1] has my toy.
Kid 1: No I don't.
Kid 2: Yes you do! I want it!
Kid 1: It's not yours, it's mine.
Kid 2: No it's not.
Kid 1: Yes it is.
Kid 2: NO IT'S NOT.
Kid 1: YES IT IS.
Kid 2: NO IT'S NOT.
Kid 1: YES IT IS.
Kid 2: *hits [Kid 1]*
Adult: Both of you stop it right now!
Kid 1: *starts crying*
Kid 2: I really need to go to the bathroom.
Adult: We are headed to the gas station right now so you can go to the bathroom.
Kid 2: *squirms* I really need to go!
Adult: We are headed there now. I can't get there any faster.
Kid 1: Where are we going?
Adult: To the gas station to use the bathroom.
Kid 1: Why?
Adult: Because [Kid 2] needs to go potty.
Kid 2: *starts whimpering and dancing in the seat*
Stop Signal: Turns red.
Kid 1: I tooted.
Kid 2: Why are we just sitting here!?
Adult: The light is red. We have to wait for it to turn green.
Kid 2: It's not fair. The lights are always red.
Adult: No they are not. We are almost there. Try to hold it.
Kid 2: [Kid 1] you are not even making sense!
Adult: Okay, we are here. Come on, lets go to the bathroom.
*Everyone goes pee in the bathroom*
Adult: Okay, everyone back in the car. Lets go!
Kid 1: I have to go to the bathroom.
Adult: We just went?
Kid 1: Now I have to go poo.

Tune in next week for Scene 2 of this 20 Scene series.

I don't have kids, but if I did have kids I would definitely try to have at least one or two supercharger adventures with a Tesla. Even if I didn't own a Tesla.

Because when the kid grows up he/she can talk about that adventure with a Tesla where they stopped every 150+ miles to charge up. The response will probably be something like "Wow, you had to wait for a charge???".

Reactions: JenniferQ
Reminds me of the podcast I heard this week about the guy who wrote the "You have to F$%^&ng go to sleep" books. So, so funny. On the Moth. The Moth | Stories | Go the F*ck to Sleep
Now first of all, let me say that I love my kids, and I'm very happy to have them.

<snip>

Tune in next week for Scene 2 of this 20 Scene series.

If you have the time, drive the Tesla. I have enjoyed separate trips from LA to ID, UT and OK and many shorter long drives.

OTOH, I did a roundtrip with a 2009 Escalade; 5854 miles over the last two weeks between CA and PA. Loved the 500 mile range and averaged 344 miles between fills at 1/4 tank remaining. For extremely long drives where time is of the essence, the ICE car was a blessing, especially after installing the top rated Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. With premium gas, fuel cost was about $862. The 17 fuel stops averaged just under $51 each. My estimates are that about 50 charge stops would be necessary for similar travel in Model X.

Subway and other fast dining options lowered meal cost. My previous luxury dining during Supercharging trips did add up!

And this is why I try to drive at night with the kids... They're used to long trips (4-8 hours in the car at a time), and we try to time them for either night driving so the kids are out, or around a nap, so that of the 4-8 hours, they're out for 2.

Though my daughter is getting to the age of not napping anymore... :/

And this is why I try to drive at night with the kids... They're used to long trips (4-8 hours in the car at a time), and we try to time them for either night driving so the kids are out, or around a nap, so that of the 4-8 hours, they're out for 2.

Though my daughter is getting to the age of not napping anymore... :/

I do a lot of long distance trips (160.000 km in 2 years), mostly in Germany, some in the rest of Europe. Thanks to the Supercharger situation here it is no problem at all.

When I am in a hurry, I stop at every charger after the initial 250 - 350 km. So I plan to arrive at the SuC almost empty and charge just enough to reach the next one. Unless I am having a meal or something, then I let it charge more.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
If 20 miles from next SC and I have, say 40 miles of range is it worth speeding up to arrive "more empty" and thus charge faster and, overall, save more time? Speeding-tickets aside, of course ...

That doesn't really make sense, if you think about it:

If you show up at the SC with more miles in the battery, then you have to charge fewer total miles at the charger. And not needing to charge a mile is quicker than being able to charge it quickly.

The faster driving can't make up for this logic, unless you can drive at a faster rate than the charger charges. At an SC, this is unlikely, even pretty far into the taper.

If you show up at the SC with more miles in the battery, then you have to charge fewer total miles at the charger. And not needing to charge a mile is quicker than being able to charge it quickly.
Except you will always charge faster than you drive. I can charge 150 miles in an hour (for arguments sake), but I can't drive 150mph. So you always want to drive as fast as legally possible to get to the next SpC.

• Helpful
Nope, the car is not nearly as efficient at super high speeds. I analyzed this in great detail back in 2014

Driving & Charging Time
Someone else did the same study with 3 differently spaced superchargers, and from what I remember the closer they were the faster you can go and still come out ahead. On the longest stretch they came up with the same conclusion as you, about 75mph ideal speed.

Considering we were talking about 20 miles with 40RM originally, I stand by my comment; though I shouldn't have used a broad stroke to imply inclusion of all casee

Last edited:
  • Informative
Sorry for the quick diversion, but this reminds of something. I used to cycle with friends. I was a soaking wet 140 pounds at the time, and they were 180+. I rode a steel framed bike, and they rode carbon fiber. They'd get on me all the time about upgrading my bike to a lighter frame. I'd always gently point out that they could lose a few pounds, tow an extra bike, and still be ahead. But anyway.. back to the scheduled program..

OH, Ain't it the Troof!!