Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being told I "have to" take premium seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered with next gen seats but got this email today from DS:

"I reached out to my order operations team and they confirmed with me that your Tesla will be built with the new Premium Seats. There will be no additional charge for these seats. I was also informed that if you'd prefer the standard black seats or textile seats, they'll need to know as soon as possible to make the change. Please let me know how you want to proceed with the seat"s.

I really am a bit partial to the Next Gen and that's what I want to insist on. It seems people who ordered when I did are getting them. Thoughts ?

Darn ! Are premium better than next gen ? I need to go for spirited ride in premium honestly ,,I just know I liked the next gen and didn't like them changing on me. It seem like Tesla took the Recaro mold and made the side bolsters a little smaller but in terms of the cushioning, hard to say.

Darn ! Are premium better than next gen ? I need to go for spirited ride in premium honestly ,,I just know I liked the next gen and didn't like them changing on me. It seem like Tesla took the Recaro mold and made the side bolsters a little smaller but in terms of the cushioning, hard to say.

Seats are subjective enough you probably need to try them for yourself.

Having said that, most folks seem to agree that the X seats are significantly better than the S seats - and unless I'm very confused, the new Premium seats you're apparently getting are Tesla's attempt to bring the X seats back to the S.

I'm pretty sure next gen and premium are basically the same, except premium has holes in it where you can store extra cheeto dust and orange juice.

You only get the holes if you want ventilated. Too much Cheeto dust gets in there so opted to stay with Stone Age methods of heating and cooling the cabin and my body-like through the steering wheel. In any case, can I INSIST on Next Gen or should I settle for premium and a couple of jackets for my trouble ?

Last edited:
I have the next gen seats, and last week was able to try the premium seats in a P100D for a full day while my car was in service.

During my spirited drive up in the hills, I felt that the premium seats had much less lateral support than my next gen seats. It seems like a downgrade, despite the premium seats being perforated and ventilated.

Recaro has been in the business for decades so they know how to make a damn good seat! I'd push for the next gen if at all possible.

I'd say it depends on why they say you have to have them. Right now they are trying to book and deliver for Q1, after a near miss for Q4 which will be easily eclipsed with the many orders placed late December. If they have a shortage of Next Gen, then they shpuld make good on your order when they can fulfill it. If Next Gen are going to be discontinued, well that's another thing entirely.

As others have said. Get them to lend you a car with Premium for a day or more, and see if you like them - not a 30 minute test drive - you want to drive to some level of sitting fatigue to know if they work for you.

Tesla chose the JIT, custom-order model - works for them, should work for the customer too!