Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Dashcam for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question1:

RED-red, BLACK-black for always on?
RED-orange, BLACK-black for camera only on when car running

Is the red wire on the car connector the one to connect for always on?

Question2:

I assume that the TF card gets automatically overwritten starting with the
oldest files once it reaches full capacity, is this correct?

Help much appreciated.

Rear view mirror wiring diagram

Last edited:
After removing shroud, the end wires are the ones to connect for switched operation, red wire to yellow-on-car and black-black. First you will need to push the retaining tab on the passenger side of the mirror harness to be able to pull it out. After pulling it out, if you are in the passenger seat, make sure to turn the connector around, the driver side has very easy access to the harness, also tie the wires to the harness. Pay attention to the angle you hold at when you push, after front tabs snap in the edges will not be fllush until you apply pressure on back to push in the tabs facing the mirror stalk.

FAT32 formatted a Samsung Evo Select 128GB using "Minitool Partition 11".
I used a permanent marker over the outside edge to make it inconspicuous.

The 12345678 WiFi password did not work.

"Taxusdvr" replied within five minutes to Ebay message, says:

New app:
=======
Youmera
=======

New WiFi
Password:
==========
==========

Dashcam works now!
20200118_080740.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea when Blackvue may have a never Dashcam that would better address some of the heating and failure issues?

I'm waiting for them to come out with a more stable 4K/60 model so I can install it as an additional layer of coverage in addition to TeslaCam. Given the very narrow field of the TeslaCam forward camera, a super wide Blackvue view would be great.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Anyone have any idea when Blackvue may have a never Dashcam that would better address some of the heating and failure issues?

I'm waiting for them to come out with a more stable 4K/60 model so I can install it as an additional layer of coverage in addition to TeslaCam. Given the very narrow field of the TeslaCam forward camera, a super wide Blackvue view would be great.

This is the only OE-like integrated looking solution that replaces a cover on the mirror base, even the fixed angle has been calculated for a perfect view. Blackvue with stick out no matter where you put it.

Still no 4K/60 dashcams from Blackvue or Thinkware. I guess fall is the next timeframe for the release of the next generation of dash cams?

I'm assuming it's not that easy to get reliable and continuous 4K/60fps recording in a small package without issues.

I'm also still searching and waiting. Not happy about not having a dashcam in my S for over 2 months now...

Reactions: PhilDavid
After removing shroud, the end wires are the ones to connect for switched operation, red wire to yellow-on-car and black-black. First you will need to push the retaining tab on the passenger side of the mirror harness to be able to pull it out. After pulling it out, if you are in the passenger seat, make sure to turn the connector around, the driver side has very easy access to the harness, also tie the wires to the harness. Pay attention to the angle you hold at when you push, after front tabs snap in the edges will not be fllush until you apply pressure on back to push in the tabs facing the mirror stalk.

FAT32 formatted a Samsung Evo Select 128GB using "Minitool Partition 11".
I used a permanent marker over the outside edge to make it inconspicuous.

The 12345678 WiFi password did not work.

"Taxusdvr" replied within five minutes to Ebay message, says:

New app:
=======
Youmera
=======

New WiFi
Password:
==========
==========

Dashcam works now!
View attachment 501703

@Kandiru did you find out which wire was for the "always-on" 12V power?

I'm assuming it's not that easy to get reliable and continuous 4K/60fps recording in a small package without issues.

I'm also still searching and waiting. Not happy about not having a dashcam in my S for over 2 months now...
I can only imagine how much memory that will need.
I did some googling and I think 4k @ 60 with h265 is about 350 megabytes per 60 seconds.

128gb card would get you 6 hours at that rate. That is only for the front cam! Rear would probably be a 1080 camera.

Also processing power might be quite a bit, hence we haven't seen it available yet

Reactions: drklain
I can only imagine how much memory that will need.
I did some googling and I think 4k @ 60 with h265 is about 350 megabytes per 60 seconds.

128gb card would get you 6 hours at that rate. That is only for the front cam! Rear would probably be a 1080 camera.

Also processing power might be quite a bit, hence we haven't seen it available yet

I'm totally find with having two separate front and rear cameras and I'm generally happy with the wide angle view of the rear Tesla camera. It's the front camera that I wish was wider and higher resolution. I'm also fine with having "only" a 6 hour video buffer.

An Samsung "Endurance" grade SD Card should be able to perform reliably for quite a while.

The benefit of 4K/60 is you will have the maximum chance of grabbing a fleeting license plate while offering a much wider field of view.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
It’s not clear to me if the basic installation of the IRO is always recording or only when the car is on? Can someone elaborate?

IRO has a connector that plugs directly into the switched power in the mirror base. It is powered when Sentry Mode is active. I connected mine for a while to constant 12v located in the microphone grill area just a few inches back from the mirror base. I changed it back to the mirror connection when Sentry Mode was introduced.

Hi
Can you please let me know what is the best dashcam for Model S?
Also do I need professional installation or DIY?

I like IRO in the front for its integrated look and ease of installation and Mobius 2 for the rear because it’s small and hidden from sight in the rear view mirror because of where it’s mounted at the top of the rear hatch window. I had these prior to TeslaCam being introduced, but decided to keep them as backup.

It appears the IRO is not made for Tesla model as AP2.5 and appears to be only sold by eBay at this point. Is this correct? Any further information on this company's product?

There was/is a company called City Racer in California that sold and supported them so I would start there.

I think AP2/2.5/3 is identical in terms of mounting but not 100% sure.

Reactions: Bmac