Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bets on When 6.0 Update will be Released...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's been confirmed that BT is required to use the feature... no one has said precisely how it works yet.

True.

But if it's something else, then it's going to involve technology that none of us have seen (a new RESTful API perhaps?). Anyway, regardless of how it's executed, this particular feature needs to work 100% of the time, so I'm not surprised if we continue to wait.

True. When do you remove enough features that it becomes a 5.15? :)

Haha, of course there could also be additional features that weren't even included in that version of the beta v6.0; but we've through that in the other thread.

Most owners still seem to be on v5.9 as .11 had bugs, .12 had fixes but more new bugs and we now seem to have .14 to fix those bugs. I'm definitely no SW expert of any kind but it occurs to me that Tesla probably wants/needs a stable base to build v6.0 upon, never mind the additional complexity of new app features and security.

Based on the "Tesla Timeline", version 6.0 should be released by the year 2046 along with the 500 mile range battery pack. The (severely delayed) Model 3 will be celebrating its 24th year in production, and the Gigafactory will have finally opened its doors only 3 years prior to the 6.0 release.

Anyway, regardless of how it's executed, this particular feature needs to work 100% of the time, so I'm not surprised if we continue to wait.
No, it doesn't.

If 100% uptime is your criteria for features then you'd be waiting a long time for a car to be delivered at all:
  • accelerator doesn't work when airborne
  • brakes don't work when airborne
  • AM/FM radio doesn't work in some regions and in bad weather
  • internet (slacker, maps, browser, etc.) doesn't work in areas that don't have 3G coverage
  • key fob doesn't work reliably when close to strong signal towers
  • etc.

I don't believe the phone-starting-car feature has to be flawless. The leaked release notes said that using the phone app to start the car is there "in case you forget your keyfob" and not as a replacement for your keyfob. That note alone suggests that the the process of doing so won't be as convenient as the keyfob. I'm guessing, there will be extra security or other verification mechanisms that you will have to jump through to start the car. And it will be intended as an occasional-use case for when you actually forget your keyfob.

No, it doesn't.

If 100% uptime is your criteria for features then you'd be waiting a long time for a car to be delivered at all:
  • accelerator doesn't work when airborne
  • brakes don't work when airborne

We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO, an alternative accelerator or brake needs to work 100% of the time.

Similarly, I believe an alternative key needs to work 100% of the time.

The others I agree with you.

Based on the "Tesla Timeline", version 6.0 should be released by the year 2046 along with the 500 mile range battery pack. The (severely delayed) Model 3 will be celebrating its 24th year in production, and the Gigafactory will have finally opened its doors only 3 years prior to the 6.0 release.

you forgot the model X that will have been in Beta for 34 years...

Last edited by a moderator: