Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bets on When 6.0 Update will be Released...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be surprised to see that my very long list is done over 2-4 major software updates not one. I still think Tesla has to get the phone integration squared away before Model X. On the other hand, Tesla does seem to think big, so maybe they will shock us all. :smile:

My guess is that the only phone integration we'll see in the near future will be some basic stuff like contacts (already there), calendar and notes. I doubt there'll be any integration of other apps in the next 12 months...in fact I'll take bets on it. :)

I wouldn't bet against someone with 9,000+ posts. I agree that phone-to-Tesla apps are unlikely. I'm focusing on full phone functions like dialing a specific number by voice, picking from multiple numbers without using the screen, possibly a pass-through for Siri without touching the phone, text message reading and voice replies, music controls, etc.

This strange system with two databases - Google Maps for the centre console and another (Navigon?) for the dashboard and route calculation - seems way too complex. Google Maps is perfectly capable of calculating good turn-by-turn directions and its database seems to be the most up-to-date, so why not use it for everything?

Because it doesn't work offline, and in many places you can't rely on a high bandwidth (or any) connection.

A view of the charging slots when you getting close to a SC, with the recomendation on what stall that gives most power and you should use.
This way you do not need to see where A and B is located, is the car on 1A at low or high SOC.......
The result would be better use of the SC and more cars charged at less time.

A view of the charging slots when you getting close to a SC, with the recomendation on what stall that gives most power and you should use.
This way you do not need to see where A and B is located, is the car on 1A at low or high SOC.......
The result would be better use of the SC and more cars charged at less time.

This is a great idea. As more people get Teslas, the number of people who do not understand how the charger pairing works is going to increase.

I've already helped more than one person who pulled up after me at a supercharger and plugged into a charger that was paired with one already in use, when there was a full power stall open.

An alternative would be to an LED to each pedestal to indicate if it's full power.

This is a great idea. As more people get Teslas, the number of people who do not understand how the charger pairing works is going to increase.

I've already helped more than one person who pulled up after me at a supercharger and plugged into a charger that was paired with one already in use, when there was a full power stall open.

An alternative would be to an LED to each pedestal to indicate if it's full power.

Why would Tesla want to advertise the fact that not all stores are providing "full" power?
This is one of those great ideas that will go on the "never going to happen" list I"m afraid.
It's just opening a can of worms.

I wouldn't bet against someone with 9,000+ posts. I agree that phone-to-Tesla apps are unlikely. I'm focusing on full phone functions like dialing a specific number by voice, picking from multiple numbers without using the screen, possibly a pass-through for Siri without touching the phone, text message reading and voice replies, music controls, etc.

I have bet against them and owe each one at least one beer/glass of wine. In fact in Bonnie's case it may be multiple ones but I still think she gets her X before end of Q1 2015. When I win that one I may be down to owing only a six pack:wink:

Personally, I would not bet on two things: 1. That 6.0 will have everything everyone wants: Think Quality, not Quantity and there will be lots more firmware upgrades 7.0...8.0...etc.
2. That it will be released soon (I have no way to know what 'soon' is, but I am thinking week(s) not day(s)

I wouldn't be surprised to see that my very long list is done over 2-4 major software updates not one. I still think Tesla has to get the phone integration squared away before Model X. On the other hand, Tesla does seem to think big, so maybe they will shock us all. :smile:

I wouldn't count on being shocked.

We (meaning 'this forum') have a tendency to build off each other's enthusiasm until we're sure that [the X will be shipped next week | stock price will double in the next day | we will have all the sw features in this release | there will be a unicorn in my backyard tomorrow morning]. Honestly, half the time I feel my role as a moderator is to try to keep the expectations in check. Heeyah! You guys are a tough crowd! I feel for Tesla. They do some cool stuff, but when they announce it, people around here are actually disappointed because they worked their expectations up to soooo much more.

Reset. Listen to Nigel. If more comes, awesome. If we get what we're expecting, YAY. If we get anything, wow, a car that gets better as it ages. More to come.

:)

Google Maps need internet access - Navigon is built-in but can be out of date. If you start your journey were there is no internet/cell coverage Google Maps won't work. In fact if your journey goes though places without cell coverage Google Maps just gives up until you get coverage again.

I have bet against them and owe each one at least one beer/glass of wine. In fact in Bonnie's case it may be multiple ones but I still think she gets her X before end of Q1 2015. When I win that one I may be down to owing only a six pack.

I'll take that bet. Bonnie won't get her car before 3/31/15; unfortunately that means neither will I. :frown:

2. That it will be released soon (I have no way to know what 'soon' is, but I am thinking week(s) not day(s)

Agree its weeks, not days. We've heard enough to know that v6.0 is not huge but it is complicated; also as noted elsewhere there are some updates to the app and that would certainly require some serious beta testing.

Last edited:
Question for those who have prior experience with Traffic-Enabled Navigation:

How well does it work, if at all, to distinguish route with high traffic load in all lanes vs. high traffic load generally but with clear car pool (HOV) lane? I imagine this is technically difficult to do with today's data, but curious if the new traffic-enabled navigation will help (or make matters worse). In the SF Bay Area and LA areas, many highways and expressways can experience stand-still traffic jams in the normal lanes while the car pool lane is at near full speed. The ideal traffic-enabled navigation would be able to make this distinction and choose routes that included flowing car pool lanes even when the rest are stop & go. However, if it cannot distinguish, then I imagine being routed via surface streets to avoid traffic jams, never really knowing if there really was a much faster option.

Reason for asking is that virtually every time I use navigation today, some portion of my route is by freeway. Thus, it would be awesome if the new feature actually could discern what is going on in the car pool lanes.

Thoughts or advice?

Question for those who have prior experience with Traffic-Enabled Navigation:

How well does it work, if at all, to distinguish route with high traffic load in all lanes vs. high traffic load generally but with clear car pool (HOV) lane? I imagine this is technically difficult to do with today's data, but curious if the new traffic-enabled navigation will help (or make matters worse). In the SF Bay Area and LA areas, many highways and expressways can experience stand-still traffic jams in the normal lanes while the car pool lane is at near full speed. The ideal traffic-enabled navigation would be able to make this distinction and choose routes that included flowing car pool lanes even when the rest are stop & go. However, if it cannot distinguish, then I imagine being routed via surface streets to avoid traffic jams, never really knowing if there really was a much faster option.

Reason for asking is that virtually every time I use navigation today, some portion of my route is by freeway. Thus, it would be awesome if the new feature actually could discern what is going on in the car pool lanes.

Thoughts or advice?

Great idea, but I have not yet seen it implemented. Even if GPS is not precise enough to detect which lane you're in, it should be possible using Waze data to discover that the traffic speed distribution is bimodal, and therefore infer the difference between normal and HOV lanes. Unless, of course, it's bimodal because there's an accident in the left lane...

I wouldn't count on being shocked.

We (meaning 'this forum') have a tendency to build off each other's enthusiasm until we're sure that [the X will be shipped next week | stock price will double in the next day | we will have all the sw features in this release | there will be a unicorn in my backyard tomorrow morning]. Honestly, half the time I feel my role as a moderator is to try to keep the expectations in check. Heeyah! You guys are a tough crowd! I feel for Tesla. They do some cool stuff, but when they announce it, people around here are actually disappointed because they worked their expectations up to soooo much more.

Reset. Listen to Nigel. If more comes, awesome. If we get what we're expecting, YAY. If we get anything, wow, a car that gets better as it ages. More to come.

:)
I certainly think there's some of that, but I think it's also disappointment that even some stuff Elon himself said would make it into 6 are missing from the release notes (valet mode, altitude/wind-based navigation), and that some of the stuff that DID make it seems like it would be pretty far down most people's priority lists (car naming, calendar). I would have hoped they'd give some sorely-needed attention to the media app before some of that.

Certainly it's a bit premature to speculate based on beta-version release notes, but I can understand why even some who maintained reasonable expectations would be disappointed.

Just noting that as Tesla is apparently fixing some Firmware v5.12 bugs with a Firmware v5.14 release it's probably fair to assume we're at least a couple of weeks away from any signs of v6.0 general roll-out.

Yeah, at least.

Now that we know that smartphone starting is on the list, the BT firmware will need to work flawlessly -- and I don't any version of 5.xx meets that criterion.