Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blind spot and dash cam feature teased by Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hurry up with the dash cam! I need to see if I still need to install my Blackvue.

Elon's version of

41j2cgEKFbL.jpg

I wonder how reliable that blind spot detection feature going to be considering that the range of the sensors is 20 feet (if I recollect) and the Radar is only forward. Sounds like it will make heavy use of the cameras.. which likely result in false positives and false negatives :(

additional radars would have been nice

Reactions: Catman20009
I was just talking with someone about this the other day. My freaking Mazda came with BSM, adaptive cruise, lane departure warning, lane-keep assist, emergency braking, city braking...and perhaps a couple others I'm forgetting. Don't get me wrong -- I'm super excited about being on the list for a M3 and am buying it for reasons other than all these features, but this one thing has always baffled me.

This. My wife’s CRV we got in January has BSM with the light in the side mirrors and chime when someone is in the blind and you turn the blinker on. Also has rear cross traffic alert which is great. Also has ACC and lane keep assist. How much better is auto pilot on the Tesla than lane keep assist on a Honda?!

I wonder how reliable that blind spot detection feature going to be considering that the range of the sensors is 20 feet (if I recollect) and the Radar is only forward. Sounds like it will make heavy use of the cameras.. which likely result in false positives and false negatives :(

additional radars would have been nice

Blind Spot Warning on the S and X aren't great - it's more about the time it takes a car to register than the actual range.

However, I'm sure Tesla's long term plan is to do image recognition or motion analysis on the fender camera images to clear the blind spots. If the Neural Networks are solid, that should provide a very good solution.

Of course, then they'd have to figure out a better way of telling you about it, too, but I'm sure that will come.

My Acura has a great system...I don’t think Tesla needs a light on the mirrors but I am curious how it will be implemted

Maybe Tesla does need a lamp in the mirror since that is pretty much the industry standard.

Unfortunately Elon's "full self driving by 2018" original prediction from the 2015/16 time-frame when this car was designed is meeting with the reality of humans piloting these vehicles much of the time and us feeble humans do much better with visual stimuli than auditory.

Reactions: preilly44
If Dash Cam feature is coming, does that mean the 3's have some kind of digital storage (like an SD Card) that is waiting idle?

The whole center screen setup is a big tablet computer running a customized Linux kernel, so of course the car has digital storage to support that. I'm not sure if Tesla is planning to use some of that storage to record for the dashcam, or require a thumb drive as suggested above, or some combination.

In theory, they could even stream it to the mothership over LTE, but I doubt that'll happen for anything except detected events because of the data costs.

On the smorgasbord of auto features, the 5 yo Toyota Avalon hybrid I sold to buy my X had real, effective BSM. Lights in the side mirrors. Cross traffic alert when in reverse. AEB. And it would read me incoming texts, and give me a menu of standard replies. Too bad it would only go ~2 miles in EV mode. And it only got 40 mpg.

Love my Tesla. But there are some features I believe could be enabled that are more useful and likely and needed than an imaginary FSD.
This is why I cheer on other manufactures getting into the EV game. No more weird mobiles and no more skimping on interiors please!

However, I'm sure Tesla's long term plan is to do image recognition or motion analysis on the fender camera images to clear the blind spots. If the Neural Networks are solid, that should provide a very good solution.

Of course, then they'd have to figure out a better way of telling you about it, too, but I'm sure that will come.

After all cars are Teslas, they'll talk to each other to tell what they are doing, and make sure they don't hit each other.