Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BMW i3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not ? The REX generates as much power as needed, it does not run on a constant speed. It is designed to give sufficient power without "using" the battery. Of course it will burn more fuel uphill.

But the REX output is only 25kW which will result in extremely limited hill climbing performance once the battery reaches its minimum SOC. It will also be interesting to learn what that 650 cc motorcycle engine sounds like when running at sustained full output during mountain climbs.

<snip> It felt about 80 to 85% as powerful as it does in full electric mode and is easily capable of accelerating and passing even at these highway speeds.<snip>

There is a huge difference between flat land brief passing bursts and sustained mountain climbing.

Anyone care to limit their Model S to 25 kW when climbing a real mountain and report the speed they are able to maintain?

There are reports out that the engine can do 28 kWh. And the Model S is a much heavier car, so maybe it would be comparable to 45 kWh in a Model S. Still pretty crappy. Someone will have to try it out on a mountain overpass and let everyone know...

There are reports out that the engine can do 28 kWh. And the Model S is a much heavier car, so maybe it would be comparable to 45 kWh in a Model S. Still pretty crappy. Someone will have to try it out on a mountain overpass and let everyone know...

If the engine output is 28 kW the generator output would still only be around 25 kW but not a huge difference. Yes, the Model S is heavier so a better test would be a Leaf if there is any way to monitor motor input power.

I am betting on extremely meager performance on sustained climbs, think early 50's VW Beetle towing a 1200 lb trailer!
:rolleyes: :biggrin:

I tried 25kwh once(when I first heard about the rex limit), and it was obvious to me that wouldn't work. You will be crawling up the grade like a loaded big rig. The Model S is a bit heavier, but I'll bet it doesn't make much difference.

Are there any good leases available for the i3? We are also considering a bridge vehicle till the Gen III comes out as a 2nd vehicle to our Model S. It is either the Nissan Leaf (whee you can get lease deals for around $200 / mo) or possibly the i3.

I suggest you also consider the Mercedes B Class EV. It will likely have significantly more range, has a Tesla drivetrain, 4 real doors, more storage space, better rear quarter visibility, and doesn't look so odd on the outside. Same price. Going on sale in some US states in July according to Mercedes.

I suggest you also consider the Mercedes B Class EV. It will likely have significantly more range, has a Tesla drivetrain, 4 real doors, more storage space, better rear quarter visibility, and doesn't look so odd on the outside. Same price. Going on sale in some US states in July according to Mercedes.

No range extender, and no DC fast charge last I saw (some articles said something about CCS being "a future option." The B-Class is definitely range limited - though it sounds like a nice car if your usage profile fits.
Walter

The Volt gets a green sticker which are limited in number and already ran out. The REx can get the same green sticker, but since it ran out, there needs to be legislation to add more green stickers first.

The white stickers that pure EVs get are unlimited in number.

My apologies, I misread white for green in the original post. Of course you're correct.

Since the battery in all other EVs is so small compare to the Model S I don't see a great need for DC charging capability since they won't be used for long trips anyway. Mercedes claims the battery can be charged from a very low level to full on 3.5 hours at 240V, and a charging rate of 30 miles in an hour using a Tesla built onboard 40A charger.

I am unclear on whether the B Class will have CCS charging capability as standard or optional. In any case there are few CCS chargers in the US at this time.

I am unclear on whether the B Class will have CCS charging capability as standard or optional. In any case there are few CCS chargers in the US at this time.
The B-Class won't have CCS charging. Mercedes hinted at maybe adding it in a future version, but not for the current B-Class. As for the i3, I believe the launch versions have CCS included as standard, however, it'll be an option for the normal versions.

Just saw my first one 'in the wild' on Arastradero today (previously had only seen it at auto shows). When I first saw pictures of it, I thought it looked awkward. Then, seeing it at auto shows, it started to grow on me a bit. However, actually seeing it on the road just now, it's back to looking awkward. It looked much more like a Smart car on the road than I was expecting.

My wife saw a clever advert on TV for the i3... her reaction was pretty much the same as mine the first time I saw it (ugly, and sad, since they started with a clean piece of paper to design it).

Then she asked how far it goes. I thought she was going to split a gut when I told her about 80 miles. I pulled out the iPad and showed her a pic of the Mercedes B-Class ED. She wasn't overwhelmed either way on that one. Range is still going to be less than a Rav4 EV (we currently have two of those).

I doubt Mercedes will come close to the deal that Toyota is offering to blow out their compliance car (currently $16,500 off the $51k sticker price, plus $2500 California rebate).

Last edited:
The B-Class won't have CCS charging. Mercedes hinted at maybe adding it in a future version, but not for the current B-Class. As for the i3, I believe the launch versions have CCS included as standard, however, it'll be an option for the normal versions.

Here in the EU the launch version had pro navi instead of business navi. CCS is an option (actually combined AC/DC fast charging).

Most people don't like the looks of the I3 at first, it seems it takes some time to get used to. My wife didn't like it either at first but after she saw it live and drove it she loves it. My 18y old daughter her first reaction was she never saw such a cool car before.
I ended up secretly ordering one for my wifes birthday.