Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brackets to install Aftermarket Speakers in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For measurements that I took, for the 8" woofer project, here's my photos:
depth_at_max_clearance.jpg depth_at_minimum_clearance.jpg doorframe.jpg max_clearance.jpg minimum_clearance.jpg playdoh_impression.jpg playdoh_minimum_clearance_with_stock_inserted.jpg

So you can see what I have done. My measurements here all centered on clearance beneath the speaker down to the frame bar. As silly as it sounds, I used play-doh to figure out the one thing that cannot be seen from a human perspective: how much clearance is behind the stock speaker when it is actually inserted completely. Basically, how much "spare room" do I have? at the lowest point, the stock speaker appears to have exactly 1cm of spare room. 1cm doesn't sound like much, but since the stock speaker and focals are actually only millimeteres apart in depth, it does lead me to believe that it is very likely the focals can *just* fit. The trouble is, we are talking a margin of error of millimeteres, and with my human margin of error using a measuring tape and playdoh, I might also be a couple millimeters off.

Still, I think it will fit with a millimeter or two to spare, from what measurements I have. What I did NOT do, which I wish I had, is checked the focal against the door sleeve to measure that and where the sleeve contacts the focals. Has anyone done exactly that? I don't want to rip my door open again yet lol, but I need that information ideally.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovyd and dfwatt
How much different does it sound?

Quite a bit. It's now a much more articulate and balanced sound. Initially when I replaced the three 4 inch drivers in the dash and the two in the rear doors the car sounded a bit too bright but after some break in, it sounds nicely balanced, and as good as any car that I had previously customized with separates. People who come into the car immediately remark on the Excellence of the sound system. I've also gotten a little bit more bass I think from having a lithium ferric phosphate battery that has a significantly higher current capacity than the lead acid stock battery, which probably helps the stock amplifier to not run out of current as easily. Have to say the difference is only audible if you've got some kind of really significant and pretty loud bass drive into the subwoofer and the front door woofers. But if I do an A / B comparison with my wife's car on identical material the system will play a little bit louder and with a little bit more bass attack.

Reactions: groovyd
OK, knowing that it has been done is inspiring, so I will work on that this week and hopefully be able to get pretty far by the weekend. Ultimately, I will get them printed off in PETG, at a price point that is similar to normal mass-produced brackets (eg $20-$30) for a set. I apologize for my delay on the work for the woofers. I don't have 3 kids like @flashflooder, but still lots that has been taking my time recently!

By the way, I am working today on the plugs for the front speakers (infinity). Now that the brackets are done, I just have to finish that quickly. For those of you who normally do these installs, what wiring is best for this purpose? I imagine standard speaker wire? I am planning to solder one side to the male feather headers that flashflooder posted about months ago, and then crimp the other side to female blade fittings, to plug right into the infinity speakers.

OK, knowing that it has been done is inspiring, so I will work on that this week and hopefully be able to get pretty far by the weekend. Ultimately, I will get them printed off in PETG, at a price point that is similar to normal mass-produced brackets (eg $20-$30) for a set. I apologize for my delay on the work for the woofers. I don't have 3 kids like @flashflooder, but still lots that has been taking my time recently!

By the way, I am working today on the plugs for the front speakers (infinity). Now that the brackets are done, I just have to finish that quickly. For those of you who normally do these installs, what wiring is best for this purpose? I imagine standard speaker wire? I am planning to solder one side to the male feather headers that flashflooder posted about months ago, and then crimp the other side to female blade fittings, to plug right into the infinity speakers.
yea regular speaker wire. I use small gauge stuff because the factory wire is pretty thin too.

OK, awesome. I have the plugs done, and I am waiting on shipment of blade connectors, speaker wire, etc.. I have a big question for anyone . Does anyone have an unused model 3 woofer for the front door? It doesn't even have to work. I ask because, while I have 2 of them that work fine, I want to keep them in the car so I can play music, and I hate ripping open the door panel repeatedly just to test sizing and dimensions. It would be a huge help if someone had one that I can pay to ship over to use as a template. Right now I am working off of photos and measurements I took of mine when I pulled it out. By the way, I know I can buy them on Ebay, but $100+ is steep for something I don't even need to keep.

For @flashflooder, First, I bought the exact male headers that you linked to a long time ago, and they fit, but it seems to me that they could use to be quite a bit longer. Did you choose those short ones for any reason? Also, I seem to recall you installed the focal tweeters. How did you mount those? I don't see an obvious way to do so.

Thanks all! More work coming this week on the brackets.

OK, awesome. I have the plugs done, and I am waiting on shipment of blade connectors, speaker wire, etc.. I have a big question for anyone . Does anyone have an unused model 3 woofer for the front door? It doesn't even have to work. I ask because, while I have 2 of them that work fine, I want to keep them in the car so I can play music, and I hate ripping open the door panel repeatedly just to test sizing and dimensions. It would be a huge help if someone had one that I can pay to ship over to use as a template. Right now I am working off of photos and measurements I took of mine when I pulled it out. By the way, I know I can buy them on Ebay, but $100+ is steep for something I don't even need to keep.

For @flashflooder, First, I bought the exact male headers that you linked to a long time ago, and they fit, but it seems to me that they could use to be quite a bit longer. Did you choose those short ones for any reason? Also, I seem to recall you installed the focal tweeters. How did you mount those? I don't see an obvious way to do so.

Thanks all! More work coming this week on the brackets.
I only used those because it's what I had on hand. No reason not to use longer ones; in fact, like you said, probably makes it easier.
For the Focal tweeters, I removed the outer housing of the tweeter and then just kind of wedged the speaker into the bracket inside the grill. It's a tight fit, and it only really goes in one way.. at a bit of an angle. I wrapped the outer edge of the tweeter in electrical tape so i wouldn't be rubbing against the plastic tabs in the tweeter housing.

I am still interested in getting the 4" brackets for the 3 dash speakers whenever you are confident with them and the wiring adapters. No stress on the in door speakers just yet as I would prefer to tackle the easier job of the 4"s and the focal tweeters first.

@groovyd @manttium @flashflooder @jpembedded @dfwatt @bradhs @Ckanderson and all other people who are interested: The 4" brackets and plugs are done and I have successfully installed them in my car with the Infinity 4" speakers. There is noticeable added clarity and fullness, but I only installed 2 so far and I am probably going to do the third.....just have to decide when I can afford to splurge a bit more.

I am happy to sell the brackets and full plug wire sets to anyone in the community for the same sort of pricing as mass produced brackets and plugs, even though it takes appreciably more time and work to make them with just me and my printer :p. So I will ask for as follows:

2 brackets (with necessary zipties) no plugs = $15 + Shipping
3 brackets no plugs (with necessary zipties) = $20 + Shipping.
2 plugs wireset = $20
3 plugs wireset = $25

The reason the plugs are expensive, despite quick printing, is that it takes me a good deal of time to build the wires themselves with soldering pins and crimping blades, as well as the extra materials I have to purchase to make them, such as wires, blade connectors, and pin headers.

HOWEVER, I have also been thinking a lot about the project and I love the TMC community and the open source spirit, so I want to release the STL files for everything too, so that if people want to print themselves or improve on the design, they can! :) If you want to support me, please consider buying them (or just donate whatever you feel good about to my paypal), but if you cannot or you just would prefer to print them and build yourself, please do that instead. The STLs are free to play with and print for anyone, but please don't sell them to anyone, as this would undercut my ability to do so (and recoup time spent building and testing them). Of course please feel free to print for friends or for whomever you feel inclined to.

I set up a quick website today Audioliphe (www.audioliphe.com) for the plugs and brackets where you can order them OR you can download the STLs there for free. I am thinking, when I have time, I might even expand the site to become a small forum for specifically open source car audio parts. If you have opinions on that or the site or anything else, please let me know! I love people who offer their work freely to the world and want to support that.
20190620_160241.jpg 20190620_160309.jpg 20190620_170525.jpg 20190620_170421.jpg 20190620_170532.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, to all of you interested in the woofer brackets, specifically @alexcimorelli @Nocturnal, and others....

I was able to find an incredible human being who did a full rebuild of the audio system on his own and posted his work on his blog (Tesla Model 3 Stereo - Part 9: Summary and Lessons Learned) and I contacted him for help with the woofer brackets, since he made some already!! But he did them for far more expensive speakers than I can afford right now, so I asked about the Focal 8" speakers. He said he would be willing to help and do so within the next week. So hopefully we have something for you very very soon. I will post the STLs for that as well and maybe print those for people too.....but those will be super big print jobs so they may take a few days to print and ship.

The audioliphe website, by the way was just a quick thing I threw together today so I apologize for some of the poor pictures and slightly unpolished navigation. I will fix that over time, but let me know if you have any questions or want brackets done for different speakers than the Infinity's. I was thinking of doing 4" brackets for the Faitals eventually, that @dfwatt mentioned to me before.

Also, as promised, here is the STL for the prototype woofer bracket for the ISU-200. I have NOT tested this yet, and, though it should fit the car and the speaker, I do not yet know about the door sleeve part. If you are inclined to print an test it, please let us know everything you can about it the fit and other important factors. That way we can try to get the community a working woofer bracket!

TMC required me to zip it first.

Attachments

• Tesla_Focal_ISU.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
Reactions: dfwatt
@groovyd @manttium @flashflooder @jpembedded @dfwatt @bradhs @Ckanderson and all other people who are interested: The 4" brackets and plugs are done and I have successfully installed them in my car with the Infinity 4" speakers. There is noticeable added clarity and fullness, but I only installed 2 so far and I am probably going to do the third.....just have to decide when I can afford to splurge a bit more.

I am happy to sell the brackets and full plug wire sets to anyone in the community for the same sort of pricing as mass produced brackets and plugs, even though it takes appreciably more time and work to make them with just me and my printer :p. So I will ask for as follows:

2 brackets (with necessary zipties) no plugs = $15 + Shipping
3 brackets no plugs (with necessary zipties) = $20 + Shipping.
2 plugs wireset = $20
3 plugs wireset = $25

The reason the plugs are expensive, despite quick printing, is that it takes me a good deal of time to build the wires themselves with soldering pins and crimping blades, as well as the extra materials I have to purchase to make them, such as wires, blade connectors, and pin headers.

HOWEVER, I have also been thinking a lot about the project and I love the TMC community and the open source spirit, so I want to release the STL files for everything too, so that if people want to print themselves or improve on the design, they can! :) If you want to support me, please consider buying them (or just donate whatever you feel good about to my paypal), but if you cannot or you just would prefer to print them and build yourself, please do that instead. The STLs are free to play with and print for anyone, but please don't sell them to anyone, as this would undercut my ability to do so (and recoup time spent building and testing them). Of course please feel free to print for friends or for whomever you feel inclined to.

I set up a quick website today Audioliphe (www.audioliphe.com) for the plugs and brackets where you can order them OR you can download the STLs there for free. I am thinking, when I have time, I might even expand the site to become a small forum for specifically open source car audio parts. If you have opinions on that or the site or anything else, please let me know! I love people who offer their work freely to the world and want to support that.
View attachment 421748 View attachment 421749 View attachment 421750 View attachment 421751 View attachment 421753

Order # 0000002 ;)

@davitsio thank you! Let me see if I can get one printed locally and attempt to adapt to the Morels.

EDIT: Ordered 1 from 3Dhubs in PLM to test fit and adapt. They were the cheapest out of 10 quotes at $62 shipped.

Thanks so much for checking that out! I spent some time today trying to plate the STL on my print bed, but it's just slightly too big so I am going to have to figure out a way to shave a bit off the 3D model first....probably won't have time to do it this week, though, but we shall see. Hopefully, once I do I can get a bit of testing with it, though and help you out with that in whatever way I can.

Order # 0000002 ;)

Love it!

To those who ordered already: First thanks so much! Second, I am going to take photos of the way to use the brackets correctly by Thursday. I apologize for the lack of helpful photos/video for them yet; just have been trying to get them available first. In an ideal world, I would probably have them set up for little screws to put the Infinitys on instead, but the zip-tie system actually works really well. Also, I designed them as thin as I reasonably could because my Model 3 has an oddly placed clip on the dash on the passenger side, and the brackets have to slide under that.

I have only installed them in my car so far, so please let me know if there are any unforeseen issues, and of course I will ship a modified version of the brackets or plugs free if something unexpected comes up. Just want them to work for everyone!

• Informative
Reactions: swazi1 and groovyd
Status
Not open for further replies.