Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken Brand New Tesla, and what will happen next (updating Dec 16th)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok. I have not tried recently, but in the past The location system doesn’t handle reverse properly. It considers it going forward. So if I back down a long driveway it will show the car moving forward and get offset from actual position. It eventually figures it out and snaps back.
I think you are laboring under the (mis)conception that the pointy end of the triangle in the nav map is the front of the car. No. It is the direction of travel.

I believe Canada has stronger consumer protection laws than the US, to include a "Lemon Law" of some sort. I don't live there so you'll have to check yourself.

I also recommend you give Tesla Service additional opportunities to fix this and then ask them to replace your car, prior to beginning the process.

The other 99.9% of Model S's don't have this problem so it should be fixable, no?

• Love
Reactions: pedriscoll
__________________________________________________________________________________
Update From Dec 18: Service manager called me, told me that the business solution team is working on some solution offers, and will update me in following weeks.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Update From Dec 30: Service manager called me, told me the process is approaching the end. There are 3 options but the number is not finalized yet as 11:50AM.
1. Keep the car, and wait for the fix, acknowledge that there is no guaranteed fixing time
2. Early return the car, the money I would loss is around 15000 CAD
3. Tesla buy back the car, however, I cannot buy Tesla for certain amount of time. Because the issue is so called universal issue (firmware issue), so they think if I buy other tesla cars, the problem could happen again. I have to pay for my usage, and some other fees like cleaning fee.
The specific number would be emailed to me later today, and he also told me that, if I am not satisfied with all 3 solutions, I have to find a lawyer.

Guys, if you were me, which one would you choose?

Last edited:
Update From Dec 18: Service manager called me, told me that the business solution team is working on some solution offers, and will update me in following weeks.
Update From Dec 30: Service manager called me, told me the process is approaching the end. There are 3 options but the number is not finalized yet as 11:50AM.
1. Keep the car, and wait for the fix, acknowledge that there is no guaranteed fixing time
3. Tesla buy back the car, however, I cannot buy Tesla for certain amount of time. Because the issue is so called universal issue (firmware issue), so they think if I buy other tesla cars, the problem could happen again. I have to pay for my usage, and some other fees like cleaning fee.

The specific number would be emailed to me later today, and he also told me that, if I am not satisfied with all 3 solutions, I have to find a lawyer.

I would go with option 3.
As far as this being a universal issue I haven’t seen many threads about this.

Wow. None of those options are appropriate. I can't believe they are trying to convince you this is normal behavior or that another new car will have this issue.

If you are arguably within the return period, (depends on your local laws and poss how you purchased the car - unseen from website vs in store) and you feel on solid ground, sign their rejection form and follow the return procedure based on goods not of merchantable quality. I'm in UK so you'd have to check what your consumer protection laws are.

That is assuming that you have done with Tesla.

However, I haven't seen the issue you describe as a common one and I've spent way too long digging through forums to have completely missed such a fault.

I have confidence that Tesla will fix it, but you will need to be super patient and document everything. Videos of the problem etc will help, and you may have to go back several times.

I bought a demo car, and can't believe the number of niggly issues (nothing like yours) that just should not be there. I'm even thinking it has had some undisclosed body work done. But the car is still exactly what I bought and if I had rejected it and still wanted a model S, I'd have been right back at the start again. So if you want the car, then I'd say document everything and keep everything documented and give them chance to fix it. Ideally, get them to agree that if they can't fix the problem within say a month, you have an agreed cost for them to buy back the car. At that point I'd say they should give you virtually the full price back since they couldn't fix it.

If you accept a loaner while they work on the car, that might make that harder to make work. Sucks, but if you want to strengthen your case for a near full refund if no fix then don't accept any 'favors' from them!

I think you can assume that the sales and service guys want your car to be right and you to be happy. If you can work with the Tesla system I think you'll get there in the end.

Last edited:
Wow. None of those options are appropriate. I can't believe they are trying to convince you this is normal behavior or that another new car will have this issue.
The service manager told me over the phone saying the car is drive-able and navigation is fine, it just shift happens time to time, and it happens to other people car a lot too. I said, it happens basically everyday now, it is not time to time, he replied, fine, ok, then changed the subject...

The service manager told me over the phone saying the car is drive-able and navigation is fine, it just shift happens time to time, and it happens to other people car a lot too. I said, it happens basically everyday now, it is not time to time, he replied, fine, ok, then changed the subject...

Can you (safely) get a video and post it here? My GPS is rock solid. Now AP....... that's a different story!

Are you saying option 3 is pretty much full price refund?

Sure, take that option if it's only going to cost you a hundred or two.

I didn't get why they would offer 1 and 2 (or think you would be interested) if they are offering full price buy back.

Because option 1 and 2 let you keep, or buy a new Tesla. Going with option 3 prevents you from buying another vehicle from Tesla for a year. (Possibly just the same Model/trim.)
Yes, that's what I thought, hence OP needs to decide if he wants that car.

But that deal about blocking from getting the same car seems to easy to get around to be of any help to Tesla doesn't it?

Looking at the Videos it does not look like GPS accuracy or antenna issue.

I know some geographies need tweaks for location on maps.
I wonder if the car is programmed for the wrong geography.
Also it could be just a map error.

If it were my own car, I'd try a factory reset, but they may not do a thing.

I had the EXACT same GPS issue and service was clueless until someone on TMC helped me and told me EXACTLY which part to replace. After I notified service, they spoke to their engineers and the engineers [supposedly] confirmed that the part shoudl fix the GPS drift. I had multiple visits too.

This was a few years ago, give me a few, let me see if I can dig it up for you.

Update From 2:27.
I was just told that Tesla gave me a good offer to resolve the issue, however, it was confidential, so I cannot post the exact terms here.
But I would say Tesla did took responsibility this time, and I am willing to keep trusting Tesla and be their client one more time:)

PEOPLE who has the similar issue with new delivered cars, you can PM me if you need some help about how to deal with those issue. I am very glad to help you guys.