Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Browser on V9 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Icey
Our government is comprised of three groups:
1. The Executive - basically the boss, which in 2018 is still unaccountably the governor-general.
Well in practice the Executive is the Cabinet (the Prime Minister and his or her Ministers), although some argue because they have been appointed by the GG the GG is the real boss. But the Cabinet is appointed by the GG on the advice of the PM - so the GG is not exercising independent decision making and it all comes back to “constitutional conventions” in our Westminster system. And don’t get me started on the GG being the representative of our Monarch, so the GG is only exercising powers on her behalf because, unaccountably in 2018, our Monarch doesn’t live here and is too busy being the Monarch of the country she does live in.

And the government has very little control over the public service, because the government comes and goes each election, whereas the public service is unchanging.
Except when Ministers sack their department heads, which they do, particularly after a change of government.

Who’d a thought a Tesla forum would be the place for a discussion on our system of government :eek:

Last edited:
It's not crap, it's feedback. Owners want it, and there doesn't appear to be a legislative barrier stopping it. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's to do with the Telstra internet deal. The cost of data (like everything else) is high in Australia, and maybe Tesla got a good deal on the promise that they limit the car's connection to 3G and to maps/spotify. Telsa kept a 3G modem in the car for a long time after an LTE modem as in cars in other markets.
My tesla has an LTE connection

• Love
Reactions: bob_bear
Well in practice the Executive is the Cabinet (the Prime Minister and his or her Ministers), although some argue because they have been appointed by the GG the GG is the real boss. But the Cabinet is appointed by the GG on the advice of the PM - so the GG is not exercising independent decision making and it all comes back to “constitutional conventions” in our Westminster system. And don’t get me started on the GG being the representative of our Monarch, so the GG is only exercising powers on her behalf because, unaccountably in 2018, our Monarch doesn’t live here and is too busy being the Monarch of the country she does live in.

Except when Ministers sack their department heads, which they do, particularly after a change of government.

Who’d a thought a Tesla forum would be the place for a discussion on our system of government :eek:
Yep I agree with all that, in principle.

But according to the constitution the GG is the executive arm, and Whitlam would attest to that.

We really need a way to make the public service more accountable at all levels. I have friends in public service (lawyers) and it’s basically a club from which you can’t be fired, with lots of perks and zero accountability.

And we really should be a republic by now.
Britain needs us as much as we need them in this brexit era.

For those wanting waze on the MCU, FWIW when we rented a Tesla in the UK recently the Tesla nav did better than both waze and google maps on a trip from north London to Surrey on a very congested M25... There are of course the additional features that waze offers but in terms of routing engine and traffic-based estimates I think the new Tesla nav is at least on a par with the alternatives.

To be slightly more on-topic I assume there are still no sightings of V9 on Oz cars as yet?

For those wanting waze on the MCU, FWIW when we rented a Tesla in the UK recently the Tesla nav did better than both waze and google maps on a trip from north London to Surrey on a very congested M25... There are of course the additional features that waze offers but in terms of routing engine and traffic-based estimates I think the new Tesla nav is at least on a par with the alternatives.

To be slightly more on-topic I assume there are still no sightings of V9 on Oz cars as yet?
Just like version 8, they are rolling out one country at a time. I think last time we waited more than a month

The lack of homelink is due to the manufacturer, not Tesla. All our cars have the wiring loom and connectors. As well the mounting point behind the bumper. Following a concerted push by me a few years ago (where I got nowhere) that was the final conclusion. I have no real idea what their issue is. They do make units in our frequency as they are sold into Europe. Possibly the problem lies with our regulators and the company does not want to spend the dough to get local regulatory approval.

When did we get new maps? In nearly 4 years of ownership, I was made aware of only one map upgrade. That was after about 18months of ownership.
I got new maps a few months ago.
A few ways to tell if you have the new maps:
1. Water looks grey rather than blue.
2. As you rotate the map the names stay horizontal.
3. If you go to Settings --> Apps --> Nav you can see options like "reroute if it save more than X minutes".

The update is silent, you don't initiate it or accept it, it just happens. Apparently it's a big file, 5GB or so, and might require wifi connection.

The lack of homelink is due to the manufacturer, not Tesla. All our cars have the wiring loom and connectors. As well the mounting point behind the bumper. Following a concerted push by me a few years ago (where I got nowhere) that was the final conclusion. I have no real idea what their issue is. They do make units in our frequency as they are sold into Europe. Possibly the problem lies with our regulators and the company does not want to spend the dough to get local regulatory approval.
I work for a medical device manufacturer, and we have to get new wireless devices approved by Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA). This is a surprisingly time-consuming process, seemingly for no other reason than that they are inefficient.

There have been whole generations of life-saving devices that we have given up trying to import because of this process.
This is made worse by medical devices also needing Therapeutic Goods Association (TGA) approval in Australia.

For example, we had a 1st-generation device approve by the TGA. It had already been approved by CE in Europe and FDA in the US.
But the ACMA approval dragged on for so long that we gave up the application process, knowing that our 2nd-gen product was 18 months away.
This meant that for 3 years or so Australians were denied this particular medical option, which was freely available in the US and Europe.
This device had a fundamental design change which made it safer than all other devices for a particular class of patient, yet for 3 years those patient were implanted with an older, less safe design simply due to slow regulators.

We absolutely need regulation, but unfortunately the regulators don't work at the speed of industry, and this inefficiency has real-world consequences.

I got new maps a few months ago.
A few ways to tell if you have the new maps:
1. Water looks grey rather than blue.
2. As you rotate the map the names stay horizontal.
3. If you go to Settings --> Apps --> Nav you can see options like "reroute if it save more than X minutes".

The update is silent, you don't initiate it or accept it, it just happens. Apparently it's a big file, 5GB or so, and might require wifi connection.

Note that the new (vector) maps are a separate thing to the new navigation engine. They are a pre-requisite but you don't have the new nav itself until the 'traffic aware re-routing' option exists under the App settings.