Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really looks like one of those cases where someone made a clerical error, typed something wrong, and a car ended up labeled wrong or in the wrong section of the website.

Except that it's happened now several times. And if it were such a one-off clerical error, I'd think Tesla would have fixed it by now.

Same with DU00 and DU01, except there are three oddball US Model S 75s already sold that have both DU00 and DU01 codes, which I suspect are just coding errors on the Tesla end.

I maintain my skepticism that this is actually a software locked battery, but I did find this funny. You were sure the 75/85 thing wasn't just a clerical error because it happened more than once, but here, where you see another example where they do have three cases of mislabeling, you do dismiss all of them as clerical errors, without a second thought. Why the difference? I get that one of them is something people want to be true.

I have absolutely no skin in the game... I don't really care which one is true. But when Tesla mistakenly lists a car as an 85kwh battery several times, badge icon and all, that's significantly more of a tell than a simple option code error like the dual DU00/DU01 situation on three cars.

I maintain my skepticism that this is actually a software locked battery, but I did find this funny. You were sure the 75/85 thing wasn't just a clerical error because it happened more than once, but here, where you see another example where they do have three cases of mislabeling, you do dismiss all of them as clerical errors, without a second thought. Why the difference? I get that one of them is something people want to be true.
I don't know how the drive unit codes get added incorrectly, but the BTX8 batteries that get delivered are labelled with 400v 85kWh labels and behave (charge) like 400v 85kWh batteries.

Do we know of any US cars built in August and that is confirmed to have BTX8 or BTX5? It is unclear what Tesla's plans are in terms of putting 85 battery for US cars. Kind of weird that they are doing this for Europe but not US. I would think they are doing this because they want people getting cars delivered at the same time (EOQ) to have the same batteries. Wondering if Tesla will start putting 85 batteries to US cars soon so that all cars delivered in September gets the 85 battery.

Do we know of any US cars built in August and that is confirmed to have BTX8 or BTX5? It is unclear what Tesla's plans are in terms of putting 85 battery for US cars. Kind of weird that they are doing this for Europe but not US. I would think they are doing this because they want people getting cars delivered at the same time (EOQ) to have the same batteries. Wondering if Tesla will start putting 85 batteries to US cars soon so that all cars delivered in September gets the 85 battery.

I hope so. That would be awesome since I'm expecting a September build and delivery.

I have an S75D with 85 KW Batteri. In Norway , was delivered 31th July , but that is the delayed date , my original date was 29th June, it was delayed because of some small scratches in transportation. I have the updated performance and high capacity charger.

How can I check whether I have DU00 or DU01

My specs :

https://www.tesla.com/no_NO/mytesla/pdf/view-design-pdf?model=ms&options=ADPX2,ADX5,ADX6,ADX7,ADX8,AF02,APF1,APH2,APPB,AU01,BCMB,BP00,BR05,BS00,BTX8,CDM0,CF01,CH04,CW02,DCF0,DRLH,DSH7,DV4W,FG02,FR04,HP00,IDCF,INBPB,IX01,LP01,MDLS,ME02,MI01,PF00,PI01,PK00,PPMR,PS01,PSPX5,PX00,QTPB,REEU,RFP2,SC05,SP01,SR01,SU01,TM00,TP03,TR00,UTAB,WTAS,WXW1,WXW2,WXW3,X001,X003,X007,X011,X014,X021,X025,X027,X028,X031,X037,X039,X044,YFFC&rn=RNxxxxxxx&src=dashboard

Last edited:
...How can I check whether I have DU00 or DU01...DCF0,DRLH,DSH7,DV4W...
If you had the new drive unit you would have DU00. DU01 is the larger rear motor. But it doesn't appear. You can ask Tesla what your production date was. Likely it was before 15 June. @rsan in Australia is the earliest pre-DU00 produced car with the performance update known. You may be the last. Would you be willing to install PowerTools and test your 0-100km time?

Last edited:
Check this out : Tesla Model S Options Decoder. Just copy your code and you'll see all your specs (including battery size). Cannot say whether 100% accurate but have no reason to believe otherwise, and it sure is cool.

This site just parses the web link which has all the option codes. The question is whether those option codes are infact correct in the weblink. For example, I just ordered a car (Fremont delivery) and it has BTX5. Does it actually mean Tesla will put a 75 battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Detay
Check this out : Tesla Model S Options Decoder. Just copy your code and you'll see all your specs (including battery size). Cannot say whether 100% accurate but have no reason to believe otherwise, and it sure is cool.
Does this count before it goes into production? Mine should go into production on 9/19 according to my delivery agent.

This is what the decoder currently shows:
DRLH
Left Hand Drive
FG02
Exterior Lighting Package
MI01
PI01
Premium Upgrades Package
COL2-PMNG
RFP2
Sunroof
WTDS