Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bugs in firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While in Valet Mode, bluetooth connection remains active, but access disabled on the console. This morning I left my phone in the house while setting my pin (~30 feet from the car). I was still able to pull up my contacts and recent calls using the steering wheel controls. Should of tried placing a call from the car. Should valet mode disable bluetooth?

Received 6.2 (.153) yesterday morning over my home wifi. Installed while parked at work in the afternoon. Seemed to really mess up the GPS, my car thinks it's about 1/4 mile from its actual location. Multiple re-boots of the center console and instrument cluster seems to fix it briefly then it drifts off. Something in the firmware seems to have messed up the GPS calibration. Two side-effects - my geo-fenced suspension and HomeLink settings didn't work as I approached my home, and when I plugged in at home, I didn't notice that it had failed to recognize it was at my home (where I have a charging schedule set up to use off-peak rates) so unbeknownst to me it started charging at peak rates until I noticed on my phone that the car was charging.

I've reported to Tesla, and discussed with my local Service Center, and they've all received reports of this. I was told by my SC manager that in most cases the GPS resets itself after a few days of driving. Very frustrating, I've found the GPS until now to be extremely accurate. My previous cars with GPS had a calibration utility. Would be nice to give us drivers the ability to force a re-calibration of the GPS and make adjustments.

Jamie, others in this thread have noted that deleting any saved locations, such as home, and re-entering them will have them be I the corrected location.

Yes I know that, but the problem here was that the GPS thought the car was in the wrong place, not the destination(s) – a GPS error, not a Nav error. Driving around in the car there's still an approximately 1/4 mile offset from where I actually am, so when driving on the freeway the Nav thinks I am flying through a residential neighborhood about 1/4 mile to the north of the highway (and the Nav is frantically re-routing every few seconds because it thinks I'm driving 80 mph across residential streets and through people's backyards).

To your point, the Nav directed me correctly to my house (or at least tried to - my house was placed correctly on the map) but when I parked in my garage the GPS error meant that the Nav thought the car was parked in a house 1/4 mile away. Thus it thought this was a new charging spot and assumed I wanted to start charging immediately. Also why geofenced suspension settings didn't work - it thought the car was 1/4 mile away.

I've heard about that. Does that really mean free water coming down from the sky? Doesn't that mean everything gets all wet without even turning on the sprinklers? If I drove up to Oregon do you think I could actually see this phenomenon for myself?
It's usually not Midwestern style rain, so not pouring / dumping buckets of water. But it's a steady easy drizzle. Often for days. Or weeks.
Californians are welcome to come here and watch that beautiful experience, but as our former Governor used to say "come, enjoy, and then LEAVE" :)
There is now a border checkpoint on I5 making sure that you are not taking unreasonable amounts of water back to CA with you...

Just an update on my GPS mis-calibration after 6.2 update.

After driving about 30 minutes last night, the GPS is re-calibrated to its pre-update precision. So my Service Center advisor was correct, that just driving allows the system to re-calibrate.

In retrospect, this was the first time I ran the update in a location (basement of a large parking structure at work) where the car probably had no GPS signal.

I wonder whether, when the system re-boots after an OS update, if it doesn't see a GPS signal it wipes its prior location and starts the re-calibration process?

If this is the case, it would be nice if Tesla warned you that the GPS signal is low or non-existant before hitting the 'update' button and warning you that doing the update in that location might require a period of re-calibration of the GPS system after the update.

This should be around #53 on the priority list. Sure correct it, but it's beyond a #firstworldproblem.

This adding a leading zero to the hours in the clock was probably not a bug with 6.2, but a design change.

I was split on where to put the recommendation "make it like it was."

Technically, not a new requested feature. Because it's not new.

Technically, not a bug... probably a design change.

You see my predicament?

The point being Tesla is wasting time and energy on the wrong things.

Fixing what isn't broken should not the priority... or maybe they've run out of things to do?

Here's my problem:
IMG_6358.JPG

I just did a RT from PHX to SEA a week ago and updated at exactly the turnaround point. On the way up I did what I always do, which is navigate to the next supercharger only and charge accordingly. If I have to make any diversions I usually use my phone which works better for local stuff. The entire way back I tried to use the new "stress free" nav system, but it crashed like this almost every time I stopped, and I would have to restart the entire route. I stopped restarting the route, and just went to navigating to the next supercharger like I used to do, however now the computer sometimes advises me to backtrack to the last supercharger before continuing to the next one. The simple workaround here is to flip the trip menu over and turn off supercharger routing. Also, the "tell you the minutes of charging" is useless when you can't do multi-leg trips. It's ok for me, I don't get range anxiety anyway because I always just charge an extra 30-50 miles over my trip, depending. Just annoying to see such a glaring failure happening on the screen of my car.

So in other words, this nav works less well and requires more effort to use than the last nav, and it crashes more. This is the only bad thing I've ever said about my favorite car company, but this software is abysmal. I hope they can hire some more software engineers and get it sorted out. And put a faster processor suite in my next car so the entire UI will respond more naturally.

Attachments

• IMG_6358.JPG
    IMG_6358.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 449
The entire way back I tried to use the new "stress free" nav system, but it crashed like this almost every time I stopped, and I would have to restart the entire route. I stopped restarting the route, and just went to navigating to the next supercharger like I used to do, however now the computer sometimes advises me to backtrack to the last supercharger before continuing to the next one.

I was just coming online to post basically both of these after completing our "Reach the Beach" roadtrip. If we stopped for a bathroom break or to grab a snack, the nav system would lock up as shown more often than not. You have to recalculate your destination to fix it.

I also had the backtracking problem in a completely different scenario. On my way to reach the beach, the nav system initially decided I could make it to Salisbury and skip the Woodbridge supercharger. It would have been close, but the chances of making it were getting better and better. At one point, for no apparent reason, it suddenly decided charging was needed urgently and instead of adding in Woodbridge (which I could obviously make with TONS of room to spare), it asked me to backtrack 30 miles or so back to the Richmond supercharger. I was, at that point, barely closer to Richmond than Woodbridge and was going to arrive at Woodbridge with like 60% or something.

The nav system also made some curious decisions about traffic avoidance in the Northern Virginia area. Choosing when to bail off I-95 and take Route 1 and when to get back on is always a challenge in heavy traffic. I trust Waze a lot more in those scenarios and Waze was predicting I'd get to Woodbridge 6 minutes sooner than the car by taking a different route. The crazy thing is that when I ignored the nav and drove past the exit it suggested, it recalculated the route and agreed with Waze that the new way was faster than the old way. In other words, it stayed with a reroute that its own data said was ~5 minutes longer.

I went to Hoodsport yesterday for one of my semi-frequent local diving trips. This is a trip that I've made more than a dozen times in my 60 and once already in the P85D. Just like everyone else I always simply routed from home to the next supercharger and from there to the destination, figuring out how much range I needed to be safe. Yesterday I thought "Ha, let's use the new feature" and routed directly to my destination and directly home. If in either direction I would have stopped supercharging when my car told me I had enough there is NO WAY I would have made it back to Centralia (so Centralia - Hoodsport - Centralia) or from Centralia to home.
They REALLY need to fix this piece of crap. Ending range anxiety? My a.. errr... rear. This thing will get people stranded if they are naive enough to believe they can stop charging when they are told so. I'm on .153, not sure if anything improved in the half dozen different trial balloon beta releases they apparently have pushed to the unsuspecting owners since, but yeah, wow. What a disaster.

My suggested charging time in Salisbury was basically right on. I arrived at Woodbridge on the way home with 12% instead of the 9% it was projecting initially. That was enough room to feel safe without feeling like it was excessively cautious. Of course, conditions were nearly perfect, so perhaps it failed because of elevation or something in your case? That really is a major failure if it tells you to stop charging well before you have adequate charge.

I went to Hoodsport yesterday for one of my semi-frequent local diving trips. This is a trip that I've made more than a dozen times in my 60 and once already in the P85D. Just like everyone else I always simply routed from home to the next supercharger and from there to the destination, figuring out how much range I needed to be safe. Yesterday I thought "Ha, let's use the new feature" and routed directly to my destination and directly home. If in either direction I would have stopped supercharging when my car told me I had enough there is NO WAY I would have made it back to Centralia (so Centralia - Hoodsport - Centralia) or from Centralia to home.
They REALLY need to fix this piece of crap. Ending range anxiety? My a.. errr... rear. This thing will get people stranded if they are naive enough to believe they can stop charging when they are told so. I'm on .153, not sure if anything improved in the half dozen different trial balloon beta releases they apparently have pushed to the unsuspecting owners since, but yeah, wow. What a disaster.

Last week I was in Dallas and decided to see how my trip planner works. Have not used it since I installed it on 4/14/15. I had about 153 miles left on the battery and it was warm weather ( 75-80 F). I needed about 118 miles to reach home and the navigation kept routing me to nearest supercharger.

I kept hitting home in my favorites on the navigation screen and still it routed me to the supercharger.

After being pissed off I unchecked the Trip planner and then navigation routed me to home. Reached home with 30 miles left on the battery. I am never going to use this beta version of the trip planner again.:cursing:

Map appeared with some grey 'tiles' and slacker stopped working due to "No connectivity" although the screen showed 5 full bars....center console reboot fixed the problem. I'm on vers .153

P.S. console reboots are very rare for us, I think we've only had to do that maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 2.5 years.