Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Chademo or wait for CCS Adapter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I just picked up my 2021 M3SR+ last week and debating whether I should buy the Chademo adapter or wait for the CCS Combo adapter to release in North America. I live in Surrey, British Columbia and the nearest Supercharger to me is a 15 minute drive whereas the closest BC hydro Chademo/CCS DC fast charger is only a 4 minute drive. I don’t have the option to plug in to my landlords house so I street park. Should I purchase the Chademo adapter or wait for the CCS adapter?

Have you seen any news about a CCS adapter release date from Tesla?
I couldn't see something that indicated it is coming to NA.

Based on that, if you need an adapter to CCS/Chademo, I would go ahead with the Chademo.
I’ve only heard rumours online. I believe they released one in South Korea but no official release date for North America.

The Setec adapter is now $460 USD, but SR+ cars can't charge over 50kW; that may be a limitation that even an official Tesla adapter can't overcome. Chademo vehicles are no longer being sold in North America, so you risk less and less chargers supporting it over time.

All that being said, do whatever you can to get home charging set up, even if it's only a 15A 240V circuit. Relying solely on DC fast charging degrades your batter over time, so it's best to avoid it.

The Setec adapter is now $460 USD, but SR+ cars can't charge over 50kW; that may be a limitation that even an official Tesla adapter can't overcome. Chademo vehicles are no longer being sold in North America, so you risk less and less chargers supporting it over time.

All that being said, do whatever you can to get home charging set up, even if it's only a 15A 240V circuit. Relying solely on DC fast charging degrades your batter over time, so it's best to avoid it.
Oh wow I didn’t know that information. Thats very helpful thank you! I’ll be moving to a new place in July so will definitely look for a plug in option at home to prevent battery degradation.

After multiple failures, the latest firmware update 1.51 has made the SETEC CCS-1 to Tesla adapter function at upto 50 kW DCFC with our 2012 Signature Edition Tesla P85 Model S at an Electrify America CCS charger. So far, this is the only one I've been able to get it will work with. EVgo and Charge Point are not yet working for us with this adapter.

It is not something I would want to rely on. It is fussy to get working and charges much slower than the 120 kW we can pull from a Tesla Supercharger, but as a faster alternative to Level 2 charging when a Supercharger is not nearby, like the CHAdeMO adapter, it is great to have when traveling and may get better with future firmware updates. We paid $460 which is about the same as our CHAdeMO adapter.

Attachments

• 20210604_173323.jpg
    20210604_173323.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 412
After multiple failures, the latest firmware update 1.51 has made the SETEC CCS-1 to Tesla adapter function at upto 50 kW DCFC with our 2012 Signature Edition Tesla P85 Model S at an Electrify America CCS charger. So far, this is the only one I've been able to get it will work with. EVgo and Charge Point are not yet working for us with this adapter.

It is not something I would want to rely on. It is fussy to get working and charges much slower than the 120 kW we can pull from a Tesla Supercharger, but as a faster alternative to Level 2 charging when a Supercharger is not nearby, like the CHAdeMO adapter, it is great to have when traveling and may get better with future firmware updates. We paid $460 which is about the same as our CHAdeMO adapter.

Have you had any luck with the PetroCan chargers? Someone posted getting better charging rates with them, but I’m trying to get that confirmed.

The car comes with a J1772 adapter for L2 charging @ 208/240V (32A for SR+, 48A for LR/Perf) and a mobile connector, for which you can buy various adapters for household (+RV park) plugs. If you want L3 charging (in addition to supercharging), you need the Tesla Chademo adapter or the Setec CCS adapter, both of which top out at 50kW.

The car comes with a J1772 adapter for L2 charging @ 208/240V (32A for SR+, 48A for LR/Perf) and a mobile connector, for which you can buy various adapters for household (+RV park) plugs. If you want L3 charging (in addition to supercharging), you need the Tesla Chademo adapter or the Setec CCS adapter, both of which top out at 50kW.
Ah, okay. I have a Siemens charger in my driveway from my previous electric car, an e-Golf. I think I'll be okay with the adapters the car comes with!

Since the 1.50 firmware update for our SETEC CCS to Tesla adapter made it functional for charging our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S at Electrify America chargers, I thought I'd try it again at the local Chargepoint CCS DCFC station at Harley-Davidson in Cheyenne, WY where it previously would NOT work under firmware 1.41. This time it worked quite easily.

The firmware from SETEC is available on their website. It is used to update the adapter, not the car.

Hey guys, I just picked up my 2021 M3SR+ last week and debating whether I should buy the Chademo adapter or wait for the CCS Combo adapter to release in North America. I live in Surrey, British Columbia and the nearest Supercharger to me is a 15 minute drive whereas the closest BC hydro Chademo/CCS DC fast charger is only a 4 minute drive. I don’t have the option to plug in to my landlords house so I street park. Should I purchase the Chademo adapter or wait for the CCS adapter?

The Chademo adapter works well and you will be happy. Typically get 40kW ~ less than an hour for a full charge.

My first adapter was faulty and I had to swallow the cost of a second as BCHydro and Tesla blamed BCH - but that is the only maintenance cost in 22 months, so can't complain overall.

You will wait forever for a CCS adapter.

Reactions: gforce2002
Using SETEC CCS1 to Tesla adapter and version 1.50 firmware (for the adapter) our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S with its upgraded 90kWh battery (2021 edition) was able to charge at 66kW at the 150kW Electrify America charging station outside of Target in Superior, Colorado (I may have misspoke and said Broomfield in the video). The charging station could deliver more power than the adapter will deliver. I think part of the rate limiting factor is that to communicate with the car it emulates CHAdeMO charging protocols, so the car limits the rate to those protocols. it's a convoluted way to do things, but it works sufficiently that we're glad we have this for those times we need to add charge while traveling and a Supercharger isn't nearby, but a CCS1 charger is. Unfortunately, I ended the recording just before it got upto 66kW. I took a still picture of it but have not edited it into the video.

The charging behavior with the SETEC adapter is counterintuitive. The charging rate actually increases as it charges, reaching its maximum in 10 - 15 minutes. It only took a couple of minutes to be above 60kW, so it's not a big difference.

Just for comparison if I went to a Tesla Supercharger under the same conditions, pur Tesla would charge at 100-120kW. I don't think these adapters will get much use when a Supercharger is nearby. The Electrify America chargers cost more than what Trsla charges at its Supercharger at most locations. For us, we have "free Supercharging for the life of the car" so we have even less reason to charge elsewhere if not necessary.

I was very skeptical of this product when I first learned of it. At this point, I think it is worth the $460 we paid when we bought it directly from the manufacturer. The price has gone up since then. Like any accessory, each person has to decide what makes sense for them. Given our travel preferences, it makes sense for us, and it works. The biggest problem is that at this time, it does not work with all CCS1 (CCS/SAE Combo) chargers, that likely will improve with time. The manufacturer has released firmware updates that has improved functionality and compatibility. I expect that to continue. At the time I write this EVgo has barred the use of "non-OEM EV manufacturer adapters", so this likely won't work with them until such time EVgo can validate the safety of using it for their own equipment and potential liability exposure for damage to the car being charged. Things like this are growing pains for charging infrastructure. EVgo has partnered with Tesla to add Tesla connectors at some of their charging stations. This may become more common in the future among other EV charging companies. Until then, this adapter works with some CCS1 charging stations. When traveling, we will carry it along with our CHAdeMO adapter, expanding where we can go with our Tesla without hesitation.

20210717_173508.jpg
20210717_173545.jpg
20210717_173551.jpg

Personally - I'm waiting for Tesla to release a CCS adapter. Now that they have announced that super charging will be open to everyone, it only makes sense to release the CCS adapter so that we can charge everywhere as well. I'm in no great hurry, but I'm very impressed that Tesla has taken the first step to open super charging. A necessary step to make EV charging more universally available and bring it in line with what we have had for decades with gas stations.

Hey, I'm new to the Tesla life (so new that I don't even have mine yet). Ordered Model 3 in May 2021 and awaiting. Is the adapter that the car comes with sufficient for adapting to public chargers?
Your car should come with a couple of adapters. My Model Y came with a j1772 adapter, which has worked well with most level 2 chargers. It also came with an adapter that allowed me to plug into an extension cord at my brother-in-law's house last weekend. It was very slow, but it worked. I had to set the amps down to 20 to make it work. I'm still trying to learn...apparently CCS-1 is the up-and-coming standard for non-Tesla EV fast charging in the US, but maybe Model 3 and Y can't use it for fast charging, and the adapters are expensive. I have seen in some of these forums where Tesla is supposed to be "offering one soon," whatever that means. I don't know a lot about Chademo. I live in a condo building, so I can't entertain putting in a 220V home system, but we have a ChargePoint Level 2 station in our complex, and a Tesla SuperCharger station a couple of miles away. We took our first road trip (260 miles) last weekend, to western Pennsylvania from Virginia. It was a little hairy, but now that I know the charging landscape in that area, I can do better next time. Had I had the capacity for CCS-1 fast charging, it would have been easier, because there was a Sheetz station with 4 CCS-1 chargers near where we were staying; the closest Supercharger was 30 miles away (in the wrong direction). It made my wife very nervous watching the charge decrease when we were far from the station, because it's not like you can get AAA to come out with a can of volts to get you to the next charging station if you run out. Having said that, though, had I planned a bit better we would never have gotten low.

Your car should come with a couple of adapters. My Model Y came with a j1772 adapter, which has worked well with most level 2 chargers. It also came with an adapter that allowed me to plug into an extension cord at my brother-in-law's house last weekend. It was very slow, but it worked. I had to set the amps down to 20 to make it work. I'm still trying to learn...apparently CCS-1 is the up-and-coming standard for non-Tesla EV fast charging in the US, but maybe Model 3 and Y can't use it for fast charging, and the adapters are expensive. I have seen in some of these forums where Tesla is supposed to be "offering one soon," whatever that means. I don't know a lot about Chademo. I live in a condo building, so I can't entertain putting in a 220V home system, but we have a ChargePoint Level 2 station in our complex, and a Tesla SuperCharger station a couple of miles away. We took our first road trip (260 miles) last weekend, to western Pennsylvania from Virginia. It was a little hairy, but now that I know the charging landscape in that area, I can do better next time. Had I had the capacity for CCS-1 fast charging, it would have been easier, because there was a Sheetz station with 4 CCS-1 chargers near where we were staying; the closest Supercharger was 30 miles away (in the wrong direction). It made my wife very nervous watching the charge decrease when we were far from the station, because it's not like you can get AAA to come out with a can of volts to get you to the next charging station if you run out. Having said that, though, had I planned a bit better we would never have gotten low.
Welcome to Long Distance Travel with a Tesla! Our first couple of trips were DAL-New Orleans, with a 3LR+, and since I am an Engineer, of course I was suspicious, and knew more than did the car. <harrumph>. Same thing with the navigation. And of course,
we fretted and worried for no reason. But it's a learning experience.

Now as a grizzled 18 month veteran, <yawn>, I have learned the secret: Let the car do the thinking. Do what it says. Relax and enjoy.

I have found that it is actually a little pessimistic, and won't leave you twisting in the wind. Between AbetterRoutePlanner.com and the Tesla software, we just check a new route just to be sure, get in, then stomp and steer.

And of course, the Doomsday solution is to yell for help from Tesla and let them tote you to a charger. But again. that's the Doomsday solution you will likely never need. Nice to have that in your pocket.

Reactions: Vawlkus
The way I see adapters is that it opens up options. I've had the experience where, coming back from a holiday trip, a major SC along the way was 20car-wait and I used the chademo to charge at a nearby station with 0 wait. Or I thought I was only going to work and back, and the 35% of battery remaining in the car is enough, and then, wife asks me to pick up this and that "on the way home" when that thing is nowhere near the way. :D

If a CCS adapter becomes available, I'd get it in a heartbeat. Just so that I can charge everywhere.

Is 600CAD expensive for an adapter? Sure... but I see as a cost of ownership to EV.

We might eventually have a single connector but until then... I'd get whatever dominant protocol adapters so I am always prepared for surprises.

Reactions: lukex4 and Vawlkus
The way I see adapters is that it opens up options. I've had the experience where, coming back from a holiday trip, a major SC along the way was 20car-wait and I used the chademo to charge at a nearby station with 0 wait. Or I thought I was only going to work and back, and the 35% of battery remaining in the car is enough, and then, wife asks me to pick up this and that "on the way home" when that thing is nowhere near the way. :D

If a CCS adapter becomes available, I'd get it in a heartbeat. Just so that I can charge everywhere.

Is 600CAD expensive for an adapter? Sure... but I see as a cost of ownership to EV.

We might eventually have a single connector but until then... I'd get whatever dominant protocol adapters so I am always prepared for surprises.
Same here..waiting for Tesla to ship mine lol