Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy Chademo or wait for CCS Adapter?

Ivanpecuh

Mar 22, 2021
Vancouver
Hey guys, I just picked up my 2021 M3SR+ last week and debating whether I should buy the Chademo adapter or wait for the CCS Combo adapter to release in North America. I live in Surrey, British Columbia and the nearest Supercharger to me is a 15 minute drive whereas the closest BC hydro Chademo/CCS DC fast charger is only a 4 minute drive. I don’t have the option to plug in to my landlords house so I street park. Should I purchase the Chademo adapter or wait for the CCS adapter?

Tarpan

Jan 2, 2021
Vancouver, BC
Have you seen any news about a CCS adapter release date from Tesla?
I couldn't see something that indicated it is coming to NA.

Based on that, if you need an adapter to CCS/Chademo, I would go ahead with the Chademo.

Ivanpecuh

Mar 22, 2021
Vancouver
Have you seen any news about a CCS adapter release date from Tesla?
I couldn't see something that indicated it is coming to NA.

Based on that, if you need an adapter to CCS/Chademo, I would go ahead with the Chademo.
I’ve only heard rumours online. I believe they released one in South Korea but no official release date for North America.

pb2000

Dec 22, 2019
Calgary
The Setec adapter is now $460 USD, but SR+ cars can't charge over 50kW; that may be a limitation that even an official Tesla adapter can't overcome. Chademo vehicles are no longer being sold in North America, so you risk less and less chargers supporting it over time.

All that being said, do whatever you can to get home charging set up, even if it's only a 15A 240V circuit. Relying solely on DC fast charging degrades your batter over time, so it's best to avoid it.

Reactions: mrElbe

Ivanpecuh

Mar 22, 2021
Vancouver
The Setec adapter is now $460 USD, but SR+ cars can't charge over 50kW; that may be a limitation that even an official Tesla adapter can't overcome. Chademo vehicles are no longer being sold in North America, so you risk less and less chargers supporting it over time.

All that being said, do whatever you can to get home charging set up, even if it's only a 15A 240V circuit. Relying solely on DC fast charging degrades your batter over time, so it's best to avoid it.
Oh wow I didn’t know that information. Thats very helpful thank you! I’ll be moving to a new place in July so will definitely look for a plug in option at home to prevent battery degradation.

Dec 27, 2015
Cheyenne, WY
After multiple failures, the latest firmware update 1.51 has made the SETEC CCS-1 to Tesla adapter function at upto 50 kW DCFC with our 2012 Signature Edition Tesla P85 Model S at an Electrify America CCS charger. So far, this is the only one I've been able to get it will work with. EVgo and Charge Point are not yet working for us with this adapter.

It is not something I would want to rely on. It is fussy to get working and charges much slower than the 120 kW we can pull from a Tesla Supercharger, but as a faster alternative to Level 2 charging when a Supercharger is not nearby, like the CHAdeMO adapter, it is great to have when traveling and may get better with future firmware updates. We paid $460 which is about the same as our CHAdeMO adapter.

Attachments

• 20210604_173323.jpg
    20210604_173323.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D

Vawlkus

Feb 28, 2017
Halifax
After multiple failures, the latest firmware update 1.51 has made the SETEC CCS-1 to Tesla adapter function at upto 50 kW DCFC with our 2012 Signature Edition Tesla P85 Model S at an Electrify America CCS charger. So far, this is the only one I've been able to get it will work with. EVgo and Charge Point are not yet working for us with this adapter.

It is not something I would want to rely on. It is fussy to get working and charges much slower than the 120 kW we can pull from a Tesla Supercharger, but as a faster alternative to Level 2 charging when a Supercharger is not nearby, like the CHAdeMO adapter, it is great to have when traveling and may get better with future firmware updates. We paid $460 which is about the same as our CHAdeMO adapter.

Have you had any luck with the PetroCan chargers? Someone posted getting better charging rates with them, but I’m trying to get that confirmed.

ArdeliaMapp

Jun 7, 2021
Vancouver, BC
Hey, I'm new to the Tesla life (so new that I don't even have mine yet). Ordered Model 3 in May 2021 and awaiting. Is the adapter that the car comes with sufficient for adapting to public chargers?

pb2000

Dec 22, 2019
Calgary
The car comes with a J1772 adapter for L2 charging @ 208/240V (32A for SR+, 48A for LR/Perf) and a mobile connector, for which you can buy various adapters for household (+RV park) plugs. If you want L3 charging (in addition to supercharging), you need the Tesla Chademo adapter or the Setec CCS adapter, both of which top out at 50kW.

ArdeliaMapp

Jun 7, 2021
Vancouver, BC
The car comes with a J1772 adapter for L2 charging @ 208/240V (32A for SR+, 48A for LR/Perf) and a mobile connector, for which you can buy various adapters for household (+RV park) plugs. If you want L3 charging (in addition to supercharging), you need the Tesla Chademo adapter or the Setec CCS adapter, both of which top out at 50kW.
Ah, okay. I have a Siemens charger in my driveway from my previous electric car, an e-Golf. I think I'll be okay with the adapters the car comes with!

Dec 27, 2015
Cheyenne, WY
Since the 1.50 firmware update for our SETEC CCS to Tesla adapter made it functional for charging our 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S at Electrify America chargers, I thought I'd try it again at the local Chargepoint CCS DCFC station at Harley-Davidson in Cheyenne, WY where it previously would NOT work under firmware 1.41. This time it worked quite easily.

The firmware from SETEC is available on their website. It is used to update the adapter, not the car.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC