Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUY FSD TODAY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How's this for a picture of FSD? Just kidding. lol

tesla-dog-e1540057110926.jpg

Just kidding. lol

Tesla is working on a ‘dog mode’ to keep your puppies safe and cool inside their vehicles

They really need to clarify what’s going on. I think Elon has come to the realization that FSD is not as easily achievable as he thought and he decided to dial the whole thing back. It’s really unclear what happens for those of use who already fronted the $$$. I think they have a liability on their hands with everyone who already purchased FSD.

Not a liability for FSD $$$. They have liability of a whole car. That was a big reason I bought a Tesla. I didn’t expect it for years. But I did expect them to follow through on the contract.

This doesn’t mean they are backing off on FSD. Like the OP thinks it could be a big step forward. We just don’t know yet.

BTW, if I recall there was a date associated with the option to buy FSD for $5000.00 after purchase. I never knew what exactly this meant, but I assumed that the price after purchase was gonna change on that date. I wonder if that “date” is now and they are just trying to figure out new pricing and perhaps they are adjusting the production line with the new hardware. But there will probably be a transistion period.

Maybe because orders now might start coming in next year with the new version hardware. CPU & Camera?

Hey, I bet I know what’s going on.

FSD is now free, and lumped into EAP.

It makes sense. Tax credit is going away. $3500.00

Tesla needs to shave $3500 off to keep it at the same price point.

Best way to do that is to start shaving off “software” hikes.

This simplifies things too.

They probably can’t detail all that or people will get upset that just paid for it yesterday. Or folks that have pending orders with it.

They will just stay quiet for a while. So folks that did buy it think they got something.

That’s my hunch.

• Funny
Reactions: brianman
Absolutely not. Enhanced Auto Pilot "isn't" an autopilot.

Its a drivers assist group of features so far. Its not auto piloting because it can't make real "pilots" decisions yet. Far from it.
You know why people aren't complaining about EAP not being a full out autopilot at this moment?

i'm not sure if you're just being intentionally obtuse here or what the hell is going on...

I have way too much invested into TSLA, both shares and options and I am buahahahaha at
-Coast to coast drive
-Tesla Mobility
-Solar roofs
-Tesla music
-Tesla pickup (for now)

However, I do not regret 3000 and 4000 into FSD due to my realistic expectations of what I hope to get out of my investment.

IMO "Drive-On-Nav" is more FSD feature than EAP.

All they have to do is re-allocate it. Then FSD would have a feature.

My point - FSD does NOT have to be fully rolled out for FSD to exist. EAP is not fully deployed and people are satisfied.

Watch the poll.....don't just trust me.
Do you regret buying (or not buying) FSD?

Again, you are conflating the name of the "FSD" package with a car that does not require a human driver.

But I will agree with you that the "FSD" package will exist once Tesla actually releases a software version that provides different features for "FSD" and EAP cars. But that has not yet happened, so the "FSD" package does not yet exist. And every car currently on the consumer market requires a human driver.

Thanks for linking to my poll. It's interesting to see people's attitudes on the value (or not) of the FSD package. It doesn't change the fact that the package does not yet exist or that the package is a different thing than a car that does not require a driver; something that Tesla has acknowledged when they said that the name of the package was confusing.

"Tesla is expected to release the first features of its Full Self-Driving suite with the rollout of Software Version 9. The company teased some of these capabilities in the Q2 2018 earnings call, when Elon Musk and Stuart Bowers, a member of the Tesla Autopilot development team, discussed some of the features that would likely be included in the upcoming update. Among these is highway on-ramp to off-ramp capabilities, automatic lane changes, and Integrated Navigation, to name a few. "

Tesla Autopilot, FSD challenges highlighted by Waymo's difficulties in real-world testing

on-ramp to off-ramp capabilities - first FSD only feature?

For whatever it’s worth, yesterday while I was scheduling service and the employee was bantering waiting for something on his end he offered up “hey, you wanna know how much the Tesla/Intel/Invidia computer part costs to order? $19,000.”

My first thought is that Tesla has it priced that way in their system to try and prevent these things from getting out into the wild willy-nilly for hackers and reverse engineers.

My second thought is, even if the part costs 1/10th that, it is going to not be an insignificant amount Tesla shells out upgrading the fleet to FSD.

My “hope” is that when the NN AP3 computer makes its way into all new cars and Tesla begins installing it, those who bought FSD up front will be treated as having a “reservation” and will get priority access to the upgrade, and the legions who DIDN’T buy will be able to upgrade for the original 3k price for a limited time as one of their demand levers (like free Supercharging) and that eventually the price will change a bit then normalize.

It’s very definitely NOT a matter of “anyone lying to us” or anything like that. There are a staggering amount of moving parts in all the facets of something like this. I take the unpopular forum viewpoint of “wow! What a time to be alive! We are watching history be made!!”

I think Tesla removed FSD as an option on current orders as they may have realized selling FSD without, what they will soon claim is "required" for FSD (i.e. the new hardware, amounts to fraud potentially. They cannot claim they have an expectation that FSD will work with the hardware as sold in current cars any longer after they announced the new hardware, particularly when they used words like "with full redundancy and fail-over" implying this cannot be achieved with 2.X hardware as it is currently being sold.

Just my guess, but if you look at the class action lawsuit they lost regarding EAP and FSD in 2.0 cars, this is close to the finding of the case, where Tesla was found to have no expectation they could deliver the features claimed with the hardware delivered essentially. The finding was also linked to consumer's decision to purchase based on these features becoming available shortly. If you couple these two it makes sense to move FSD to an aftermarket option as it is no longer linked to the vehicle purchase decision directly and circumvents similar claims potentially.

Full disclosure; I am not an attorney, just seems like a reasonable reason to move FSD to an aftermarket option.

For whatever it’s worth, yesterday while I was scheduling service and the employee was bantering waiting for something on his end he offered up “hey, you wanna know how much the Tesla/Intel/Invidia computer part costs to order? $19,000.”

My first thought is that Tesla has it priced that way in their system to try and prevent these things from getting out into the wild willy-nilly for hackers and reverse engineers.

No way the chip costs $19,000. I agree with you: Tesla priced it high so nobody would buy it, though a rival company could pay $19,000 in an eyeblink if they wanted to try to reverse-engineer it. They'd probably buy a few dozen. Maybe already have.

My second thought is, even if the part costs 1/10th that, it is going to not be an insignificant amount Tesla shells out upgrading the fleet to FSD.

The Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz 58.47 costs $200. The new Tesla chip probably costs 1/100 of the "list" price. Less to Tesla since they will buy it in bulk.

I take the unpopular forum viewpoint of “wow! What a time to be alive! We are watching history be made!!”

I'd say that yours is the majority view here, not an unpopular one. The technology is new and therefore immature and so there are a gazillion improvements and corrections to be made, and we all have our opinions and if we're on a web forum we're probably all pretty vocal about them. But yes, by all means, this is a "wow!" time to be alive and watch all the new stuff and play with it. Whether or not we agree with the OP in this particular thread.

No way the chip costs $19,000. I agree with you: Tesla priced it high so nobody would buy it, though a rival company could pay $19,000 in an eyeblink if they wanted to try to reverse-engineer it. They'd probably buy a few dozen. Maybe already have.

The Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz 58.47 costs $200. The new Tesla chip probably costs 1/100 of the "list" price. Less to Tesla since they will buy it in bulk.

I'd say that yours is the majority view here, not an unpopular one. The technology is new and therefore immature and so there are a gazillion improvements and corrections to be made, and we all have our opinions and if we're on a web forum we're probably all pretty vocal about them. But yes, by all means, this is a "wow!" time to be alive and watch all the new stuff and play with it. Whether or not we agree with the OP in this particular thread.

That was exactly why I bought the car. I wanted to be part of it and witness it first hand as it happens. But if Tesla is backing off on FSD that big wow just became a whole lot smaller.

I’m guessing FSD is alive and well and I’d much rather be on the side that bought FSD with the vehicle than not at this moment.

It's more likely Elon was referring to the usage of all eight cameras as part of the FSD features, even though it's technically a EAP feature
It way my understanding that Drive-on-nav used all 8 cameras.
So they're going to have drive-on-nav for EAP and FSD but the FSD version will change lanes in to other cars less often? I'm curious how they're going to word that on the website.o_O

So they're going to have drive-on-nav for EAP and FSD but the FSD version will change lanes in to other cars less often? I'm curious how they're going to word that on the website.o_O
It'll be for both, but it's my belief that when Elon had mentioned V9 would come with some FSD features he was initially referring to the use of all eight cameras, with NNs.

It was always marketing BS about the number of cameras. With no rear radar units the other cameras would eventually have to be used for safety in EAP.

The biggest differentiator will be that FSD works properly off the highway, obeys traffic signals, etc.