Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BUY FSD TODAY!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But cars sold between Oct 18 and the release of HW 3 are not being sold as having the needed hardware, so these buyers could be in the uncomfortable situation of having to pay a very large added upgrade fee to get to the FSD package.

They are still being sold as having the necessary hardware:
Autopilot

As far as I know the only thing that changed on Oct 18 was that Tesla removed the option to purchase the FSD package at time of purchase. Otherwise cars are still being sold with "the hardware needed for full self-driving..."

I don’t see the relevance. If a person isn’t buying the FSD package, they have no reasonable expectation of receiving new hardware, at any price. Currently, if you have 2.0 hardware and want to upgrade to 2.5 hardware to add dash camera functionality, the cost is ~$10K assuming you can find a rep willing to sell it to you.
I disagree because when I configured my Tesla, the FSD option gave me 2 choices: now for $3K or later for $4K. Why isn't that choice suggest a reasonable expectation?

I disagree because when I configured my Tesla, the FSD option gave me 2 choices: now for $3K or later for $4K. Why isn't that choice suggest a reasonable expectation?
If you purchased a Tesla when FSD was available as a post-delivery option, then, I agree, it is reasonable to expect that you will be able to purchase the FSD option in the future, at some price. I was asserting that customers who do not purchase the FSD option (before or after delivery) have no realistic expectation of receiving improved hardware and software for FSD.

Last edited:
Autopilot

As far as I know the only thing that changed on Oct 18 was that Tesla removed the option to purchase the FSD package at time of purchase. Otherwise cars are still being sold with "the hardware needed for full self-driving..."

I didn't read the 18 pages of comments, so excuse me if I am repeating something already said. Elon said in the conference call that they are still working on FSD and it is still available as an off menu option for people who want what he considers a discount on its future enabled abilities.

Reactions: djgarrett21
Autopilot

That page is out of date since it says that FSD will double the number of active cameras from 4 to 8. My EAP car now uses all 8 cameras. That page also continues to promise features that I do not believe they'll be able to deliver before most 2018 cars are obsolete due to advances in technology.

And at present Tesla is selling cars that it knows do not have the necessary hardware, since they're going to have to switch out computers to make any car sold to date capable of running the FSD software.

This is a bit circular, but how long did Tesla mean when they gave me that option?

“Later” could be now. Or yesterday.

Perhaps they meant the period between when you bought and when FSD was imminent, but not after.

You have since had the option to buy at the quoted “later” price. Doesn’t mean you’ll have it tomorrow.

No different than prepaid maintenance - the price is now vs “later” - but we all know service costs flux. So some prepurchased as a hedge.

You don’t have the right to buy anything at a given price forever. Not sure why this is difficult for so many people.

It’s very true that Tesla can change the “later” time.

The later date is whenever Tesla decides to change th pricing.

I think mostly what is happening is people that didn’t purchase fsd are upset that this feature could (will) cost much more in the future.
I think the problem is the way it was presented. Since Tesla did not include any disclaimer or asterisks they arguably gave me the impression that I had an option of adding FSD post-configuration for a 33% premium. It's only been a few months since I bought my car and it feels like Tesla is trying to change that agreement and that is an issue for me. That's what I think the problem is.

I think mostly what is happening is people that didn’t purchase fsd are upset that this feature could (will) cost much more in the future.

Not me. I assumed that since I did not order it with the car, it would cost $4,000 to add it until the price went up. Then it would cost whatever Tesla felt people would pay. They raised it to $5,000, which is what it shows on my account page, and I was actually surprised to learn that Tesla is refunding $1,000 of that to people who bought their cars before the buy-it-later price went up.

My experience with Tesla is that they are doing more to be consumer friendly than any other car company. I think over-promising was a mistake. But I think they'll do what's right, as far as possible given the promise they cannot keep, of making 2018 Model 3 cars Level 5 full self-driving.

Reactions: DrAtomic
I think the problem is the way it was presented. Since Tesla did not include any disclaimer or asterisks they arguably gave me the impression that I had an option of adding FSD post-configuration for a 33% premium. It's only been a few months since I bought my car and it feels like Tesla is trying to change that agreement and that is an issue for me. That's what I think the problem is.

I think you can exercise your 33% premium option now. I also expect that sometime in the near future Tesla will say that in a short period of time, say two weeks, the upgrade option will be a 50% or more premium. Then you’ll likely have a very limited time to get your 33% option.

It could happen if Tesla think that FSD is more expensive than they previously thought or that it is more valuable than they previously thought.

You still get a choice, but it could have a time limit especially if FSD skills are achievable. Some of the posters here think that will be years from now, others think it’s likely in 2019.

Note that Waymo has FSD in Phoenix and soon will be running a commercial fleet there.

I expect significant progress in 2019 with Tesla.

If you buy the car today there is no limit to what they could charge you for the FSD upgrade. They removed the option to buy with the language that suggested the price in the future. In the grand scheme of things they do not really have that many cars that they have made a future price promise to. They already indicated that they would honor the price of a future upgrade that the website stated when you bought your car. People that buy/configure today unless they call and get the FSD option off the menu do not have a stated upgrade price.

In reality they only have 100k or so model 3s with some sort of price commitment (either prepaid or stated upgrade price after release). If they get to their production goals of 500k per year, in a couple years, it will be a small and shrinking percentage of a guaranteed price. Yes they will probably start stuffing model 3s with HW3.0 but, that does not mean that they will give some sort of discount to HW 3.0 cars vs 2.5. They could say it is $7500 to upgrade to FSD, even if you have HW3.0, if you configured after the FSD removal. If you prepaid the upgraded hardware is free, if you did not prepay and are one of the first 100K your upgrade is the price stated when you configured.

... I also expect that sometime in the near future Tesla will say that in a short period of time, say two weeks, the upgrade option will be a 50% or more premium. Then you’ll likely have a very limited time to get your 33% option.

I bet the above is what will happen: Tesla will announce a cut-off date for the price. You'll have a stated time period to buy the "FSD" package for the price that was promised when you bought the car. After that time, if you have not already paid for it, the price will go up.

I don't think they'll charge HW 2.5 cars more than they charge HW 3.0 cars for an after-purchase upgrade because they promised that all cars had all the necessary hardware. But the after-purchase price for the package could be whatever they feel like charging. It won't be cheap. Tesla is not a cut-rate brand. But they'll do right by the owners who counted on their promises.

This will be our only upscale car after we sell the S. So decided to add FSD. Called and they told me $3k. I said sign me up. We haven't bought a new car for 8 years. We plan to keep this '3' for 8 years. $3k (that gets rolled into loan) to future proof and protect the value of the car a little more. I'm in.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
Update, i called to add EAP and FSD to my MR order two days ago and i just got email confirming change to a fully loaded P3D. Yea, sure if you are selling me that at my MR order codt! Wtf!? This better not screw up where i am in line for the MR and the $45k price!

wow, they have the nerve to tell me that I made that change. Okay, I think I would know if I changed my $42k car to $72k. WOW

They created a ticket via email and requested I confirm what changes I want made. I set a very unpleasant tone in the email and asked my 'spot' and issue be escalated. Basically I may have lost 1.5 weeks in line.

WOW
WOW
WOW