Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy the Model S Now or Wait 3-4 months?

Buy now or wait a 2-4 months?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a positive note, I ordered my Model X, and before it was delivered they made some running changes, and they were included in my car when delivered.

In addition I have recieved several over the air updates which have kept my car current. They also introduced an uncorking program which increased the performance of the 75 vehicles to a very nice level of additional performance.

There is really no way to game the ordering timing with any certainty.

An interesting thing is that sometimes people wait to order until they see a major update, but then you see some posts from people that do not like the newer update as much as the older one. Hard to win at this. Kind of the luck of the draw.

Also, some updates are released and quickly withdrawn for one reason or another. Saw that recently with the headliner changes on the Model 3. Some are happy that they ordered earlier to get the Ultrasuede headliner.
*75D vehicles, S75 RWD (build dates prior to July 2017) were excluded from the uncorking program.

I was in the same situation. Placed my reservation on the morning of 3/31/16. Spent time looking at model S's to see if any made sense to me. On September 10, 2017, I found a CPO P85 from the Tesla Buena Park used vehicle location. Included was a 4 year, 50,000mile warranty, and unlimited mile warranty on the battery and drive unit until june of 2022. Price was to good, couldn't pass it up. Got my money back for my model 3 res and have now driven 7000 miles of super fast, Model S fun!

Reactions: Galve2000
Title says it all. Can't decide to buy the model S now and get free supercharging and the tax credit or wait a 3-4 months and have a "chance" there might be a interior refresh and loose the free supercharging and tax credit?
It's all about need. If I didn't need one urgently, then I would wait. The current design is old and needs to be refreshed. Longer range is in the offing as is a new interior, and who knows what else. Lots of advances have been made with the Model 3 that need to trickle down to the S. Even the X has nicer bits than the S, which is sorely in need of update.

Anyone who buys now is getting a design that is more than 7 years old. I wouldn't want to drop north of $80k on a 7 year old design.

• Love
Reactions: lorenzo_t
This is no different than "should I buy the stock now or later". Whether the refresh is coming or not, and whether it will be a good thing or not so much (for example AP2 introduction was actually a step backwards as it did absolutely nothing at rollout and now a year and half later is still not on par with AP1) only insiders know this. Life is too short to wait for Elon's new features, especially that some never come at all. If you like the way the car is today, buy it today, if not, wait. And if you buy it and a new features shows up, so what, you liked the car to begin with so there should be no problem. Or, you can of course be paralyzed by FOMO and never buy one.

Reactions: Ken7
Even if you order now, you won't be getting a Model S until March/April (unless you buy an inventory vehicle).
I ordered mine on 1/13 and i expect to take delivery sometime in March.

Perhaps things will change with the car from now until then and they'll be implemented in the vehicle prior to delivery?
Who knows - I don't really understand how Tesla figures which vehicles get feature upgrades and when (as in the new MS now coming with standard air suspension and AWD)

It depends on your current situation. I'd say if you can wait until the end of the year, beginning of next year, do it! Major updates are coming and you may regret your decision. Now if you need it, sure, go ahead and get one now while tax incentives and free supercharging are in place.

I would agree with this. I purchased a model S in 6/17, and love it! But I believe big changes or at least moderate changes are coming this year and it would be a bummer to miss out on those. As for losing supercharging, I wouldn't worry about it unless you do a lot of long distance driving. The included amount of supercharging is sufficient for occasional roadtrips, and they might keep free supercharging anyway just to differentiate from the 3.

I'm with you in general. I really would like a 100+ battery for next winter. I've been holding off, awaiting the refresh - which consensus seems to place for about a year from now.

That said.... I expect that we'll see free supercharging on the S/X forever. This is a perk that people seem to value, way beyond what it actually costs.

Buy it and enjoy it! You can never time it right since no one knows what's coming up until announced by Elon. Even employees get to know a few hours or days in advance. If there are minor updates, they will do that anyways until you take the delivery (most likely by April now). One of the employees told me that if there are any upgrades offered (even paid) during wait time, they contact you and ask you if you want to go for it and the cost for it (if applicable).

I was in the same predicament and could've waited (with paid off cars) but don't want to keep sitting on the sides and waiting for another refresh that soon. I ordered mine few weeks back and should get it by end of March.

Good luck on your decision!

Reactions: Galve2000
I'd wait.

Not for the refresh. If past history is anything to go by, you'll likely be able to get a better deal in the run up to quarter end on a showroom car. (Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec have been the best months to buy a Tesla.)

Here's the only issue with it. Tesla for some reason is the lowest on inventory I've seen for as long as I'm tracking it. Perhaps it was the Dec effect. It's like taking a chance but not a bad one (for March). Can't predict for June and later....

Reactions: smac
I’d get one now. Make sure you like the one you order and decide you will continue to like it no matter what changes in the future cars.

If you cannot do that, you should wait. The trouble is you’ll never be sure something great isn’t right around the corner, so you’ll be in the same position then.

I think the unlimited supercharging is likely to stay as an incentive to buy the higher end S. If you figure that most driving is local, and calculate the actual operator cost savings, as well as the likely cost to Tesla, and the enormous percieved benefit, I just don’t see Tesla eliminating this new S buyer incentive. They get a lot of free press and a lot of brand loyalty for not much cost at all. They’ve done away with the car-lifetime free charging so the next owner of the car pays for supercharging. For me the free supercharging stays with me, not the car, so there is an incentive to buy another Tesla next time around.

I love the free supercharging and my feelings for Tesla are warm and fuzzy The practical side of my brain coldly recognizes that the benefit is much more percieved than actual so it scorns my emotional side. The emotional side doesn’t care. Free travel, what’s better than that. Practically that free trip travel cost me $88,000. Emotionally that money is already gone, so it’s “yippee, I can drive to California free”. I won’t though. But I could. And that is why I feel warm and fuzzy, why it doesn’t cost Tesla much, and why I just don’t see it going away.

David

Reactions: Roderick80
I guarantee you that if you wait 3 or 4 months, you will ask the same question again then. Sure, there might be things you will gain that you will like, but there will also be things you will lose that you would have liked. If you like what the car is now, buy it.

As a Tesla owning friend told me several times, "Just do it." So, after nearly a year of waiting, I did.