Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy the Model S Now or Wait 3-4 months?

Buy now or wait a 2-4 months?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see a model S exterior refresh being needed, it's still a beautiful car and if the same design was released today for the first time it wouldn't look old. However, to those that have followed Tesla since the model S was released it does feel stale.

I don't get the big deal regarding an interior refresh though. The seats/material have already changed multiple times. There isn't much else to the interior, a different door panel design is that important? Not much can be done to the cash without going away from simplicity concept.

Model X is still a new design, not sure why it gets lumped in with Model S (other than interior). Model X feels more advanced with falcon wing doors and auto doors.

We have had our X for 5 weeks, will be happy to drive it for the next 5-10 years regardless of how many changes are done to the new models.

My iPhone 6 is still perfectly fine also.

Well, a Model change can have a huge impact on the interior.
Here is the 2009 Mercedes E-Class:
2009-mercedes-benz-e-class.jpg

And the 2016 Mercedes E-Class
04_Mercedes-Benz-E-Class 2016.jpg

Now you can like the new E-Class, or think it has way too many buttons, but it definitely looks better.

That is the change of about 7 years. The Model S on the other hand didn't change too much. Sure, the seats are a bit different and we have a center console now, but most of the dashboard and the doors is still from 2012.

Now if Tesla were a regular car manufacturer they would have done the seats and new fascia as a mid cycle refresh and would redesign the whole Model S for 2019, which would include the interior.

Now IMO, since the Model X is a 2015 car, I don't think Tesla is too eager to fully change the platform in 2019. So maybe we will get a new interior design before.

The Merc interior is nice in its' own way but I just see needless clutter. It's a continuation of the old "lots of buttons and dials = sophistication" paradigm. I'm a huge fan of the simplicity of the Tesla interior.

That's not to say that they don't need some improvements. They made some silly and/or pragmatic decisions in the design of the S that need to be cleaned up. But... a car interior is a monolithic, integrated thing. I cannot see how they're going to piecemeal it. I expect that we'll see a complete new interior in the next year-ish. And I can't see them wasting money on a bunch of intermediate steps.

• Love
Reactions: IchDochNicht
Well, a Model change can have a huge impact on the interior.
Here is the 2009 Mercedes E-Class:
View attachment 277092
And the 2016 Mercedes E-Class
View attachment 277093

Now you can like the new E-Class, or think it has way too many buttons, but it definitely looks better.

That is the change of about 7 years. The Model S on the other hand didn't change too much. Sure, the seats are a bit different and we have a center console now, but most of the dashboard and the doors is still from 2012.

Now if Tesla were a regular car manufacturer they would have done the seats and new fascia as a mid cycle refresh and would redesign the whole Model S for 2019, which would include the interior.

Now IMO, since the Model X is a 2015 car, I don't think Tesla is too eager to fully change the platform in 2019. So maybe we will get a new interior design before.

My point was it's hard to make major theninterior feel drastically different with Teslas minimalist design concept. I'm not an "anti button" person, though I do prefer the center touch screen for everything.

I keep hearing model X mentioned with model is needing a refresh, I agree the interior needs a refresh I just don't think it's going to be such a big change that any owner of a current X/S is going to feel
Completely left behind. The exterior of the S needs a redo, that is stale I agree. Model X is still fresh and I still don't see many of them around even on my occasional trips to Nay Area.

The exterior of the S needs a redo, that is stale I agree. Model X is still fresh and I still don't see many of them around even on my occasional trips to Nay Area.

The MS exterior was done about 2 years ago and is in the corporate style, personally I think that's the last thing they're going to change other than potentially colours. They've already introduced a few new wheel designs.

I kind of like buttons, but Tesla has done a pretty good job with UI so I don't miss the buttons on a Model S.

Audi has gone the way of very few buttons while still looking very high class / luxurious in the new A7. Take a look, I really like the look. Will wait and see how well this functions.

maxresdefault.jpg

Audi-A7-Sportback-5.jpg

If Tesla added haptic refresh to the screen so got the vibration confirmation, that would be good. To do that they need to upgrade the whole central screen, higher resolution, faster, more contrast, maybe even oled, that would make a difference.

The MS exterior was done about 2 years ago and is in the corporate style, personally I think that's the last thing they're going to change other than potentially colours. They've already introduced a few new wheel designs.

The exterior, I expect, will be changed, but less. I'm still convinced that we'll see dual charge ports. That will mean a larger door, similar to what we see on the 3. And that will require some reworking of the tail. I also hope to see some new paint colors.

Front fascia was a minor change, though it was one i liked because I never liked the nose cone. I'm talking about an entire redesign of exterior even though it could be subtle like the last BMW change with the 3 series. We own one so I'm familiar with the changes, you can see the difference but it's not so drastic that the previous version looks completely out of date.

My point was it's hard to make major theninterior feel drastically different with Teslas minimalist design concept. I'm not an "anti button" person, though I do prefer the center touch screen for everything.

I keep hearing model X mentioned with model is needing a refresh, I agree the interior needs a refresh I just don't think it's going to be such a big change that any owner of a current X/S is going to feel
Completely left behind. The exterior of the S needs a redo, that is stale I agree. Model X is still fresh and I still don't see many of them around even on my occasional trips to Nay Area.

Well, they could integrate the center console better, or change the screen to vertical, like in the 3. Or who knows, that's what interior designers are for. That Audi @zer0cool posted looks good, a bit cluttered, but Tesla could find their own style.

The exterior is harder to do, unless you're ok with small things like the fascia change.

Once they move to a next generation platform they could change more, like more of a cab forward design, as seen in the 3, to give more interior space. Or a lass roof with more headroom in back.

But since the S and X share platforms, the X surely isn't payed off yet and Tesla isn't swimming in cash, I doubt it will happen soon.

Tesla will make changes to the interior of the S and X necessary to join the transportation as a service fleet. So, at least an internal camera and removal of the glove box physical button. But this stuff really has nothing to do with whether the OP ought to wait.

Tesla will make changes to the interior of the S and X necessary to join the transportation as a service fleet. So, at least an internal camera and removal of the glove box physical button. But this stuff really has nothing to do with whether the OP ought to wait.

Am going to wait until first week of May and see what my options are. I need a new car in May so I am deffentily going to buy something and not keep waiting!

Reactions: Brettski
Am going to wait until first week of May and see what my options are. I need a new car in May so I am deffentily going to buy something and not keep waiting!

You may want to make your mind up before The first week of May if you absolutely need a new car in May. It typically takes 2-3 months to build and deliver a new car from California (and if you’re planning on buying an inventory model for 14-day delivery, that kind of defeats the purpose of waiting to see what comes next anyway).

You may want to make your mind up before The first week of May if you absolutely need a new car in May. It typically takes 2-3 months to build and deliver a new car from California (and if you’re planning on buying an inventory model for 14-day delivery, that kind of defeats the purpose of waiting to see what comes next anyway).

Sorry should have worded it better. I don't need a new car by May, but am buying one in May for sure while tradding in my old Toyota Camry.

I kind of like buttons, but Tesla has done a pretty good job with UI so I don't miss the buttons on a Model S.

Audi-A7-Sportback-5.jpg

Being a minimalist Finn, this looks very old to me. What is that huge lump (and that giant screen) doing front of the driver? This has a feeling it was designed by 60+ year old men thinking they are doing something fresh. 80s stereo systems looked like this. Very distracting and not relaxing at all.

This thread reminds me of a saying. Or, well a rhetorical question. When is the best time to release the perfect product? Answer is never.

Looking more and more likely I'll be ordering a 75D soon. Going to look at some next week when they come to town. Just need to sell my current daily.

I currently have one of each: S 75D and 3 LR.

Of course, I love the long range of the 3 - you don't have to worry about running out of juice!

But when I look at the cars, I see distinct differences (in random order):

- S is much, much larger outside. It gets in its way in narrow streets, parking garages, and tight spots.
- S has a hatchback - much better for IKEA runs! ;)
- S feels a lot more upscale inside.
- S door handles are much easier to open. But may not be accessible to emergency responders after an accident, when power fails.
- S has mechanical emergency rear door release - you cannot get out of the back of the 3 when power fails.
- S has more conventional controls. I prefer the manual mirror controls, but like the cruise/AP control integrated with the gear selector.
- S has much better rear view camera. Fish eye in 3 is weird. Hope they can improve via software.
- S has much better display real estate. Not the latest UI, but I prefer the current set-up.
- S is available with AWD. I love the handling, but could live without the noise from the front motor.
- S is available with Sunroof, for those who like it.
- 3 is better made, but still not at Mercedes level.
- 3 has more modern looking dash, but I wish there was a HUD or small display behind the steering wheel.
- The center display on the 3 is not a problem, but important information such as speed and directions are just not as obvious while you drive. Navigation directions are so far off to the left, you can't really read them. All the swiping needs serious getting used-to, but the display is very responsive- 3 has a fascinating ventilation system - works really well.
- 3 has coat hooks, pockets in the backs of the front seats, and a center arm rest in the rear.
- 3 seems to have the better sound system.
- 3 has a nice charging spot for mobile phones in the console.
- Both have very uncomfortable shoulder belts. Even in the lowest setting in the 3, it's too high for me (5'4").
- Both need air suspension to be comfortable.

Bottom line: The 3 is awesome, despite a few quirks (and unfortunately, some safety concerns). But the S still beats it by far - at a significantly higher price. I'd say the 3 is the better value, the S the better car.

• Informative
Reactions: Roderick80 and DIL
I completely agree with the majority here: I think Tesla is the first car company to echo the craze of "major upgrades" akin to a new iPhone. Unlike other car manufacturers, Tesla has kindled that "craze" of obtaining/staying up to date with the latest and greatest tech that we normally just relegate to more conventional technology. However, similar to getting a new iPhone this year, it is inevitable that there will be a new update sooner or later. You will always stay in the loop of trying to catch up/ stay up to date. We can't blame Tesla or any other company for this either: They have to innovate to rejuvenate the customers and the market.

I was stuck in this loop at the end of last year, but decided that this may be the best time to get a Model S at my age (32). I know I will soon be looking into much more important milestones in my life and if I don't get the car now, I won't be getting an S or an X unless I make major strides in my career/life. I did some soul searching and realized that the current "S" has been my dream car and no matter what, I will love this car for the next 5-8 years. I love the look, I love the feel and I absolutely stand by it and do not regret my decision to buy my "Tessie". Enjoy your life while you can. You never know what will change in the future and don't try to chase the latest and greatest. We will always be behind. No matter what, Tesla will always be working on the "next version".

Reactions: Matthew XC