TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Buying CPO, but window tint requires modification agreement

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Skybolt, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Skybolt

Skybolt New Member

I am trying to buy a model S CPO. It has window tint on it and Tesla is saying I have to sign a 'modification' agreement because of the window tint. My attorney says this agreement can potentially void the warranty. Has anyone had this issue?I live in Texas and window tint is a requirement in the 100+ summers.

2. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

If you don't want to sign it, can you get them to remove the tint (since it's not that hard to do) and then put on tint afterwards?

3. LuPapa

LuPapa Member

What does the modification agreement say? I'd wager it just says "not responsible for any issues relating to the aftermarket window tint on vehicle. Will not warranty or repair any issue relating to window tint. Window tint is the sole responsibility of buyer" Otherwise, have them pull it out and then add your own window tint, again that they won't warranty

4. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

It probably also saves them from liability if you get a fix-it ticket due to window tint and then try to put the blame on Tesla.

5. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

Window tint possibly voiding the warranty...:eek: That doesn't make any sense, they don't even remove panels to do it.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I agree with others, if you are iffy about it, you can ask them to remove it and then install your own.

7. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Window tint should not void warranty for anything other than well, issues related to window. I mean if your motor dies, no one is going to say it is not covered because of the window tinting. Ask for the specifics,

8. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

The solution is obvious. Get rid of the attorney.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • Informative x 1
  9. darrelld

darrelld Member

You ever get this resolved? Picking up my CPO at the Dallas SC next week and my NJ originating MS has no tint. I have an appointment to get Huber Optik tint installed the next day due to our 100+ degree summers.

10. vesder21

vesder21 Member

Lol, mine came from Florida and they asked if I would like to keep it. I said yes and did not have to sign anything!

11. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

My CPO came with tint (from Florida, I believe). I asked them to keep it and they did; however, there was this oddity on a small part of the driver's side window. There is a sticker of unknown purpose to me and whoever tinted apparently tinted around this sticker. Odd. My wife tried pulling it off but we would have been left with a small rectangle of no tint.

I'll have to get this fixed and matched to existing tint as close as possible, but it's such a small area and won't be a big deal. It's just weird.

IMG_1561.JPG.jpeg IMG_1562.JPG.jpeg

12. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Looks like an RFID tag. Possibly for parking or community access.

13. ada43952

ada43952 Member

Ohhh, you probably have free parking somewhere, either that or access to a secret military base! Try driving onto various military bases and see what happens! :D

• Funny x 2
  14. Skybolt

Skybolt New Member

I did get this resolved. they sent me an email saying the tint was not covered by warranty, I acknowledged the email, and we went on. the individual I spoke with was the CPO manager for this region. He lives in Houston, and understands window tint is mandatory in this area. He also said he understood why I wouldn't sign the modification agreement for window tint.

BTW, I use the SC at Love Field as well, they are great! Love the car!!