Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA FasTrak Transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a bunch of tries in various positions on the windshield, all of which failed, I tried putting my Fastrak transponder to the rear window glass. Some thread here (can't remember if it's this one or another one) recommended going on the passenger side between some antennae embedded in the glass. This worked at the Bay Bridge toll plaza, but not at the Fastrak reader at the entrance to short-term parking at SFO (International Terminal, "A" side). I suspect that the different geometry of the parking garage entrance is responsible for this problem.

I would have tried the parcel shelf but I happened to be doing a pick-the-relatives-up-at-the-airport run where I needed to get rid of it. More experimentation required, but at least I got some Fastrak-related thing to work.

I installed here. Worked on 91 toll road and 241. No issue.
5b1f0be9db5568097e06853cafad54c4.jpg
b16a503f10e3056152fb0043f5a45d03.jpg
c3f7e819a430df732d0dfb5c5628a361.jpg

The three position ones are brand spanking new so while they'll be the default ones at some point, it's still the default to get one without the three switches. You can call FasTrak and request one of the new ones and they'll acquiesce. That reminds me actually, I need to order a new one for the Volt to get the three switch version... :)

Jeff

The three position ones are brand spanking new so while they'll be the default ones at some point, it's still the default to get one without the three switches. You can call FasTrak and request one of the new ones and they'll acquiesce. That reminds me actually, I need to order a new one for the Volt to get the three switch version... :)

Jeff

They just got them back in stock. I have had some backordered for 6 months and they just arrived.

My FasTrak transponder is/was correctly installed at the top/center of the windshield. However, any time I use the FasTrak lane, my account is charged because the the system cannot read the transponder through the coating which Tesla puts on the windshields. The last time this happened I called Metro Express and they credited my account back. Today, I apparently reached the correct person. She stated that they are aware of this problem for the Tesla and that she was putting my license plate on the "exclusion" list. This means that from now on whenever I use the FasTrak lane the system will still photo my license plate, but then it will not charge me. My license plate is now permanently excluded. I will be removing the transponder now since I see no point to keeping it up there on the windshield. Of course, I still have to pay the $1 monthly fee, but at least I no longer have to worry about the transponder or figure out a work-around.

Interesting. I wonder if the "visible for the purpose of enforcement at all times" is no longer being enforced in CA. The ticket is not cheap!! Neither is going to Court!!

I need to use the FasTrak Flex for the I-580 Express Lane and my windshield completely blocks the transponder.
So it is either the rear window or behind the nose cone...neither is visible or a recognized transponder mounting location.

I can just imagine the look on the traffic officers face when you try to explain... No sir, I don't have a transponder, they just gave me a free pass because I drive this cool car!!

However, Motorcycle driver can have the transponder in their pocket!! obviously not visible...
Then there's Pay-by-Plate that would not require a transponder!!

IMHO, this law is behind the technology and the traffic cop will just need to cope with the electronic surveillance techniques.

---Reference: CA V C Section 23302 Refusal to Pay Tolls - Failure to Pay Tolls

23302. (a) (1) It is unlawful for a driver to fail to pay tolls or other charges on any vehicular crossing or toll highway. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d), it is prima facie evidence of a violation of this section for a person to drive a vehicle onto any vehicular crossing or toll highway without either lawful money of the United States in the driver's immediate possession in an amount sufficient to pay the prescribed tolls or other charges due from that driver or a transponder or other electronic toll payment device associated with a valid Automatic Vehicle Identification account with a balance sufficient to pay those tolls.

(2) Except as specified in paragraph (3), if a transponder or other electronic toll payment device is used to pay tolls or other charges due, the device shall be located in or on the vehicle in a location so as to be visible for the purpose of enforcement at all times when the vehicle is located on the vehicular crossing or toll highway. Where required by the operator of a vehicular crossing or toll highway, this requirement applies even if the operator offers free travel or nontoll accounts to certain classes of users.

(3) If a motorcyclist uses a transponder or other electronic toll payment device to lawfully enter a vehicle crossing or toll highway, the motorcyclist shall use any one of the following methods as long as the transponder or device is able to be read by the toll operator's detection equipment:
(A) Place the transponder or other electronic toll payment device in the motorcyclist's pocket.
(D) Keep the transponder or other electronic toll payment device in the glove or storage compartment of the motorcycle.

(3) Valid vehicle license plates properly attached pursuant to Section 4850.5 or 5200 to the vehicle in which that driver enters onto the vehicular crossing or toll highway.
(e) As used in this article, "pay-by-plate toll payment" means an issuing agency's use of on-road vehicle license plate identification recognition
technology to accept payment of tolls in accordance with policies adopted by the issuing agency.

Last edited:
Wow, that law is extremely stupid. CHP needn't enforce toll roads at all because they are designed to capture the license plate and ticket you if you don't pay. The enforcement is already there. It's just a waste of police time to put an officer beyond the toll gate and ticket folks who drive thru without a transponder.

Wow, that law is extremely stupid. CHP needn't enforce toll roads at all because they are designed to capture the license plate and ticket you if you don't pay. The enforcement is already there. It's just a waste of police time to put an officer beyond the toll gate and ticket folks who drive thru without a transponder.

Unless they have dealer plates on, which some people tend to leave on for a very long time for exactly this purpose. I see quite a few newer volts with the paper dealer plates and the HOV sticker (which you can't get before getting plates).

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 91 express lanes "branded" 3 position switch. I went in person to get it. Basically it doesn't matter when using the 91 express lanes as they add your plate to the list and you will be charged 3+ pricing (usually free) even if the transponder doesn't scan.

The 3 position switch is useful for the other express lanes - although the 15 in san diego shouldn't count since those can be used by carpools without a transponder as well, so you will not be charged if it doesn't scan.

It is unfortunate that portions of the law became obsolete before it is amended or stipulates unnecessary requirements - as the motorcycle now gets a pass; I assume because someone forced the Legislature to think through the actual implementation obstacles (motorcycles are not required to have a windshield, so Now What?).

I understand the paper plate scam, however with a valid plate the CHP can still give you a citation if the transponder is not installed or displayed as instructed by the Express Lane or Bridge toll authority in the windshield or a non-Flex front license plate transponder

I just got off the phone with FasTrak Customer Support and they have no current solution or workaround for the vehicles that can't use the FasTrak-Flex transponder installed as instructed due to the metalized windshield and the list is long!! https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/routers/Vehicles_with_Metal_Oxide_Windshields.html,
However, the CS Rep I discussed the issue with said he would forward my concern to the commission with my Fastrak ID, email and Cell number so lets see if I get a reply.

The I-580 Express Lane and in 2016 the I-680 (Walnut Creek to Dublin) Express Lane will require every vehicle to use a FasTrak transponder or the vehicle will be in violation and since the Express Lane is free for qualifying Clean Air Vehicles I see no reason to subject myself to CHP citations and/or disputing Express Lane usage fees just because their implementation is flawed or the CA Vehicle Code is excessive for vehicles manufactured under the DOT regulations.

Unless they have dealer plates on, which some people tend to leave on for a very long time for exactly this purpose. I see quite a few newer volts with the paper dealer plates and the HOV sticker (which you can't get before getting plates).
That's incorrect. Both Chevy and Toyota dealers receive the HOV stickers from DMV after they have the VIN assignments from the factory. What's interesting is that Tesla does not offer this service (which would be great, since we get a VIN several weeks before the car arrives). Speculation as to why Tesla is different centers on the fact that Tesla doesn't have "dealers."

But I wanted to clear the air that a vehicle with HOV stickers and no license plate may indeed be lawful.

It is unfortunate that portions of the law became obsolete before it is amended or stipulates unnecessary requirements - as the motorcycle now gets a pass; I assume because someone forced the Legislature to think through the actual implementation obstacles (motorcycles are not required to have a windshield, so Now What?).

I understand the paper plate scam, however with a valid plate the CHP can still give you a citation if the transponder is not installed or displayed as instructed by the Express Lane or Bridge toll authority in the windshield or a non-Flex front license plate transponder

I just got off the phone with FasTrak Customer Support and they have no current solution or workaround for the vehicles that can't use the FasTrak-Flex transponder installed as instructed due to the metalized windshield and the list is long!! https://www.bayareafastrak.org/en/routers/Vehicles_with_Metal_Oxide_Windshields.html,
However, the CS Rep I discussed the issue with said he would forward my concern to the commission with my Fastrak ID, email and Cell number so lets see if I get a reply.

The I-580 Express Lane and in 2016 the I-680 (Walnut Creek to Dublin) Express Lane will require every vehicle to use a FasTrak transponder or the vehicle will be in violation and since the Express Lane is free for qualifying Clean Air Vehicles I see no reason to subject myself to CHP citations and/or disputing Express Lane usage fees just because their implementation is flawed or the CA Vehicle Code is excessive for vehicles manufactured under the DOT regulations.

FWIW, I used to use the 'unswitched' external license plate transponder mounted to the bumper bar behind the nose cone. I got the new FasTrak Flex transponder a month ago, switched it to position 3 (the 'permanent' setting for EVs), taped over the switch and speaker hole, and used spray PlastiDip to coat the whole unit. I then Velcroed it to the back side of the nose cone, after removing the old external license plate unit. So far, so good. I do keep a 2nd old 'unswitched' FasTrak interior white transponder in the glove box to have when I get a loaner/rental car.

FWIW, I used to use the 'unswitched' external license plate transponder mounted to the bumper bar behind the nose cone. I got the new FasTrak Flex transponder a month ago, switched it to position 3 (the 'permanent' setting for EVs), taped over the switch and speaker hole, and used spray PlastiDip to coat the whole unit. I then Velcroed it to the back side of the nose cone, after removing the old external license plate unit. So far, so good. I do keep a 2nd old 'unswitched' FasTrak interior white transponder in the glove box to have when I get a loaner/rental car.

Personally, I would prefer to avoid a citation for not having the transponder visible for enforcement, as required by the CVC?
The worst thing is to ignore the law/requirements when a new Express Lane is opened!!

Speeding tickets are my Achilles' heal (too many to count over the last 50 years) and I would prefer not to add citations for the Fastrak Flex transponder, not visible to the CHP!!
If you get my drift, they don't care if you're evading the toll - they just write the citation to assert their authority, as written in the LAW!!
i.e. was your transponder visible? No! guilty!!
Even if you could get the judge to dismiss the citation you are still wasting your time going to traffic court....been there more times than I care to remember!!!

I would prefer to discuss this issue up front in an attempt to rectify the problem since I can't display the Fastrak Flex transponder in the designated location in the windshield and since they don't yet have an external Flex (carpool/clean air vehicle) transponder.

Just an update (and a bump for any new owners who are dealing with this issue): I finally got reasonable performance (worked on 2 out of 2 bridge readers) from mounting a Fastrak Flex transponder on the rear liftgate glass, upper right corner. I had this working briefly during the summer but the Velcro I used back then didn't adhere very well and fell off the glass (I'm now using the "official" Fastrak Velcro strips now). This covers my primary use case, but based on testing, I don't expect this to work in parking garages (e.g. SFO). I can live with that.

Other locations I tried, several of them based on TMC postings: Left, right, and under the rearview mirror on the windshield (supposedly the right side worked once, but I wasn't in the car to see it, otherwise no go). Underside of the parcel shelf, near the center (never worked). Backside of the nosecone (nope). On top of the metal beam behind the nosecone (no joy). Holding it out the window (I saw someone else try this on the San Francisco Bay Bridge, it didn't work for me though and I was afraid I'd drop the transceiver).

This is on a Model S 85D, April 2015 build. There are various iterations on the windshields, so the "normal" mounting positions (particularly to the right of the rearview mirror) have been reported to work for some people.