Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR (Converj)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've obviously never driven the ELR, nor looked at the significant feature additions and equipment upgrades from the Volt. Not to mention the serious styling improvements.

That's not enough to make a great car that sells though. The sales numbers don't lie. Customers have overwhelmingly voted, and it's not for the ELR.

The ELR's problems are not unique to the car itself or to Cadillac. Ask anyone at Acura how the Acura ILX is selling: same platform and powertrain as the USDM Honda Civic, with significant feature and equipment upgrades, and styling improvements.

The Acura ILX has been a flop, much to the anguish of the American Honda, I mean Acura, leadership in Torrance, CA.

You cannot simply tack on new sheet metal, make the interior nicer, throw in tech features, and then expect a sales winner. This is the exact same problem that has plagued Acura for years. The competition (Lexus, BMW, MB) got a whole lot better, while Acura was stuck selling what were essentially dressed-up Honda Accords. Acura's sedan sales have plummeted to record lows in the past 6-7 years.

The ELR may very well be a good car for your needs, but for most people, it has too little utility, and not enough thrill to justify the cost or inconvenience.

I think the main problem with the ELR is the price tag. It's not a problem to make a dressed up Volt, as long as the premium is not too high. I think a lot of people have said if the price was $55k rather than $75k, they would seriously consider it. Given the current price, a lot of people feel it's just price gouging.

Motor Week did a good review on PBS (season 33 episode 35). They loved the styling and got 0-60 in 8.3 seconds. 1/4 mile in 16.5 seconds at 87mph. Said "unfortunately the ELRs dynamic styling promises more driving excitement than it delivers. Yet for normal street driving it's still pleasant enough with the nice and tidy balance to the chassis and good heft to the steering wheel"

I think the main problem with the ELR is the price tag. It's not a problem to make a dressed up Volt, as long as the premium is not too high. I think a lot of people have said if the price was $55k rather than $75k, they would seriously consider it. Given the current price, a lot of people feel it's just price gouging.

However, GM's decision to limit production to a single run would certainly have increased unit costs of design, software development and marketing. With a limited run, it's much better to sell slowly at high margin than quickly at low margin, especially if they're trying to maintain a PHEV premium (and in my opinion pricing premium is why many manufacturers are so keen on PHEV over BEV).

But, with Volt 2 coming, they might only have around 18 months of sales before Volt 2 appears, so they can't wait too long. More sales incentives have appeared:
- $3,000 manufacturer rebate
- $5,000 bonus for the dealer if they get 750 test drive miles on their designated test unit by June 1st

Went to an EV event today where a Cadillac dealership had an ELR on display. I got to sit it in but not drive it. He said the price was $85,000 equipped but I assume that was before the tax credit so can take off $7,500.

It is a nice looking car from the front. The interior has very nice materials and finish. I don't mind the Model S but see how people who are used to S class Mercedes, Cadillac and other luxury brands would want to keep that level of quality and knock the Model S for that reason. That and a few of the other driver assistance features that the Model S will gain in the next year are about where the advantages end. If you haven't seen the back seats there are basically non-existent (think Porsche 911). I'm 6'3" tall and with the seat at the correct position, the person behind be would have literally about 2" of leg room so not even enough for a kid. Someone else who was there was a few inches shorter than 6' tall and with the driver's seat in the correct position for them, they tried to sit behind that seat. They were able to fit but their legs were pressed up against the seat and had no room to move around. Watching them try and get out from behind the driver's seat look more awkward than the Roadster.

Basically, the ELR has enough room for 2 adults and maybe two kids or small adults in back if the driver and front passenger are both shorter and the rear passengers are also shorter. The rear seats must only be there for insurance purposes (so it's not a 2 seater 'sports car' which with a 8.2 seconds 0-60 time I don't think anyone would accuse the ELR of being that anyway). All in all a very nice looking, luxurious car for 2 with I understand good handling but weak performance for the money at least.

it is gorgeous...

Vm6DmSO.jpg

but that price tag.... nope.

They should abandon the back seats, add to the trunk space and maybe fit a larger battery pack in some of that space it give it an EV edge over the volt and get the 0-60 time down to 6 seconds at least. I don't think many families will be buying this for their 'family' car. Sure, some families will be able to use this but certainly not for 4 adults of above average height and a family of 5 is automatically ruled out if the ELR is meant to be their only car which I know it likely wouldn't be. If it's going to be a 2 person car for all practical purposes then might as well use some of that rear space for something useful. For $85,000 that should be expected.

However, GM's decision to limit production to a single run would certainly have increased unit costs of design, software development and marketing.
That's their strategy, but the problem with this price is that they can't even sell their limited run. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to put out lots of incentives in order to sell this and the danger is that it might not even work (in the situation where people have already crossed it off their shopping list because of the high MSRP and don't notice any of the factory incentives afterwards).

Possible ELR-V (or ELR VSport) in the works?

Is Cadillac working on an ELR-V? [w/video] - Autoblog

The article states, "Perhaps the biggest hint that Cadillac is looking at a more potent ELR is the vehicle this car was being tested with – a Tesla Model S. The poster-child for the EV movement is a known performer, so it'd make sense that Cadillac is benchmarking this car against it." Yet none of the spy shots show a Model S, so I guess we'll have to take Autoblog's word for it...

That's their strategy, but the problem with this price is that they can't even sell their limited run. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to put out lots of incentives in order to sell this and the danger is that it might not even work (in the situation where people have already crossed it off their shopping list because of the high MSRP and don't notice any of the factory incentives afterwards).

Depends on the size of the run. They're selling or leasing (proportion, hmm?) around 60 a month right now. End June 2015 that would be 1080. So, "can't sell" depends on how many they made. The big problem with slow is that it's sitting in inventory.

Depends on the size of the run. They're selling or leasing (proportion, hmm?) around 60 a month right now. End June 2015 that would be 1080. So, "can't sell" depends on how many they made. The big problem with slow is that it's sitting in inventory.
3000 annually is what people have worked out to be the official target at GM. It's selling well below that.
http://insideevs.com/cadillac-elr-sales-expected-to-be-around-3000-units-per-year/

It's a race again time too as the second gen Volt is coming out soon.

Thanks for the heads up.
Do you have to sign up for these, or can you just show up?
Beats me. I'd imagine you can just show up.

FWIW, I did go to a Cadillac Culinary Challenge - Santana Row in 2011 which I did signup online for. I think you could've still just dropped in. I don't remember. The page for it was at Cadillac Culinary Challenge Test Drive.

I probably won't go. I went to AltCar Expo a few years ago (but it's in So Cal) before I had a BEV. There were a TON of vehicles to try, including the now defunct Coda.