Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cadillac ELR (Converj)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is that the ELR is a fantastic car, but GM has no clue how to sell it. Perhaps Cadillac thought it would sell just on looks alone? No idea. But one thing's for sure: the only voices anyone has heard since the price was announced last year were (i) Volt owners upset that their dream car was out of their price range, (ii) BEV owners predictably bemoaning the ELR's gas generator, (iii) Tesla owners laughing at the ELR's accleration, and (iv) unimpressed car reviewers who were expecting the ELR to go at least a little faster and a little farther than the Volt. There hasn't been any push-back by Cadillac to spin the car positively, and the only advertising I've seen is a spot that makes ELR owners looks like a$$holes as Cadillac $hits on the rest of the world.

For a potential customer who prefers the Volt technology but wants a luxury car, the ELR is it. There's nothing else. So how is it possible that Cadillac is unable to sell it to them? People will cough up money for things they want, even when they're overpriced (see any Nike shoe or Starbucks coffee!) But not if these potential customers (i) haven't heard about the product, (ii) aren't embarrassed to own the product, and (iii) aren't saturated with negative opinions about the product without any positive reinforcement from the company.

Those of us with an ELR know its value. Too bad Cadillac doesn't have a clue about what that is!

then Reuss says he doesn't care if people think the ELR is too expensive, then Ellinghaus says 'tree huggers' don't buy expensive cars.

Wow, these guys have no clue who their target market is. People who are so wealthy that they wouldn't care if the car is good value for the money probably aren't buying Cadillac. Tesla has sold a lot of expensive cars to "tree huggers".

My point is that the ELR is a fantastic car, but GM has no clue how to sell it. Perhaps Cadillac thought it would sell just on looks alone? No idea. But one thing's for sure: the only voices anyone has heard since the price was announced last year were (i) Volt owners upset that their dream car was out of their price range, (ii) BEV owners predictably bemoaning the ELR's gas generator, (iii) Tesla owners laughing at the ELR's accleration, and (iv) unimpressed car reviewers who were expecting the ELR to go at least a little faster and a little farther than the Volt. There hasn't been any push-back by Cadillac to spin the car positively, and the only advertising I've seen is a spot that makes ELR owners looks like a$$holes as Cadillac $hits on the rest of the world.

For a potential customer who prefers the Volt technology but wants a luxury car, the ELR is it. There's nothing else. So how is it possible that Cadillac is unable to sell it to them? People will cough up money for things they want, even when they're overpriced (see any Nike shoe or Starbucks coffee!) But not if these potential customers (i) haven't heard about the product, (ii) aren't embarrassed to own the product, and (iii) aren't saturated with negative opinions about the product without any positive reinforcement from the company.

Those of us with an ELR know its value. Too bad Cadillac doesn't have a clue about what that is!

Well, GM doesn't advertise the Volt much either and the ELR's a much harder sell, with a luxury premium way higher than anything else on the market. I can only assume GM thought "limited edition" would sell it. I think they would have been better going for higher volume and lower price, Lexus Prius (CT200h) or Lincoln Fusion (MKZ) style.

A bit of a tangent, I know, but that's probably why I'll likely never buy a GM product. They seem to be just clueless in general. The large American manufacturers in general seem to be. They're all too afraid to make something different and really shake things up. I at least have some respect for Ford because of the drastic measures they took to cut back expenses and save their company without the government's help, but they still don't make anything I really care about. As an American, I really want to see the manufacturers do well, but they consistently show an aversion to truly innovate. Maybe someday I can buy another GM or Ford product (Chrysler isn't really American anymore), but that day isn't today, not while they act the way they have been in recent years. Jay Leno had a good quote, when talking about the 1963 Chrysler Turbine car when he said, "Most of all, the Chrysler Turbine is a reminder that all the cool stuff used to be made in the U.S. I hope it will be again."

I agree Ford seems to know what they are doing but they did get $5 billion from the ATVM loan. While not a 'bailout' it was a large cash infusion.

Their only hope is to lower the price to $60,000 maybe and stop insulting their customers. I'm sure it's a really nice car but by being insulting towards Tesla customer they are likely pushing sales Tesla's way since they have received almost universal positive press on the Model S.

My point is that the ELR is a fantastic car, but GM has no clue how to sell it. People will cough up money for things they want, even when they're overpriced (see any Nike shoe or Starbucks coffee!) But not if these potential customers (i) haven't heard about the product, (ii) aren't embarrassed to own the product, and (iii) aren't saturated with negative opinions about the product without any positive reinforcement from the company.

I would bet that there aren't many people that spend that much on vehicles who also don't browse online prior to buying one. The older generation who are not online, and can afford the ELR, are definitely not going to try something new. The rest of the people who want futuristic technology are buying Teslas. The ELR fits in an extremely small market segment.

- - - Updated - - -

Their only hope is to lower the price to $60,000 maybe and stop insulting their customers. I'm sure it's a really nice car but by being insulting towards Tesla customer they are likely pushing sales Tesla's way since they have received almost universal positive press on the Model S.

I don't think that would help. Hypothetically, if Tesla had gone head to head with a flying electric car company(Jetsla), for close to the same money, Tesla wouldn't sell many cars either. The problem the ELR has, is the technology leap from a regular ICE is small. For the Model S, the technology leap is huge in comparison, which coupled with a similar price leads to the results we have.

That's why I don't think they can sell it at basically the same starting price of the 60 kWh Model S and expect to do well. At least at $55-60k it would be much more affordable than the Model S and be a big upgrade to the Volt in terms of interior at least. The way it is now you're not getting much value for the money.

...and a lot to people who don't really care either... which I think is Elon's strategy. If you just market to the "tree huggers" you will forever be limited to that slice of the market.

Agreed. When I bought my Roadster Dan Myggen told me, "Some people don't care that it's a sports car; they buy it because it's the only highway capable electric car available... others love the performance and don't care if it burns baby seals to do it."

Of course there are a lot more options today!

I stopped by the Cincinnati Tesla store over lunch today, and what do you know, but Cadillac had an ELR on display essentially right in front of the Tesla store. It is a good looking car in person, and seems to have an excellent fit and finish. I would not go so far as to say it is worth the price increase over its sister the Volt, or that I am able to come up with a compelling reason to buy an ELR over a Model S, but after seeing one in person, I will give the GM design team credit for a job well done. Of course, the Model S less than 100 feet away was receiving much more attention than the ELR :)

The real problem with the ELR is the tiny tiny backseat. I've been in Porsche 911's with more rear seat room.

I regularly have my 5'4" wife and 5'7" friend as passengers in the ELR's backseat without complaints. They love the bucket seats and legroom, and tell me it's very comfortable. However, because of the rear window glass angle, I doubt anyone over 5"7' would be happy back there (which is why my wife is in the back, because my 6'2" cousin needs to sit in front).

That does seem to limit the appeal even more if the rear seats aren't comfortable to over half of men and a little less than half of women in the US at least. This really seems to be more of a coupe in the 911 fashion with 2 front seats that are comfortable with smallish rear seats of limited usefulness. Obviously if everyone who would possibly sit back there fits then it is a non-issue.

I remember the same "limited appeal" argument being made about the Tesla Roadster (since it didn't even have back seats), but that car sold with no problem due to the exclusivity and 100% EV credentials. The people who want an ELR will buy it; those who don't won't. I'd much rather have customers overspend on the ELR than get "the right deal" on a Porsche 911 since the ELR fouls up the planet significantly less (unless you've got an electric Porsche 911, of course).

I remember the same "limited appeal" argument being made about the Tesla Roadster (since it didn't even have back seats), but that car sold with no problem due to the exclusivity and 100% EV credentials. The people who want an ELR will buy it; those who don't won't. I'd much rather have customers overspend on the ELR than get "the right deal" on a Porsche 911 since the ELR fouls up the planet significantly less (unless you've got an electric Porsche 911, of course).

To be fair, the Roadster sold less than originally estimated, and even then, not in any significant volumes. Heck, they had the "final editions" on the market for a while.