Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California bans small gas engines including gas generators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for all you folks that think this is great, question. What are all the fire fighters in california that use gas powered chain saws going to do when fighter fires. Yea, they are going to haul around tons of extra batteries. Yes, they can find power out in the middle of no where to recharge. Lets see what, if ANY, honest answers happen

So for all you folks that think this is great, question. What are all the fire fighters in california that use gas powered chain saws going to do when fighter fires. Yea, they are going to haul around tons of extra batteries. Yes, they can find power out in the middle of no where to recharge. Lets see what, if ANY, honest answers happen

You don't need 'tons of batteries'. You need two. They recharge faster than they're used. Keep one at the truck and use one. Not complicated. Seems like refilling a flammable liquid when there are embers about is probably a terrible idea anyway.

And here's the equipment layout of a smoke jumper. I don't think a chainsaw is as critical as you seem to think it is. The Pulaski for making fire lines is probably FAR more useful.

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.43.43 PM.png

AND.... maybe fewer fools fuel powered chainsaws will also mean slightly fewer fires :)

Last edited:
You don't need 'tons of batteries'. You need two. They recharge faster than they're used. Keep one at the truck and use one. Not complicated. Seems like refilling a flammable liquid when there are embers about is probably a terrible idea anyway.

And here's the equipment layout of a smoke jumper. I don't think a chainsaw is as critical as you seem to think it is. The Pulaski for making fire lines is probably FAR more useful.

View attachment 723699
One nice thing about our EGO lawn equipment is that the batteries are interchangeable. We can swap the 2.5 Ah, 5 Ah, 7.5 Ah or 10 Ah batteries into any piece of equipment. So while the chainsaw only came with a 5 Ah battery, we can swap to the 10 Ah battery from the mower in a matter of seconds. For us, the run time on the largest Ah batteries is longer than what it takes to recharge them with the rapid charger. We've cut down several trees with our EGO chainsaw and the battery usually lasted longer than we did.

The First Thing We Do, Let’s Kill All the Leaf Blowers Opinion | The First Thing We Do, Let’s Kill All the Leaf Blowers
Lots of good points in there. As a personal peeve, the stench and chemical irritation is literally breathtaking several houses away. And the things are so loud they wake you up even in a reasonably well insulated house when trying to sleep on days (when working nights).

But what is really heartbreaking is knowing the workers’ lungs may not outlast the rest of their bodies. Imagine breathing that stuff 5-6 days a week, hours a day, for many years. Don’t know if there are any studies on yard workers. Would bet their pulmonary health is markedly compromised after a couple decades of such work or sooner.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
I'm totally off of gas and have all electric cars and yard equipment and rooftop solar as well. The options for yard equipment still aren't the best.

Electric chainsaws are available, but I'm guessing the battery options suck (because, why wouldn't they? chainsaws require a lot of power in a small package, and there is no Tesla for yard equipment), and the corded versions (like I have) have limited reach and require high amp extension cords.

Riding mower options are limited and could be better. I have a Ryobi 480EX and it has plenty of battery capacity, but it's not as powerful as it should be; it will bog down in mulch mode with moderate height grass (the battery is not the problem here, it's the underpowered electric motors for the mower blades). There aren't many other brand options for electric riding mowers.

Plenty of weed eater options. They are fine, but you usually need multiple batteries to get through all the weed eating, and charger options could be better (a single wall mountable charger capable of simultaneously charging multiple batteries is what I'd like to see more of).

For leaf blowers, it doesn't really matter to me, because leaf blowers are the devils work and if I somehow end up with one I immediately call my priest over to send it back to hell.

I don't think there should be bans on gas engines yet. A better option might be to begin requiring some limited amount of emissions control on them; nothing draconian, just enough to make it where manufacturers have to at least think about ways to make them burn cleaner (and operating more quietly would be nice too).

Reactions: MontyFloyd
I'm totally off of gas and have all electric cars and yard equipment and rooftop solar as well. The options for yard equipment still aren't the best.

Electric chainsaws are available, but I'm guessing the battery options suck (because, why wouldn't they? chainsaws require a lot of power in a small package, and there is no Tesla for yard equipment), and the corded versions (like I have) have limited reach and require high amp extension cords.

Riding mower options are limited and could be better. I have a Ryobi 480EX and it has plenty of battery capacity, but it's not as powerful as it should be; it will bog down in mulch mode with moderate height grass (the battery is not the problem here, it's the underpowered electric motors for the mower blades). There aren't many other brand options for electric riding mowers.

Plenty of weed eater options. They are fine, but you usually need multiple batteries to get through all the weed eating, and charger options could be better (a single wall mountable charger capable of simultaneously charging multiple batteries is what I'd like to see more of).

For leaf blowers, it doesn't really matter to me, because leaf blowers are the devils work and if I somehow end up with one I immediately call my priest over to send it back to hell.

I don't think there should be bans on gas engines yet. A better option might be to begin requiring some limited amount of emissions control on them; nothing draconian, just enough to make it where manufacturers have to at least think about ways to make them burn cleaner (and operating more quietly would be nice too).
I have several battery powered chain saws (small and large). They work great. Much easier than dealing with a balky, smelly, noisy two cycle gas engine. I've cut down a lot of trees with them.
Also have battery powered weed trimmer, leaf blower, and even a snow blower. Very happy with all of them.
(Of course, several battery electric bikes, too.)

I have several battery powered chain saws (small and large). They work great. Much easier than dealing with a balky, smelly, noisy two cycle gas engine. I've cut down a lot of trees with them.
Also have battery powered weed trimmer, leaf blower, and even a snow blower. Very happy with all of them.
(Of course, several battery electric bikes, too.)
Not only that, but you can swap a the battery on a chainsaw faster than you could fill one with gas. Also, if you can fully charge a second battery before the first one needs to be recharged. Since our mower, trimmer, leaf blower and chainsaw all use the same format battery (but different capacities), we can easily swap between them.

Reactions: nwdiver
Not only that, but you can swap a the battery on a chainsaw faster than you could fill one with gas. Also, if you can fully charge a second battery before the first one needs to be recharged. Since our mower, trimmer, leaf blower and chainsaw all use the same format battery (but different capacities), we can easily swap between them.
Yes, my snow blower, leaf blower and one of my chain saws all take the same battery. Easy to keep a spare charged.
Trimmer uses same battery as Ryobi power tools.

Yes, my snow blower, leaf blower and one of my chain saws all take the same battery. Easy to keep a spare charged.
Trimmer uses same battery as Ryobi power tools.

2-stage electric snow blowers still pricey, but not too bad.
A colleague just got through winter with one. Not much snow this year. The one heavy snowfall (18"-2') he had to charge between runs.

Reactions: mspohr
Brilliant. Create policies where you can't supply enough electricity to your state's residents and then forbid them to purchase generators to help them deal with the inevitable blackouts.
Brilliant. Plan ahead. Buy your own solar panels and a battery pack or three and charge your car at night. Since we've been forewarned, we have time to save and shop for a system we can use. We might not be able to meet ALL our needs, but the grid can still supply the excess needs. You know that solar panels last for decades, right? Rather than complain, let's get started on moving into the future. A lot of people are still using wood fireplaces to "heat the house during winter" when...
Brilliant. Create policies where you can't supply enough electricity to your state's residents and then forbid them to purchase generators to help them deal with the inevitable blackouts.
...when burning wood only supplies TEN percent of its heat to the house while the other NINETY percent goes up the chimney, along with all the pollution. People need to be educated. We don't need wood fires for their ambience or their heat. We DEFINITELY don't need wood fires for their pollution. Where I live, every bit of a cold snap makes the air stink with wood smoke. Thankfully I can live inside and leave the windows closed.

Reactions: h2ofun and mspohr
Brilliant. Plan ahead. Buy your own solar panels and a battery pack or three and charge your car at night. Since we've been forewarned, we have time to save and shop for a system we can use. We might not be able to meet ALL our needs, but the grid can still supply the excess needs. You know that solar panels last for decades, right? Rather than complain, let's get started on moving into the future. A lot of people are still using wood fireplaces to "heat the house during winter" when...

...when burning wood only supplies TEN percent of its heat to the house while the other NINETY percent goes up the chimney, along with all the pollution. People need to be educated. We don't need wood fires for their ambience or their heat. We DEFINITELY don't need wood fires for their pollution. Where I live, every bit of a cold snap makes the air stink with wood smoke. Thankfully I can live inside and leave the windows closed.
I'm not sure why BAAQMD hasn't just banned wood burning. Although technically a carbon neutral fuel, it produces a lot of pollution in the wrong places.

Also, targeting generators with this law is just stupid. I have a gas generator but so long as the power stays on, the generator stays off. So if they don't want me to run the generator, all they have to do is keep the power from going out.

Reactions: cali8484 and dipper
I'm not sure why BAAQMD hasn't just banned wood burning. Although technically a carbon neutral fuel, it produces a lot of pollution in the wrong places.

Also, targeting generators with this law is just stupid. I have a gas generator but so long as the power stays on, the generator stays off. So if they don't want me to run the generator, all they have to do is keep the power from going out.

There are EPA approved wood stoves. I guess instead of an outright ban they could have just made portable gas generators prohibitively expensive (and less portable) by requiring a 4-stroke engine and a catalytic converter...

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 1.42.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MontyFloyd