Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California Clean Vehicle Rebate Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like there's less than $1 million left, now, and the application rate has increased in the last week. (There's been over $100,000 in applications every day last week.) So this week will probably be the last full week before it runs out, assuming there isn't additional funding.

So I'm picking up my MS on Saturday, and just signed my life away on the purchase agreement and wired over a big chunk of change.

Can I fill out the CVRP application now? Does that reserve me part of the pool of money? It appears that I have 14 calendar days to pony up all the required paperwork, so assuming that, I could apply today, get the $2500 saved, and then send the paperwork in early next week, and still be within the 14 calendar day period. Or am I missing something here?

Edit: NM, looks like I just need to learn how to read. Money is reserved once the application is approved. But now it's flaking out on a purchase date in the future. Hmmm, looks like I have to wait till Saturday.

Last edited:
So I'm picking up my MS on Saturday, and just signed my life away on the purchase agreement and wired over a big chunk of change.

Can I fill out the CVRP application now? Does that reserve me part of the pool of money? It appears that I have 14 calendar days to pony up all the required paperwork, so assuming that, I could apply today, get the $2500 saved, and then send the paperwork in early next week, and still be within the 14 calendar day period. Or am I missing something here?

Edit: NM, looks like I just need to learn how to read. Money is reserved once the application is approved. But now it's flaking out on a purchase date in the future. Hmmm, looks like I have to wait till Saturday.

Actually, after waiting and putting the date I picked up the car on the form, once I got to submitting all the paperwork I realized everything I'm submitting about the car has the final MVPA date on it (including the temp registration). I think that's really the date I should have put.

Good news for those waiting in the queue! I tossed an email to the California Center for Sustainable Energy about the near-term depletion of CVRP funds and got the following reply:

Thank you for your question! While current CVRP funding is limited, we are anticipating between $4-9.5 million of additional funds in the near future, which should extend the available funding for several months. Once total funds are depleted, CVRP staff would begin a wait list of applicants whose funds would be reserved until the program is funded in the next fiscal year (approximately July).

Good news for those waiting in the queue! I tossed an email to the California Center for Sustainable Energy about the near-term depletion of CVRP funds and got the following reply:
Thank you for your question! While current CVRP funding is limited, we are anticipating between $4-9.5 million of additional funds in the near future, which should extend the available funding for several months. Once total funds are depleted, CVRP staff would begin a wait list of applicants whose funds would be reserved until the program is funded in the next fiscal year (approximately July).

That's really good to hear. It's clear that the current funds will be depleted before my car arrives in April.

Yikes. I've had my car for almost a month now, and had not gotten to this paperwork. Just started it today.

Thanks to the forum reminder by just seeing this thread!

Just in time! It looks like the current funding will run out this weekend. Be sure to apply online, which puts you in the queue immediately.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm hoping that the waiting list they referred to will deal with any gaps. Time will tell.

Not sure how else a waitlist would work, so good news for anyone who applies during the funding gap.

Last edited:
Being a 40 kWh reservation holder and given the most recent delay in delivery dates I'm getting concerned. Do folks here really think CVRP funds will be available in the May/June timeframe? If not, I'm wondering if switching to the 60 kWh can better ensure that I will get the rebate. Looking for advice. I drive less than 15 miles round trip per weekday but every other month or so I will drive about 100 miles in a day.

It looks like they just added more funds. Here is what I saw on the CVRP website just now:
CVRP Remaining Funds (FY 2012-2013) $ 10,368,908

Being a 40 kWh reservation holder and given the most recent delay in delivery dates I'm getting concerned. Do folks here really think CVRP funds will be available in the May/June timeframe? If not, I'm wondering if switching to the 60 kWh can better ensure that I will get the rebate. Looking for advice. I drive less than 15 miles round trip per weekday but every other month or so I will drive about 100 miles in a day.

The funds were just replenished (and have been replenished multiple times). Are you worried the program will end without notice? Or?

I have not been following the politics of this. Given State and Federal financial problems I do expect these programs will not get renewed at some point.

How does replenishment work? Does the legeslature need to vote on it and then the Gov needs to sign?

If there is any concern at all it may affect my decision to get the 60 kWh battery. Particularly since it might take some time for the 40 to even be added to the list of elegible vehicles. Better to have the 60 and $2500 than not to get the rebate at all.

I called and talked to the folks at the California Center for Sustainable Energy and they believe there is sufficient funding through “late summer.” They also said that a waiting list will be created once funding is depleted because further funding is expected. There is no legislature action required. The money is allocated from the California Energy Commission or the California Air Resource board.

I applied, got an e-mail with a form to sign, signed the form, and mailed it back along with all required documents via USPS Certified Mail. The envelope was delivered a few days ago. Today, I logged in to check on the status and it says, "Overdue". I haven't checked it before, so I don't know what it said before and don't know what it should say... Anyone else know the procedure and timeframe? When should I follow-up?

I applied, got an e-mail with a form to sign, signed the form, and mailed it back along with all required documents via USPS Certified Mail. The envelope was delivered a few days ago. Today, I logged in to check on the status and it says, "Overdue". I haven't checked it before, so I don't know what it said before and don't know what it should say... Anyone else know the procedure and timeframe? When should I follow-up?

You should receive an email notifying you that the application was approved and the check in the process of disbursement. They indicate up to 60 days for the check to arrive. No worries though, because the money is now earmarked for you once you are approved.