Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California DMV complaint over Tesla Autopilot/FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One month difference might be a moot point but a journalist needs to be accurate.
Ha ha “journalist”. !

This guy - Russ Mitchell - is classic presstitute. He writes exaggerated hit pieces on Tesla bordering on outright lying. He is speculating what he desperately wants to happen - DMV to ban Tesla. In that same article there is also a clear articulation of what is likely to happen - force Tesla to reword their description and capabilities of AP and FSD.

This guy and Lora Kolodny are the king and queen of journalist scumbags with no ethics.

Many people think that when they paid for FSD, they paid for specific hardware like 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, radar, cameras...

On the other hand, when I paid for FSD, I paid for the function. I don't care what the hardware is: radar or radarless, I want it to do its autosteer at 90 MPH and not 85 MPH. If it takes different hardware by removing the radar or adding the LIDAR, do it and get me the function.

It's just like when there was only black and white TV, and someone would sell me one that would become color someday; I don't care how they do it: with upgraded software, vacuum tubes or transistors, or computer chips, just do it as long as it's no longer black and white.
I’m not exactly sure how it used to be sold and marketed, but the impression I was under based on what Tesla said (not Elon nor other people) when I bought the car was this:

The inclusion of the hardware had nothing to do with whether I bought FSD or not. The hardware to support the FSD suite of software (current and anticipated) came with the car and was included in that price.

FSD is a suite of software that has a number of currently available features and one anticipated feature called “autosteer on city streets.”

Some of the features are currently in beta.

None of that indicates anything to me that Tesla would do anything to upgrade the hardware in my car to support some future version of any of the FSD features.

If there was advertising or marketing saying otherwise, I haven’t seen it. I want to be wrong about this, but I suspect the early adopters getting the “and all future hardware necessary for FSD” option (which I think was spelled out to them) has probably been incorrectly assumed to apply to all future cars. Not only that, considering how much trouble it is for the few of them to get upgraded hardware for the current version of FSD, I don’t see Tesla doing that on a massive scale for the many of us with the current gen hardware.

From what I’ve heard from Elon, FSD will be better than a human driver. I’m waiting for the day when Elon adds in “the average human driver” which I’m sure will upset everyone (I want it to be a better driver than me). I think he’ll use this as his reason to call it done, and then he’ll start working on FSDv2 with the high res radar, hw4, and additional cameras at the front of the vehicle.

Ha ha “journalist”. !

This guy - Russ Mitchell - is classic presstitute. He writes exaggerated hit pieces on Tesla bordering on outright lying. He is speculating what he desperately wants to happen - DMV to ban Tesla. In that same article there is also a clear articulation of what is likely to happen - force Tesla to reword their description and capabilities of AP and FSD.

This guy and Lora Kolodny are the king and queen of journalist scumbags with no ethics.
Suspending or revoking the sales license would surely be the last step if Tesla refuses to remedy this through the other listed means and whatever else the DMV may deem necessary — the other big part of that would be what sounds like reimbursement for people who believe they were deceived.

I don’t think it would be just the descriptions either, the very names of the systems are problematic. Does Tesla redo all of this stuff for the entire world because of this? Do they spin off some special subset just for California? Although this might set a broader precedent either way.

Reactions: 2101Guy and Tam
For making false statements/claims about FSD.

The DMV complaints point to the very names of the technologies, as well as other “misleading” language such as the following, which appears on the Tesla’s website Autopilot page:

“All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, your car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigating urban streets, complex intersections and freeways.”

The remedies proposed by the DMV if it prevails could be severe, including revocation of the company’s licenses to make or sell its cars in California.
Sabre rattling.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Ha ha “journalist”. !

Exactly .. its like the FDA and FTC .. if you make a false claim about a drug or food they make you change the claim ..not ban the product. Just gutter reporting as usual.

Last edited:
Any level 2 data showing crash results between the different manufacturers on a per car or per mile driven basis?
The NHTSA tried to get that data, but it was so badly reported that it was almost useless. First the sample size was small, second a lot of makers relied on reporting by owners (only Tesla tracks via telematics), so there was an issue with under-reporting and biased reporting. Finally there was confusion about how often the AP system were being used, or at all (owners will blame the car if they think they can get away with it).

They should ban all AUTOmobiles for having a misleading name. Ban pickup trucks too since they don't actually pick anything up.
There are times that lies, inaccuracies would bring in lots of money like Alex Jones who kept repeating false conspiracies about shooting victims and he got rich for many years.

Stop the steal fund got $250 million...

The article is obsolete in the claim:

"the company doesn’t share those data with the public."

That was true prior to June last year but since then, we can get it from NHTSA. You can download the data which shows the majority of crashes and fatalities are from Tesla. GM Super Cruise has 2 minor crashes with no fatality.

1659725066864-png.837147

Also, it is confused with AP and EAP:

"Autopilot, a less expensive feature that combines automatic cruise control with automatic steering and automatic lane changes,"
To be meaningful, the data needs to be normalized. EG, crashes per 100K miles. Otherwise, the entity with the most cars the highest number

probably already posted..although...

Yep. The masses are finally seeing what many of us have seen for awhile as it relates to Elon's truthfulness re: FSD related claims...
The next few months should prove interesting, especially when we factor in his most recent predictions about what will occur with FSD by 12/31/2022..

Reactions: RSpanner