Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California waiting room Q4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t believe you guys who ordered in November are getting vins and picking up cars... I ordered oct 5 and when I ordered it said 3 to 7 weeks. Definitely losing my patience with Tesla.
Dude imagine all the people who got a vin the same hour they ordered. Wtf tesla it is not like there is that much customization, like 3 things, the cars are not very unique... so why not hook up someone waiting!

Hi...reading this is frustrating. I ordered on Tuesday last week Dec 8... was matched to a VIN the next morning. I expected to have to wait 3-6 weeks, so I figured this was an earlier reject car. Picked it up this evening- some fairly minor fit/finish issues- paint good though so I accepted it. Turns out it was built a week ago VIN 895xx. Fresh as daisies!

Seems like no rhyme or reason to their distribution strategy. Got free year SC too!

Hi...reading this is frustrating. I ordered on Tuesday last week Dec 8... was matched to a VIN the next morning. I expected to have to wait 3-6 weeks, so I figured this was an earlier reject car. Picked it up this evening- some fairly minor fit/finish issues- paint good though so I accepted it. Turns out it was built a week ago VIN 895xx. Fresh as daisies!

Seems like no rhyme or reason to their distribution strategy. Got free year SC too!

Hey congrats on your new MY!

I know my next comments won't be popular but...

...as frustrating as it may be, it's part of the journey with Tesla I suppose. Consider that in the US alone (sorry, I know you're in Canada but I didn't have any data off hand from my prior research) EVs were about 2.2% of the market (though of that 2.2%, Tesla has a 80% market share) in 2018. While I expect the number is higher than 2.2% now, it's still well under what most automakers have on the market. In fact I think I read somewhere that Tesla recalls about the same number of vehicles that some brands recall in a year. This indicates it's still a relatively small but growing company in the automobile market.

Add in a huge global demand like this, I think delays are probably likely.

What gets me more concerned is cutting corners on a vehicle in order to meet that demand that could imperil the riders and really set the company back years.

Reactions: Mitchoacan
I just got my vin this morning and a request to schedule a delivery date. I’m picking her up this Friday afternoon in Costa Mesa. Vin 86YYY: LR/19”/ Blue/Black seats/Tow Hitch.

I was surprised I got the match this soon after I got the message yesterday of delivery between 12/13 - 12/31. It will be interesting to see how many folks get matched up this week as we are getting to the end of the quarter/year.

FYI - I put my deposit down last June when a sales person at the Newport Beach store told me I needed to do this if I wanted a car by end of the year since there were already so many reservations. My current cars lease wasn’t up till end of December so that seemed it would work. I got a text within a week or so asking if I wanted a car by the end of June. I replied I didn’t want one till December.

On December 2 I got a text from Tesla asking if I was ready to take delivery of the car in December? Replied yes, within an hour got a text from a real person who said my reservation would get a vehicle as soon as possible. December 13 got the message in my Tesla account to prepare for deliver from 12/13 - 12/31. On December 14 received a text that my Y was moving to Costa Mesa and to click on the link to schedule my delivery date. I checked my tesla Account and there was the vin. Scheduled delivery for Friday! If anyone else is picking up in CM Friday afternoon come by and say Hi. I’ll be the one with the checklist in hand going over the blue one.

Reactions: Mitchoacan

First of all, congrats!

Secondly, where are you located and what specs did you get?

On December 2 I got a text from Tesla asking if I was ready to take delivery of the car in December? Replied yes, within an hour got a text from a real person who said my reservation would get a vehicle as soon as possible. December 13 got the message in my Tesla account to prepare for deliver from 12/13 - 12/31. On December 14 received a text that my Y was moving to Costa Mesa and to click on the link to schedule my delivery date. I checked my tesla Account and there was the vin. Scheduled delivery for Friday! If anyone else is picking up in CM Friday afternoon come by and say Hi. I’ll be the one with the checklist in hand going over the blue one.

Congrats! Very exciting. Where did you find a checklist or would you be able to share it? My delivery estimate went from Dec 13-Dec 31st to "We will reach out to you" with no date. Hopefully it's ready soon.

I’m on the wait list as well, new member here just going to post a data point. Ordered 11/03 MY Performance upgrade, White/Black interior no other add-ons. Gave me the delivery expected in 5-9 weeks when I ordered. Have had the same texts as everyone else has mentioned. It’s now updating daily with an estimated delivery date of 12/14 - 12/31. Tomorrow it will probably say 12-15...and so on. Location is Orange County, CA

Hi All, I've been lurking on this forum for a while and finally joined. Thanks to all for contributing, you've been very informative! I too have been VERY anxious to take delivery of a White LR, Black Interior, Gemini Wheels at the factory in Fremont (no other options added). My order date was 11/16. I just spoke to a very informative SA who looked up what he called the soft match date for my VIN. He stated that Dec 20 was the soft match date for my VIN and delivery should happen within 1-2 days of that date. I am assuming this mean that the VIN will show up on my manage account page on or around Dec 20.
I did ask if they were busy delivering cars in Dublin, where he is located. He said "not really", but that next week they were expecting over 100 deliveries. It sounds like the big push to deliver in the Bay Area is on next week. How exciting!

I’m on the wait list as well, new member here just going to post a data point. Ordered 11/03 MY Performance upgrade, White/Black interior no other add-ons. Gave me the delivery expected in 5-9 weeks when I ordered. Have had the same texts as everyone else has mentioned. It’s now updating daily with an estimated delivery date of 12/14 - 12/31. Tomorrow it will probably say 12-15...and so on. Location is Orange County, CA

Similar boat for me. Ordered 11/7 MYP/MSM/Black/No FSD/No Tow
Date just shifts each day. No VIN yet.

Hi All, I've been lurking on this forum for a while and finally joined. Thanks to all for contributing, you've been very informative! I too have been VERY anxious to take delivery of a White LR, Black Interior, Gemini Wheels at the factory in Fremont (no other options added). My order date was 11/16. I just spoke to a very informative SA who looked up what he called the soft match date for my VIN. He stated that Dec 20 was the soft match date for my VIN and delivery should happen within 1-2 days of that date. I am assuming this mean that the VIN will show up on my manage account page on or around Dec 20.
I did ask if they were busy delivering cars in Dublin, where he is located. He said "not really", but that next week they were expecting over 100 deliveries. It sounds like the big push to deliver in the Bay Area is on next week. How exciting!

I emailed my SA. No helpful info. Just states that if they "find a match" they'll reach out.
Makes it sound like I entered the lottery instead of placing an order for a car to be built per my order.

Similar boat for me. Ordered 11/7 MYP/MSM/Black/No FSD/No Tow
Date just shifts each day. No VIN yet.

I emailed my SA. No helpful info. Just states that if they "find a match" they'll reach out.
Makes it sound like I entered the lottery instead of placing an order for a car to be built per my order.

Ordered 11/6 LR MSM Nothing else special. Pretty basic. And was told the same thing by SA (Chris) in Dublin. Gave very vague info and did not really answer my questions regarding vin and delivery.

Like all companies, Tesla has to have data to show for it's growing business which means increasing Production and Deliveries values. The goal is to produce as many vehicles as they can and to deliver as many as they can of those produced vehicles.

It seems we're at that stage where Tesla is squeezing out the last few vehicles that can be shipped out to the Eastern, Central and Mountain regions and maybe a couple Alaska and Hawaii-Aleutians if there are enough vehicles and means of transportation available. I think Tesla expects about a week to two weeks for a load of cars to travel from Fremont to the various Service Centers across the east coast, Hawaii & Alaska.

Calendar-wise if we work backwards from there, the focus on production should be coming closer and closer to the west coast, meaning the window of opportunity for CA deliveries keeps getting bigger.

It's important for Tesla to make as many vehicles and deliveries as possible so hopefully we can expect a large number of VINs starting later this week.

Also, since Tesla will be closing down the S & X lines starting X-Mas Eve, we should finally be able to see a fairly good picture on how many 3s and Ys Tesla can really manufacture in a week. There were some indications that Tesla Fremont alone produces around 5,000 - 8,000 vehicles a week (up to 10,000) for all vehicles and they say about 11% of those are S and X lines.

If we do a little math that's roughly between 4,500-9,000 vehicles a week - that's 4,500-9,000 VINs for M3s and MYs collectively (i rounded my numbers simplicity's sake)

For us here waiting for MYs, consider that the Model Y is only being sold in the US, Canada and Mexico and you'll see that your prospects of getting a VIN real soon is pretty good.

I'm another lurker and now waiting for a White LR, black interior, 19" gemini, no hitch. I ordered in July, then deferred in August and October. At the end of November, I notified my SA that I was ready. My SA says I should expect delivery by end of year. Before Saturday, I had a blank delivery window. Since then it chances daily: 12/XX to 12/31.