Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I Please Get Basic Cruise Control Enabled on my New Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why the delivery managers fail to mention this delay is troublesome. We called Tesla after receiving our MS and they indicated that the adaptive cruise control and auto-steer would be enable once calibration was completed. This process they said would take approximately 200 miles of driving. Ok, great. We connected to our home Wi-Fi that evening and the next day we had the options available. Definitely less than 200 miles driven, but over 50 at the time. Not certain connecting to Wi-Fi made a difference in this regard. It does continue to surprise me that Tesla staff knows very little about their vehicles, even though there's only 2 different vehicles that they currently would have to study.

I picked up my MS on 3/18. TACC worked within 10 miles of leaving the delivery center, and it still works at all speeds I have tried - at least to 80 MPH. Now, Autosteer worked by the second day, but it only works under 55mph on the freeway so it is not too often I can use it. Something is wrong with SoCalMS' car.

I think your car must have special powers...

I have version 17.9.3 and Tesla support just confirmed TODAY everything that I just stated...

My car (to them) seems to be the norm...

I think your car must have special powers...

I have version 17.9.3 and Tesla support just confirmed TODAY everything that I just stated...

My car (to them) seems to be the norm...

You have not responded what happens when you pull back the control stalk. You also have t responded to the feature set on your car.

The delivery person was very clear to me how it worked, when it would work, and how to activate it. And it does work.

Perhaps you have a terminology difference when talking to support?

Auto-steer is very limited. I'm super happy with TACC - traffic aware cruise control.

Cruise control worked perfectly fine in the 2017 loaner I got... All the way up to 80MPH. Didn't have TACC or AP enabled in that car for some bizarre reason (It was left out of the feature list in the software on the car), but regular cruise worked perfectly fine for me.

I had the same thing. Picked up my new MS 70D 4 weeks ago. TACC and CC did work, until the first night I got an update. Then autopilot showed up and it needed to calibrate. Tesla told me it would take around 500 miles or so to calibrate. After that still nothing, also no normal CC. I went to the service point and they calibrated my radar manually. After that it all worked great.
so: I think you need to call and make an appointment. You will be so happy after it. Seems to be a regular issue.

I had the same thing. Picked up my new MS 70D 4 weeks ago. TACC and CC did work, until the first night I got an update. Then autopilot showed up and it needed to calibrate. Tesla told me it would take around 500 miles or so to calibrate. After that still nothing, also no normal CC. I went to the service point and they calibrated my radar manually. After that it all worked great.
so: I think you need to call and make an appointment. You will be so happy after it. Seems to be a regular issue.
Sorry, my 75D that is.

I have shooting pains after an hour of driving without CC, any sarcasm about this isn't welcome
I sometimes get sunburnt through the glass and I find that alcantara trim sometimes gives me a terrible itch. Worse still, sometimes I find the airconditioing bitterly cold, and find the act of pressing the button on the screen both tiresome and physically taxing.

SocalMS, you are not alone. I too have the same issue.

We got our MS at the end of December - had normal cruise. Even took the car up to Wisconsin to visit my brother.
Got the "Shadow Knows" software update and still had normal cruise.
All other updates, the car likes to display "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" and we get nothing.
I have taken the car to the SvC and they have told me that it just needs a new software update.
The car currently has 3.5k miles on the odometer. I would drive it more, but the LEAF is more efficient for short distances.

There has only been three instances where the MS allowed TACC and Autosteer, but those were always on days where there were no clouds in the sky.

We have a cross-country trip coming up this April. I'll wait for the next update, but I doubt that will do anything to where it will be useful for me. I am considering having EAP turned off by the SvC for the drive and then have them turn it back on when we get back.

I have shooting pains after an hour of driving without CC, any sarcasm about this isn't welcome

Yeah, I agree with this. While it's trivial for a lot of people to drive without CC for long periods of time, for some of us it can become incredibly painful. It's not that a lot of effort is required, but some of us have nerves that start screaming after keeping the muscles tense to hold our foot in exactly the same place for hours on end.

Is it a problem around town? No, because there's movement and activity involved in that. It's when you get on a flat interstate across Texas for 4 hours straight that it starts to suck, and frankly, in a car this expensive, that isn't something that should be expected or required.

With that being said, I won't demand everyone stop making fun of the idea, but being adults would be appreciated. :)

Reactions: OBX John
SocalMS, you are not alone. I too have the same issue.

We got our MS at the end of December - had normal cruise. Even took the car up to Wisconsin to visit my brother.
Got the "Shadow Knows" software update and still had normal cruise.
All other updates, the car likes to display "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" and we get nothing.
I have taken the car to the SvC and they have told me that it just needs a new software update.
The car currently has 3.5k miles on the odometer. I would drive it more, but the LEAF is more efficient for short distances.

There has only been three instances where the MS allowed TACC and Autosteer, but those were always on days where there were no clouds in the sky.

We have a cross-country trip coming up this April. I'll wait for the next update, but I doubt that will do anything to where it will be useful for me. I am considering having EAP turned off by the SvC for the drive and then have them turn it back on when we get back.

Someone else had this issue (Dramsey on Tesla official forum). Tesla replaced their supercomputer and it worked.

There is a lot of reading comprehension problems in this thread.

OP says "STANDARD cruise doesn't work"
People respond "TACC works!"
People respond "You're wrong, we know better, TACC works!"

Reactions: wesley888
There is a lot of reading comprehension problems in this thread.

People respond "TACC works!"
People respond "You're wrong, we know better, TACC works!"
OP also claimed standard cruise control only worked up to 55 mph but I know it worked up to 80 mph in December. My standard cruise control was upgraded to TACC so I can't test it anymore.

We're still waiting for the OP to reply concerning what features he ordered on his car and what exactly happens when he pulls the stalk back once. If he didn't buy EAP, then maybe he would have standard cruise control. If he bought EAP then TACC should work once the calibration has finished.

Have had my car for 3 days net of time getting xpel. . . TACC calibrated within 50 miles and can go up to 80. Autosteer calibrated in fewer than 75 miles and is capped at 55. 17.9.3.

Sounds like OP needs to stop by SC and get it checked out. If I recall Elon suggested that some cars may need intervention on calibration for AP2. He / she might be one of those.

Incidentally, I just commuted to the office in Chicago for first time from north burbs today- about 25 miles. After entering traffic about 6 miles into drive, I literally only steered twice, 1) into the express lanes at the 90/94 junction, and then 2) onto the Ohio St Feeder. . .I took over at Ohio and LaSalle and made the two turns into my garage. I was amazed by autosteer and TACC. Did not need pedals and just remained on "standby" for steering the entire time except when prompted to hold wheel. I was amazed.

The irony is hilarious- it's by far the most dynamic and fun driving experience, but it's also advanced enough to do the bulk of the work for you. No bad options.

M

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
OP also claimed standard cruise control only worked up to 55 mph but I know it worked up to 80 mph in December. My standard cruise control was upgraded to TACC so I can't test it anymore.

We're still waiting for the OP to reply concerning what features he ordered on his car and what exactly happens when he pulls the stalk back once. If he didn't buy EAP, then maybe he would have standard cruise control. If he bought EAP then TACC should work once the calibration has finished.

If the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" is on then nothing or the Red Exclamation that also shows on the 17" display.

Is the calibration done if Autosteer works? How about if Autosteer worked the day before and then it goes back to "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" the day after and never comes back on again until the sun is shining with no cloud cover?

Standard cruise is not active if you bought EAP. As others mentioned, standard cruise is entirely eliminated in fw builds where EAP is present. OP claimed to have EAP and yet wants standard cruise. They are incompatible.

OP's story is fishy and inconsistent at best.
We bought EAP. I would like it disabled and get standard cruise especially since the current iteration of EAP is buggy on our MS. Yes, I already went to the Service Center and they said to wait for the next update.

A single picture of the instrument panel with the car moving at above 30 MPH would answer most of our questions.

Not really safe unless a passenger does it for you.

OP probably just wants the same thing I want - normal cruise control for long drives.
At the very least, Tesla should give us the option to have normal cruise control and just keep it in "Shadow Mode" to help with data collection. How hard can that be? They already did it.

As I mentioned yesterday, I called the service center and they CONFIRMED that bassic cruise control STILL doesn't work.

So what's the point of scheduling an appointment to get something that doesn't work yet, fixed.

I believe auto steer/drive (whatever it's called) works up to about 55mph, but standard "normal" your "run of the mill", cruise control does not work at all on my brand new vehicle.

cruise not availalable.jpg

As I mentioned yesterday, I called the service center and they CONFIRMED that bassic cruise control STILL doesn't work.
I think we all agree there is no basic cruise control. We aren't doubting that. But if you have EAP, then TACC should work. TACC is like basic cruise control only better (still, be safe keep watching the road ready to intervene). If TACC doesn't work, then the service center should be addressing that problem.

Yes, you could ask for basic cruise control as an option. I can see that as a benefit in case all else fails. I just don't see that happening as there is too much of a risk that someone will assume it is in TACC mode when basic is actually engaged.