Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I swap HV packs between my cars with the subscription version of Toolbox?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This auto salvage yard deals with mostly (if not all Tesla's). He owns over 80 tesla's of different models and years. He has great reviews and now I personally know why. Weather you are looking for a HV battery or a odd end part they will have you covered! Its not too often that you find a good honest company like Donut Auto Parts!

This auto salvage yard deals with mostly (if not all Tesla's). He owns over 80 tesla's of different models and years. He has great reviews and now I personally know why. Weather you are looking for a HV battery or a odd end part they will have you covered! Its not too often that you find a good honest company like Donut Auto Parts!
Good to hear ur feedback.
I actually bought a Front drive unit mount for the X from them (right back one) that nobody else had it..
But i think they're a bit on high price end in general for all the parts i've searched.

OK, so the BMSmia means that the data connector(s) to the pack aren’t fully mated. the big clue here is that both the Charge Port (CP) and Charger (CHG) are both MIA as well and they are both downstream on the CAN Bus from the BMS. so good news, your just missing the CAn Bus connection. unfortunately, you’ll need to drop the pack and grab some duster/keyboard cleaner and some contact cleaner and really have a go at the data connectors (car side and pack side). also get on top of the subframe and clean it off - dirt and crap are always falling off of it and in the connectors. clean the HV connectors while you’re at it (make sure there’s no voltage on the car side!!)

then as you’re lifting/dropping the pack give the connectors a firm, but not hard, jiggle as they are mating. bolt up the side rails, solid ratchet tight, but not fully torqued.

boot up the car - first responder first, then 12V. contactors should click, then about 60 seconds later they’ll drop. that’s OK.

you’ll have a few errors, usually 4 - unable to drive, unable to charge, no 12V support and BMS version.

run the firmware update - either from Toolbox or the Service Plus menu - once it’s run, you should be set.

torque everything back up - go through the entire checklist in the Tesla service guide step by step

Will this work if changing out an 85 kwh for an 90 kwh?
No toolbox needed, just redeploy FW?

Will this work if changing out an 85 kwh for an 90 kwh?
No toolbox needed, just redeploy FW?
I'm pretty sure upgrades on packs are a lot more involved. I've been looking forever on how to upgrade my 60 to an 85 but TTB does not like upgrades and will only succeed with like to like replacements. I hope TTB will be able to succeed with pack upgrades in the future. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the only way to upgrade packs right now is to root your car and change battery config.

upgrades are totally doable. upgrade or not, Toolbox is needed for the firmware redeploy from the Gateway. (unless you happen to be lucky enough that a software update is available or in-queue at the time of the swap)

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
upgrades are totally doable. upgrade or not, Toolbox is needed for the firmware redeploy from the Gateway. (unless you happen to be lucky enough that a software update is available or in-queue at the time of the swap)
wait, so your saying all I would need to do to get my car form a 60 to an 85 is a ota software update after swapping packs? Is all toolbox used for in upgrades firmware redeploys?

no, slight different and will clarify any confusion. the statement was that Toolbox is needed to kick-off firmware updates/service redeploys, amongst other activities.

now, an in-queue software update *might* do the trick, and has on occasion done the job on a pack swap when Toolbox servers have been down and unable to establish communication with the vehicle Gateway, but not specific to a pack upgrade. or certainly, no guarantee that an OTA update that happened to be in queue at the time would to the job for an upgrade.

suspect we’re probably getting a bit too inside baseball for forum readers, and several different permutations/use cases involved, feel free to PM us if needed.

Last edited:
The "Redeploy-Firmware" function is actually available in the Servicemeny, unless they removed this recently.
I did this when changing the onboard-charger, and when upgrading the chargeport from GEN 1.0 to GEN 1.5 (European with motor open/close).

The reason why I am asking this is because I have access to an brand new 90 KWH battery, and considering putting it in my P85.

before you swap the battery and do firmware reinstall, you need to change configuration of the car. Otherwise there will be a config mismatch error. This is something that you won’t be able to do without help form Tesla or someone with advanced experience in Tesla “hacking”

Reactions: offpist
no, slight different and will clarify any confusion. the statement was that Toolbox is needed to kick-off firmware updates/service redeploys, amongst other activities.

now, an in-queue software update *might* do the trick, and has on occasion done the job on a pack swap when Toolbox servers have been down and unable to establish communication with the vehicle Gateway, but not specific to a pack upgrade. or certainly, no guarantee that an OTA update that happened to be in queue at the time would to the job for an upgrade.

suspect we’re probably getting a bit too inside baseball for forum readers, and several different permutations/use cases involved, feel free to PM us if needed.
so there's a chance that an ota update will change config of the car post pack installation in an upgrade scenario?

no it won’t/shouldn’t. perhaps we got off track here. we were saying that Toolbox is needed

the sidebar comment causing the confusion (our bad) was that simply that an OTA firmware update that happens to be queued up at the time of the swap *may* pair the pack and eliminate the BMS version mismatch. it’s NOT an upgrade solution/path.

EDIT: while working on car today we checked in on the base Service mode - as we don’t use that mode regularly - and sure enough, as @offpist noted above, more recent versions (on both MCU1 and MCU2) do have a firmware installation feature in Service mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffreyHowell
I have asked around to find the best solution.
And what I have found is that rooting the MCU/Tegra board is the best approach.

There will probably not be much updates available for the MCU1 in the years to come and my car is 10 years ago.
Might as well gain full control of the car for diagnostics.

I want to do the 90 kwh retrofit and also heated steering wheel.

Reactions: brainhouston
I have asked around to find the best solution.
And what I have found is that rooting the MCU/Tegra board is the best approach.

There will probably not be much updates available for the MCU1 in the years to come and my car is 10 years ago.
Might as well gain full control of the car for diagnostics.

I want to do the 90 kwh retrofit and also heated steering wheel.
You can downgrade to 2022.8.10.5 via cid updater and then get factory mode where you can use gwxfer script via diag fakra to change config for pack id & heated wheel :)

Was checking the service manual for battery replacement and found this for MCU2. A lot of the procedure is just from the service + menu, but have not found the info about the config change in case of a different pack. Wondering if this will take care of that

Attachments

• IMG_5128.jpg
    IMG_5128.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_5130.jpg
    IMG_5130.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5131.jpg
    IMG_5131.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5132.jpg
    IMG_5132.jpg