Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Model S P85D Ludicrous upgrade to the 100 kWh packs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received information from the local service center that the upgrade from a P85DL to a P100DL is possible, but costs 50600 euros (yes - fifty thousand six hundred euros, so over 55000 USD)!!! You first have to upgrade to a P90DL for 27500 euros and after that the cost to upgrade to a P100DL is 23100 euros.

So the official EU price to upgrade a P90DL to a P100DL is 23100 euros (+/- something depending on local VAT).

I seriously doubt that that's real. What are they going to do? Install the brand new P90DL pack, then turn around, remove it and recycle it? I think he's giving you a slightly ludicrous (bad over-used pun :p) answer on how it COULD be done right now. Right now there's an authorized upgrade P85D -> P90DL. And another P90DL -> P100DL.

I'm sure, as the packs get to be more available, they'll open up the P85DL -> P100DL direct path, likely for the same price as P90DL.

Last edited:
Reactions: CSFTN
Interestingly, my Ludicrous upgrade receipt clearly states that I received a "P90D Ludicrous upgrade." I have been curious since if that's a data entry error, an oversight, or if they only made 1 kind of upgrade (which would make the most sense). ow I have to also be curious if it matters in my ability to upgrade to a P100D.
Not that I'm sure I'm ready to spend another $20K on this car.

Typo I'm sure. It would not make sense. The P90DL upgrade is an entire pack - which probably costs them $15k-ish to make. The P85DL upgrade is just a contactor/fuse - which probably costs them $1000 to make/buy.

I received information from the local service center that the upgrade from a P85DL to a P100DL is possible, but costs 50600 euros (yes - fifty thousand six hundred euros, so over 55000 USD)!!! You first have to upgrade to a P90DL for 27500 euros and after that the cost to upgrade to a P100DL is 23100 euros.

So the official EU price to upgrade a P90DL to a P100DL is 23100 euros (+/- something depending on local VAT).

Not true. One upgrade. One battery.

As a P85DL owner I would love it if it could be done, but I doubt it's possible. I'm sure Tesla's upgraded a lot of MS hardware items between the 3/2015 manufacture date of my car and now. My fear is that the car's handling the increased current, power and torque may depend on some of those items, which my P85DL doesn't have: for example, today's inverters may be specced for higher current.

Separately, I was doing a little testing of my P85DL while running errands earlier today and concluded that my attempting any maneuver in traffic in an upgraded P100D which could not also be executed in a P85DL would probably result in either a jail sentence or a pile of mangled metal. Thus the P85DL will suffice.

Range is nice, more is better, BUT for me....I want that extra oomph/power. I am totally OK with my P85DL performance yet....want more. It is simply that I am an "acceleration addict." OK, I said it and it is now in the open. 2.5 seconds 0-60 is SO MUCH better than 2.8 seconds. Heck 2.2 seconds would be even nicer, but I cannot afford a Porsche 918 (and fortunately none are on sale, so I don't have to be frustrated).

I really want "maximum plaid." Bring it on, Elon!

what's a "problematic SC" ?

Ones that are known to not give full power output or ones that have know local supercharging issues where non-courteous tesla owners treating the supercharging station slots as a parking lot.

Burbank and fountain valley are known to have non-courteous owners. I don't have personal experience at San Juan Capistrano but I also hear it is a problem there. Mountain view and san Mateo also have local charging problem. Finally san Diego also have local charging but it is less extent for now, but it has max output power issues for quite a while now. I just switch slots and it alleviates the problem but then it begins again. Read the thread on san Diego Superchargers.

And before you say I am local charging keep in mind I was testing the charging stations to report on the forum after I arrive near empty from a road trip late at night.

Actually it is true. LegalCounsel is right. I have an email from the local Tesla workshop. An 85 upgrade to 100 will not be available, but a 90 upgrade is available. if one wants to upgrade to 100, it is first necessary to upgrade to 90. Hence the price , 50600 euros.

Perhaps in Europe. My service center says otherwise. I think this is a simple miscommunication. There is no point in speculating until Tesla releases more info and these are actually scheduled and being performed at service centers. Any dual motor performance model s is capable :)

The cost of these kinds of things always seems to fall into an area where just selling your existing car and buying the new model becomes more attractive. You either start looking at stuff you might also get with the new car (i.e. AP 2.0, premium seats, new nose, etc.) to justify the expenditure or you start shopping for inventory or other used options to close the $$$ gap.

Reactions: ICUDoc