Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Model S P85D Ludicrous upgrade to the 100 kWh packs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard anything about upgrading a P85D to even just 90kWh?
I inquired about this to the mothership and they're now saying that's not even possible anymore..

I'm going by what Elon said which is that you can upgrade to the 90 but that he'd wait until a larger battery was available before upgrading the 85 as the 90 isn't really enough to justify the difference unless you REALLY need that little bit extra range.

So isn't the 100 a much larger jump than the 90?

Has anyone heard anything about upgrading a P85D to even just 90kWh?
I inquired about this to the mothership and they're now saying that's not even possible anymore..

Being probably one of the "Few" people who didn't get their P85D Ludicroused. Im thinking that since the 85 was cancelled and soon the 90 I would say Tesla wouldn't try to even attempt this. They probably want everyone to upgrade to a 100D or P100D anyways! To get more sales out of the 100.

Will be interesting to see how this evolves. If the P100D is really nothing more than a P90D with a bigger battery, and a P90D is nothing more than a P85D with a bigger battery, then an upgrade P85D => P100D should be trivial, other than the cost. But, we have pretty strong suggestions that in fact the cars are very different; at the very least the chemistry is different, the ludicrous circuit breaker and other circuitry may be different too. I'm not sure if we know that inherent in the design of the P100D battery pack is the new cooling system. If in fact the higher capability circuitry and the 100 kWh in the P100D battery pack can't be separated (reasonably) from the new cooling design, then I suspect we are 'stuck' at our 85 limit no matter Elon said 14 months ago.

I am tempted regularly to upgrade but realistically speaking that would cost a lot for a little; my car is barely 20 months old. Really, should wait until at least its 3rd birthday before trading it in. Now, if the offered a promotion to get us out of unlimited Supercharging, like gave us an extra $2000 in turn-in cash to get out of our unlimited SuC cars and in to limited SuC cars .... Thats not a bad end of q2 promotion ...

Will be interesting to see how this evolves. If the P100D is really nothing more than a P90D with a bigger battery, and a P90D is nothing more than a P85D with a bigger battery, then an upgrade P85D => P100D should be trivial, other than the cost. But, we have pretty strong suggestions that in fact the cars are very different; at the very least the chemistry is different, the ludicrous circuit breaker and other circuitry may be different too. I'm not sure if we know that inherent in the design of the P100D battery pack is the new cooling system. If in fact the higher capability circuitry and the 100 kWh in the P100D battery pack can't be separated (reasonably) from the new cooling design, then I suspect we are 'stuck' at our 85 limit no matter Elon said 14 months ago.

But all of that is part of the battery including the new cooling design and the fuses. The P85D's motors and inverters are rated at 763 hp combined at the motor shafts which even the P100D hasn't come close yet to achieving(about 680 hp at the motor shafts).

Perhaps they've improved the motors but if Tesla hasn't lied, then even the P85D's DUs should easily handle the 576 KW that the 100 battery can put out.

I got a firm NO, for my P85D at least. Cannot upgrade just the battery, either to 90 or 100 kWh. Must "upgrade" the whole car!

@wk057 are you offering battery upgrades yet? :D
Even if he does you will probably be banned from the supercharger. So I am not sure if it is really worth it to give up supercharger access critical for long distance travel.

If wk057 can guarantee supercharger access then I might be incline to pay for the upgrade. But I doubt he can guarantee that for you guys.