Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In western news: At the test drive event in Victoria last weekend, I was chatting with a Tesla employee of some standing out here, and they told me that they are working hard to accelerate the western TC-1 roll-out from Vancouver to Calgary and Edmonton. They feel that this is a very critical strategic move and are lobbying corporate to go, go, go!

Guess what I saw this morning? A midsize city truck traveling along hwy 401 westbound just past Cambridge ON. And what was on this truck you might ask. There were 2 supercharger stalls and a huge white transformer. The bottom half was wrapped with the cardboard and the bottom was sticking out. I wish I could take a picture. I was in the left lane and passed it too quickly. I wonder where this truck was heading!
sounds like one of the "mobile superchargers" one is being installed in Bethesda, Maryland. Did it look like this wolfpet (pic courtesy of DCinDC)
newsupercharger.jpg

Guess what I saw this morning? A midsize city truck traveling along hwy 401 westbound just past Cambridge ON. And what was on this truck you might ask. There were 2 supercharger stalls and a huge white transformer. The bottom half was wrapped with the cardboard and the bottom was sticking out. I wish I could take a picture. I was in the left lane and passed it too quickly. I wonder where this truck was heading!
Maybe your handle should change to 'Eagle_Eye'! Great news.... !

wow what are the chances haha, nice find!!

Now for a silly question, what is the difference between a regular supercharger and a mobile supercharger?

The mobile superchargers are mounted on steel bases with fork lift holes, with all the equipment attached, so all the construction that has to be done is lifting off a truck and hooking up the power supply. The regular superchargers require lots of digging to set up, which I would guess is not possible in Canada right now. Likely, they wanted to get some superchargers setup in Canada, but wouldn't be able to do the construction for a regular location for a while.

In western news: At the test drive event in Victoria last weekend, I was chatting with a Tesla employee of some standing out here, and they told me that they are working hard to accelerate the western TC-1 roll-out from Vancouver to Calgary and Edmonton. They feel that this is a very critical strategic move and are lobbying corporate to go, go, go!

This would be great! I have a wedding in Calgary to go to in July and am planning on driving from Vancouver with my wife and 5 year old son. We've been planning the route and it shouldn't be too bad but superchargers would sure help a lot. Maybe we'll get more info tomorrow night at the owner's event here in Vancouver.

This is from the Tesla Motors forum: Rumored supercharger locations | Forums | Tesla Motors

I just left the Tesla store in Toronto, and a supercharger station is being built in Kingston right now.

I've heard independent confirmation from another source, so this appears to be credible.

This is fantastic news!!!

I have a trip coming up to Suffern, NY in April. It might just be possible to do this via the Kingston and "coming soon" Albany NY Superchargers. If they're built in time. The leg from Kingston to Albany would be pushing the range, though.

I might have delay my May trip back to Edmonton from Palm Springs , although construction does take some time , so I wouldn't expect anything until the fall of 2014

The regular superchargers require lots of digging to set up, which I would guess is not possible in Canada right now. Likely, they wanted to get some superchargers setup in Canada, but wouldn't be able to do the construction for a regular location for a while.

I don't see why it would be any more difficult working in Canada than it would be in northern US states like Wisconsin or Michigan. The ground isn't more frozen here. I don't even know if it is frozen in BC (where most of the Superchargers are going).

Canada just isn't on Tesla's immediate radar (ie: not part of any major routes they want to complete), so they don't want to spend the extra money to work in freezing conditions (ie: for tents and heaters)

- - - Updated - - -

I might have delay my May trip back to Edmonton from Palm Springs , although construction does take some time , so I wouldn't expect anything until the fall of 2014

Construction won't be the issue; it only takes a couple weeks to build a Supercharger. The problem will be bureaucracy (permits, zoning, etc). That's what has severely delayed some sites in the US and our system isn't any better than theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.