Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't connect M3 to Octopus Intelligent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very much the same issues recently.
I advised octopus, explaining the problem.
They were OK with me removing the car, with no risk of losing the 7.5p tariff.

I removed the app and set up the car, a month later.

For people that have newly signed up to Intelligent Octopus and are having trouble linking the Tesla app to the Octopus app to perform a test charge. The problem appears to be with Android phones only. I have a workaround, but you'll need an iPhone.

I've just called Octopus and explained how i did it, so they can pass it on to other struggling users. The issue is with the Android operating system, or the API that connects the two apps. I went and borrowed my neighbours iPhone, logged in to the Tesla and Octopus apps on it, and low and behold, they linked straight away! I performed the test charge and was immediately put straight on to the IO tariff. Then, i logged back into both apps on my own Android phone and everything on was miraculously working. I even tested an overnight scheduled charge on the Octopus app on my Android phone last night and it worked perfectly.

I have asked Octopus to update me when their developers find a bug fix, as it would be nice to keep the Tesla community informed of this which i'm more than happy to do.

As I believe that its the Octopus servers that talk to the Tesla servers/car and not the phone (otherwise you could not control your car if your phone was off or out of wifi range), it seems odd that this seems to be phone specific.

For people that have newly signed up to Intelligent Octopus and are having trouble linking the Tesla app to the Octopus app to perform a test charge. The problem appears to be with Android phones only. I have a workaround, but you'll need an iPhone.

I've just called Octopus and explained how i did it, so they can pass it on to other struggling users. The issue is with the Android operating system, or the API that connects the two apps. I went and borrowed my neighbours iPhone, logged in to the Tesla and Octopus apps on it, and low and behold, they linked straight away! I performed the test charge and was immediately put straight on to the IO tariff. Then, i logged back into both apps on my own Android phone and everything on was miraculously working. I even tested an overnight scheduled charge on the Octopus app on my Android phone last night and it worked perfectly.

I have asked Octopus to update me when their developers find a bug fix, as it would be nice to keep the Tesla community informed of this which i'm more than happy to do.
Thanks for sharing, I'm having the exact same issue as others have posted using my Android phone. Will borrow an iPhone later today to see if that resolves it.

Thanks for sharing, I'm having the exact same issue as others have posted using my Android phone. Will borrow an iPhone later today to see if that resolves it.

I had the exact same problem and solved it by logging into to the octopus app through my sister's iPhone. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Coinneach Cìr

Yeah confirm this is indeed yet another case of 'crapdroid', I mean buggy Android.

Worked immediateley on iPhone.

Like a complete tool and trusting my past experience, I removed my device, as IO was interfering with my solar charging of the car.
Yep, I should have simply un-ticked the box.
We are an android only house...
It's not a train crash but the option of using the IO charging experience would be nice.

Perhaps its manifest isn’t targeting Android 13 yet:

Screenshot_20230711-160104_Google Play Store.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Dangerous Fish