Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't find a suitable CPO. Will you sell me your trade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a CPO Model S. I needed to sell my 2005 911 first, so I put it up for sale on Thursday. Surprisingly, it's sold in less than 48 hours.

Now I have the cash to buy a Tesla, but there are no CPO's available in my budget (~$50K).

If you are about to trade in your Model S, perhaps I could buy it from you and pay you a couple grand more than Tesla. I live in Seattle and travel up and down the West Coast and Texas often. So ideally a Californian, Oregonian, British Columbian, or Texan car would work best for me.

I am open to all configurations of the Model S. The most important option to me is air suspension, but it is not a dealbreaker if the car does not have it.

Thank you for your help

OP might be unfamiliar with Tesla's approach to sales. They don't haggle like dealerships do; it's more like buying an iPad at the Apple store. GoTslaGo's suggestion seems pretty good. Finance with $50k down on a new car. You'll have better build quality, autopilot, and you'll get the $7,500 tax credit. If you're in a rush to get a car, you might want to ask about their demo cars. They tend to sell them with a bit of a discount and they still qualify for the tax credit.

I found that buying a demo was a great deal. I bought a 2014 P85 about a year ago. It had 11K miles, but I got it for 20% off original price. It was one of the demos released in November, so it doesn't have autopilot or AWD, but I have been happy. Since I was first to register it, I also get the Federal tax credit.

Mike

Ah well despite the misleading thread title, my trade is supposed to happen tomorrow. I've PM'd you my phone number. I'll be in Seattle tomorrow evening and Wednesday. With the exchange rate you can easily match my trade in. I don't have air suspension I'm afraid.

Fer cryin' out loud people, lighten up. You knew full well what the OP meant. There's very little selection of CPO's since the "Great Purge"

My advice, if you can't find a used one, is wait a bit. I suspect more options will show up (both CPO and Inventory) in the next week or two, as there's a push to move cars before the end of the quarter. Mid-term, I expect CPO's to become more readily available once the loaner fleet is rebuilt with CPO's. Longer term, CPO inventory will rise as X shipments pick up steam.

Long story short - IMHO, limited CPO's is a temporary re-shuffling. Be patient.

My 2013 P85+ was also an "demonstrator / executive car" according to the DMV disclosure. But everything I have read indicates you CANNOT take the $7500 Federal tax credit regardless even if the car was only registered, and not titled.

"New" Demo Volt - Tax Credit

Electric Vehicle Tax Credits Can't Be Passed on
One question that occasionally pops up is just who gets to claim the tax credit in the case of low-mileage cars that dealerships sell after having used them as demonstrators or loaner cars.

There was quite a fuss early in the history of the plug-in hybrid Chevrolet Volt when it turned out that several dealerships had, for various reasons, registered new Volts in their own names. By doing so, they made the subsequent retail buyers ineligible for the car's $7,500 federal tax credit.
The answer in the Volt tax credit flap is pretty simple: Only the original registered owner of an eligible vehicle can claim the federal tax credit. Even if the original registered owner didn't apply for the credit for some reason, it cannot be passed along to a subsequent buyer.
In short: A used Chevrolet Volt is no longer eligible for the credit. Neither is any other used EV, plug-in hybrid or other type of vehicle that qualified for federal tax credits when it was new. This is useful to know, because it can be a bargaining point in a used-car purchase negotiation. It might turn out that a new model with the tax credit is a better deal than a used one if the federal tax credit program means the list price for the new model is reduced by up to $7,500.

I found that buying a demo was a great deal. I bought a 2014 P85 about a year ago. It had 11K miles, but I got it for 20% off original price. It was one of the demos released in November, so it doesn't have autopilot or AWD, but I have been happy. Since I was first to register it, I also get the Federal tax credit.

Mike

Reach out to Brent Seavey at [email protected] or (630) 849-4233. Brent helped to find my 2013 P85+. Here are a few from Craigslist in the Bay Area that are right around $50K.

2013 Model S Tesla with only 49k miles

2013 Model S Tesla with only 49k miles

2013 Tesla Model S - 60 kWh

2013 60kwh Tesla Model S

I finally decided to pull the trigger on a CPO Model S. I needed to sell my 2005 911 first, so I put it up for sale on Thursday. Surprisingly, it's sold in less than 48 hours.

Now I have the cash to buy a Tesla, but there are no CPO's available in my budget (~$50K).

If you are about to trade in your Model S, perhaps I could buy it from you and pay you a couple grand more than Tesla. I live in Seattle and travel up and down the West Coast and Texas often. So ideally a Californian, Oregonian, British Columbian, or Texan car would work best for me.

I am open to all configurations of the Model S. The most important option to me is air suspension, but it is not a dealbreaker if the car does not have it.

Thank you for your help

Fer cryin' out loud people, lighten up. You knew full well what the OP meant. There's very little selection of CPO's since the "Great Purge".

The original title was on the lines of "Tesla won't sell me a CPO". That implied that Tesla had blocked him from buying a car for some reason (which has happened before). That's certainly what I thought. The current title is far more appropriate.

The original title was on the lines of "Tesla won't sell me a CPO". That implied that Tesla had blocked him from buying a car for some reason (which has happened before). That's certainly what I thought. The current title is far more appropriate.

That is correct. The title was updated to better represent the thread's content.