Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't leave car at airport... battery dies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a big loss of energy. I charged my car the evening of the 21st, went away on vacation and when I started it up on the morning of the 26th, I had only lost 1% (roughly 2 miles). I have all the settings optimized and I did not wake the car while I was away. Average temperatures in the upper 70s helps I imagine.

@DarkMatter mentioned "camper mode": It is not displayed with that exact name so please make sure "Keep Climate On" is switched off otherwise it would be on forever until your main battery pack is depleted to 20%.

upload_2017-12-28_16-18-39.png

I returned from a trip today with 10% charge, parked, plugged in, and set the charging to start in the wee hours during my TOUR off-peak period. Outside temps are in the single digits (about 10 or 12F when I parked at 4 PM or so, and down to 7F now). I have to park the car outdoors.
When I checked the car via the phone app, the state of charge (SOC) had dropped to 8% by about dinner time (6-7 PM), and was down to 6% just now (9:30 PM). This rate of drop was alarming me, because i did not want the battery to reach zero before charging is scheduled to start.
Do you suppose the battery was cold enough that it was using some of its own energy to keep warm, even though it is plugged in? Does not seem as if it should have. I think I have the car set to "always connected," but that should not require 4% in 6 hours or less. The comments above make me wonder if the latest update could have changed things in some way that is causing faster battery drain than usual in cold weather.
I decided to manually start charging to be sure the battery would be OK. Interestingly enough, the charge began slowly, at 12 amps or so, rather like the way supercharging starts slowly when a battery is cold. I don't think I have ever seen level 2 charging ramp up like this. Of course, if it does, I normally charge in the wee hours and would not see the ramping up. Plus the weather is rarely this cold here.
Now that it has been charging for 15 minutes or so, the charge rate is up to normal (40 amps, 9 kW).

I left home December 10th and wont be back until January 10th, both MS and MX plugged and set to charge every day at 10:05PM... I have been checking the app daily and both cars are holding charge very well, so far both have charged every other day (give or take) up to the set charge.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: David29
That. It will revise the range downward based on the cold. The range will 'come back' when the battery warms back up. No need to hover like this - if you had scheduled the charging and come back in the morning, you would have never known there was anything that happened at all. If it makes you happy to know, go for it. Otherwise I'd suggest not looking.

Reactions: David29 and Tam
Just thought i'd chime in here. I'm experiencing accelerated battery drain as well on the new 50.2 firmware. Parked at Costco, had 40 miles range. We were in Costco for 1 hour. Came out to 0 remaining miles. Granted, it was cold, but parked, still should not have lost that much. 15*F outside. I've parked in colder for much longer as recent as last week, with no range loss like this.
I'm seeing a 20+ mile loss/night as well. Ironically, my warranty expired a week ago as well.....

40 miles, battery was fully heated and had full regen when parked. still had some regen when we went out to the car. only 10 miles from home so should have had plenty. limped to a CHAdeMO Station 2 miles away from costco and charged for about a half hour. Charge reate was quick, at around 30kW (Low SOC). Charged until I had 50 miles rated and headed home.

Overheat/freeze protection turned off, energy saver is on, always connected is on as well, but never had a issue with that, smart preconditioning is off,

My best guess is Smart Preconditioning is on. Even logging and no sleep wouldn't lose 180 miles in three days (More like 9 - 15 miles/day). And it should stop when the battery gets low, like you are seeing. If that's the case you should see the same losses you had for the last day until you get back. I don't think Cabin Overheat Protection works to keep the car warm.
That seems like a flaw, Smart Preconditioning should notice if you are not using the car, it should go into weekend mode. Similar to Nest.

Overheat/freeze protection turned off, energy saver is on, always connected is on as well, but never had a issue with that, smart preconditioning is off,
Couldn't have been any of the air conditioning features, since they are disabled if your battery is below 20%. Unless there's a really weird bug. Even if you left a door slightly ajar it shouldn't have burned that much with just the heat, either. Any chance it's been a long time since you charged to 100%? Some folks have reported that low charge level measurements get really inaccurate if they don't charge to 100% and run close to 0% from time to time, since it's all based on estimates.

Just thought i'd chime in here. I'm experiencing accelerated battery drain as well on the new 50.2 firmware. Parked at Costco, had 40 miles range. We were in Costco for 1 hour. Came out to 0 remaining miles. Granted, it was cold, but parked, still should not have lost that much. 15*F outside. I've parked in colder for much longer as recent as last week, with no range loss like this.
I'm seeing a 20+ mile loss/night as well. Ironically, my warranty expired a week ago as well.....

Did you happen to check the app to see if some of the 40 miles were locked away in the blue "snowflake" portion of the battery?

As far as warranty, your car isn't 8 years old yet is it? So the battery should still be covered.

Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Climate Preconditioning > OFF

Controls > Displays > Energy Saving > ON

Good advice, though I'd make sure Always connected is unchecked too. Cabin Overheat Protection can remain on since it will automatically deactivate 12 hours after parking (so during subsequent days while continuously parked, no additional energy will be used because of the feature). Also during the first 12 hours, it should only minimally decrease the overall range remaining and only if it gets about 104 F inside the car. The overall range impact may be 1 - 10 miles.