Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't leave car at airport... battery dies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checked. Smart Preconditioning was off. Energy Saving mode was on. Cabin overheat was on.

Temps were in the 10-20F range most of the two days where I went from 220mi range to 40mi range.

There really needs to be a button or setting for Teslas that put it into "long term sleep" mode or something.

Do you have your token shared with any services that poll your car? TeslaFi? Amazon Alexa?

Since you only woke your car up once, so it isn't because of daily checks.

When you have chance, please check your 3 settings: 2 offs and 1 on:

Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Cabin Overheat Protection > OFF

Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Climate Preconditioning > OFF

Controls > Displays > Energy Saving > ON

My understanding (not my experience because mine hasn't experienced subfreezing condition just yet):

If you set those 3 settings as above and if you don't wake your car up (including by phone app), it will go to deep sleep which it doesn't care about climate controls unless it's a life or death situation for its battery.

If it is not because of your settings then I guess you have to plug in while you are at DEN (6 in terminal E, 10 in West Garage, and 1 in East Garage--You pay the parking fee and the free charging is included).
Thank you- I was about to ask for someone to post a to-do list for shutting off vampire drains.

Cabin overheat was on.
That could be it. We both know the strong Colo sun beating in through windows. I wouldn't be surprised if your car was being cooled for several hours/day. FWIW, I keep this setting OFF all the time. If my car is out in the sun, especially in the summer, I use the app to turn on the A/C shortly before I plan to drive it and it's cooled down in 5 minutes.

Even so, have Tesla analyze the battery loss.

I've found a few threads on this scattered around the Internet, but not good solution.

On Christmas day (less than 72 hours ago) I parked my Model S at DIA (Denver Int'l Airport) in cold weather... about 25F. Knowing the car's batter would discharge while I was away, I did a range charge at home (270 miles on my 85D), and had 220+ miles in the battery when I parked it.

Now, three days later, my app is telling me the car has 40 miles of range remaining. That's not enough for me to get home. And by the time I return to the car (next Sunday morning) it will likely be much lower... perhaps even low enough that I need assistance.

This has happened to me a few times now, and I don't know what to do. What could possibly be draining the battery so much so quickly? It seems to be a problem many other people have had...

This has to be the last time I leave my car at the airport for more than 1-2 days... I keep getting stranded.

You know, Tesla ought to address this with a little AI. If the car is parked, not at home but at an AIRPORT, and the battery is below a certain level, maybe the car should go into deep sleep.

Yes and it was showing that it was plugged in for a while but now there isn't really any connectivity with the car through either app.

Sounds like the reboot is the answer. Let's hope!
You left your car connected/plugged in to a commercial Blink charging station and you left town for at least 3-4 days already. Maybe the way I stated that it will help you see how less than considerate that is to your fellow EV drivers. I assume that it was not a Blink charging station installed solely for your personal use? I'm certainly glad that I do not live in the area you do. Think about what would happen if you pulled an ICE up to a gas pump at the 7-11 and you left town for a couple of days.

Last edited:
We left our 2015 P85D at the San Diego airport for a week with barely enough battery charge to get home. Not a problem since we parked it at :: Aladdin Airport Parking, Official Site of San Diego's Premiere Airport Parking that had valet parking, speedy shuttles... and FREE EV charging. We provided them our return flight infornation and they had our car charged to 90% when we arrived a week later, eliminating us from having to charge at the typically overrun San Diego Qualcom Office Park and San Juan Capistrano Superchargers (San Clemente wasn't online yet). ZERO stress and WAY faster than having to stop by an Supercharger on our way home to Orange County.

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Jeez. Thanks for the judgment... It was my first experience at an airport Blink station. I'm not sure what the options was... I wanted to charge up because of concerns over range loss. The 3 spots in this terminal for Blink had 1 ice parked in stall one and one Tesla parked in stall 3. These are EV only parking spots in one area of a terminal.

Save your internet judging.

Reactions: Rocky_H
That could be it. We both know the strong Colo sun beating in through windows. I wouldn't be surprised if your car was being cooled for several hours/day. FWIW, I keep this setting OFF all the time. If my car is out in the sun, especially in the summer, I use the app to turn on the A/C shortly before I plan to drive it and it's cooled down in 5 minutes.

I don't recall ever turning this feature on, but it was on when I checked this morning. I turned it off. But I have a hard time believing that direct sunlight (at the low angle you get in the winter) with overcast skies and a 19F high could induce enough warmth to engage the A/C. I have zero experience studying this stuff, but it just seems so counter-intuitive.

Anyway, I've only taken my car to Tesla Service once thus far and they were unable to explain my problem ("Driver Assist Features Unavailable--Please Contact Tesla Service Department" periodically for years now) saying the logs don't last very many days (?) on the car. I can try again, however... I would like to drive to the airport.

That said, I have the car only 9 more months, most of which is not winter. And I may get another Tesla in September, but I'm still deciding...

Thanks Barry... your help is always appreciated!

Doesn't over heat time out after 12 hours?

My understanding is that Cabin Overheat Protection only operates for 12 or so hours - The range loss by the OP might be that the battery heater did come on to keep the batteries warmer than ambient. That is a possibility, but only Tesla is going to be able to resolve this for the OP. I hope they do provide an explanation and the OP reports back. I know we've left our car at the PHX airport in the summer for up to 3 weeks, and with Always connected off, ( and never checking the car from the app) and energy saver on- even with the extreme heat of PHX, we only lost ~3 miles of range per day - Of course this was several firmware versions ago. I hope the OP gets the to bottom of this sudden range usage while parked.

Just checked. Smart Preconditioning was off. Energy Saving mode was on. Cabin overheat was on.

Temps were in the 10-20F range most of the two days where I went from 220mi range to 40mi range.

There really needs to be a button or setting for Teslas that put it into "long term sleep" mode or something.

Was Always connected off (unchecked)? Setting it that way can save additional energy.

There is no way that Always Connected can drain 70 kWh in two days. For some perspective that's the equivalent energy to a hair dryer on low sitting inside the car. It's a nutty amount of energy to go through, and why the chief two suspects are climate being stuck on for some reason, or a failing battery. Either way those should show in the logs. I'd call Tesla tomorrow.

I don't recall ever turning this feature on, but it was on when I checked this morning. I turned it off. But I have a hard time believing that direct sunlight (at the low angle you get in the winter) with overcast skies and a 19F high could induce enough warmth to engage the A/C. I have zero experience studying this stuff, but it just seems so counter-intuitive.
I can speak with some experience on this. My condo has a wall of south facing windows in 3 rooms. On a sunny winter day, my heat almost never goes on after sunrise until several hours after sunset. It frequently reaches 80F and I crack a few windows. My Xcel bill last month was $30 (not including charging). OTOH, in summer it's $100+ from A/C.

BTW, when the software update with cabin overheat protection first was introduced, the feature defaulted ON and I turned it off.