Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't leave car at airport... battery dies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You left your car connected/plugged in to a commercial Blink charging station and you left town for at least 3-4 days already. Maybe the way I stated that it will help you see how less than considerate that is to your fellow EV drivers. I assume that it was not a Blink charging station installed solely for your personal use? I'm certainly glad that I do not live in the area you do. Think about what would happen if you pulled an ICE up to a gas pump at the 7-11 and you left town for a couple of days.
You are welcome to be that judgy for charging stations that are NOT in airport long term parking. That is their intended use.

Reactions: TexasEV
You are welcome to be that judgy for charging stations that are NOT in airport long term parking. That is their intended use.
Really Rocky? That's their purpose? I'm sorry, I missed that being posted somewhere. Where is it? New to me. Yes, I was being judgy, because it sort of rude to do that to others. You are saying that its okay to leave our EV's plugged in for days or maybe longer at a public EV charging station. Only at airports, or is there other places. Because I do disagree and disagree with you're disagreeing with this idea.

I'm not advocating someone is taken out and keel hauled for doing it. But it is inconsiderate of fellow EVer's

Really Rocky? That's their purpose? I'm sorry, I missed that being posted somewhere. Where is it? New to me. Yes, I was being judgy, because it sort of rude to do that to others. You are saying that its okay to leave our EV's plugged in for days or maybe longer at a public EV charging station. Only at airports, or is there other places. Because I do disagree and disagree with you're disagreeing with this idea.

I'm not advocating someone is taken out and keel hauled for doing it. But it is inconsiderate of fellow EVer's

Why put them in the long term parking lot if they don't want people using them and parking at them?

I know in the PDX long term lots they have installed ~50, low power, chargers just for the purpose of charging cars while people are parked and away.

It's airport long term parking. What possible use could they have other than to be plugged into cars parked there on trips? Yes it's stupid for airport parking lots to install these rather than a bunch of 120V outlets, but that's what the vast majority do. (No one makes money selling 120V outlets, and the parking lot management doesn't know any better).

That is what is missing at a lot of airports... basically trickle charge in while one is away on a long trip.
At many airports the only charging is valet parking for 18/50 dollars or more a day.

If you don't understand that airport long term parking is for leaving your car unattended for multiple days at a time, I don't think I can help you.

Akikiki, I agree that under normal circumstances, it's extremely thoughtless to leave EVs plugged in for days at a public EV station. But the important thing you are missing here is that these stations are in an airport long-term parking lot. That is why it's OK in this case, because they're designed to be used that way.

• Love
Reactions: Olds442 and Rocky_H
Seattle has that. 48 outlets for long term parked EVs. It's great.

Sigh...that’s what we miss for living in the “flyover” part of the country.

At BMI Bloomington IL. airport there are 2 charging stations. In the 2 hour short term lot.
At Ohare there are several in the valet covered $39 a day lot.
Same with Indianapolis valet parking only at $25 a day

This is interesting. If you were to just ask someone separately what airport long term parking is and how it's to be used, they would be able to explain that it's for when you are going to leave your car there for days. But once the word "charging station" is mentioned, it's like it hits the emergency cutoff switch for some people's logic and common sense. They just instinctively react about not leaving a car idle on a charger. But with this kind of thinking, all of the stations should be idle all the time and no one should ever use any of them, because cars are going to be done charging in the first 6 hours or so and then idle for the next day or two, because that's what long term parking is. That would be ridiculous. The purpose of long term airport parking doesn't change based on whether there is a charging station in it or not.

My car was parked outdoors overnight last night in the cold. Lowest temperature my thermometer recorded was -2F and it was -1 at 7AM, so the car was exposed to a through cold soak. Plus I had not driven it yesterday, with temps below 20 all day. The car was plugged in. It looks to have lost about 2% charge overnight. I had charged during the day yesterday, so i did not expect it to charge last night, but I cannot tell if it charged itself. I do not think so, because it did not go up to the set point but stayed a couple of points below. My car has "Always connected" set to Yes.

Reactions: ozweepay
This is interesting. If you were to just ask someone separately what airport long term parking is and how it's to be used, they would be able to explain that it's for when you are going to leave your car there for days. But once the word "charging station" is mentioned, it's like it hits the emergency cutoff switch for some people's logic and common sense. They just instinctively react about not leaving a car idle on a charger. But with this kind of thinking, all of the stations should be idle all the time and no one should ever use any of them, because cars are going to be done charging in the first 6 hours or so and then idle for the next day or two, because that's what long term parking is. That would be ridiculous. The purpose of long term airport parking doesn't change based on whether there is a charging station in it or not.

I don't understand all your logic. I didn't see in his post that he left it in long term parking. And he had already been 3-4 days when he reported the problem. I didn't count the remaining days before he was home, but as I recall it was about a week. Maybe he did. But considering every stall including those in long term parking do not have a 120/240 outlet, tying up one for denies anyone else from accessing it.

Sorry, Akikiki, but you're missing everyone's point about long term parking's purpose. It's for long term parking, regardless of the presence of an electric outlet. Just like I may not get a spot too close to the terminal because it's first-come first-served, I may not get a charging outlet. In a perfect world, and maybe some time in the future, every spot will have that availability. But for now, you park in long term parking, you're there until you return from your trip.

This seems like a pretty nasty comment and I've reported it as such.

There seems to be a group of people who feel that plugging into an airport's parking charging station is somehow not OK. That somehow the car should be unplugged after charging completes. As others have pointed out, chargers at airport parking lots are precisely there to be used while parked for many days, so it's OK. If there were such chargers at cruise ship parking lots, it would also be OK to leave a car plugged in for days.

Before jumping down someone's throat with such a nasty message, it would be better to think a little.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I've seen parking before with the EVSEs spaced a good distance apart, so they can each be plugged in to one of three or four spots. It's a really nice setup because it means you can be plugged in for a long time, and if someone else needs to charge for a bit in the middle of that time, they can. If you can't build out every spot with an EVSE (or every spot with a dedicated 120V 20A outlet, as Sea-Tac does for a chunk of their garage) it's probably the next best option.

I turn on the Tesla App on my i-phone - and it gives me the message "last updated {4 days ago}" and just cycles and fails to connect. Because of this "failure" - I dont trust being able to ask someone to go help my car while away. Once it does connect, all features work fine. But unless I'm right at the nose of the car, the App connect is a failure. Do you guys have any tricks to force my app to connect?

I turn on the Tesla App on my i-phone - and it gives me the message "last updated {4 days ago}" and just cycles and fails to connect. Because of this "failure" - I dont trust being able to ask someone to go help my car while away. Once it does connect, all features work fine. But unless I'm right at the nose of the car, the App connect is a failure. Do you guys have any tricks to force my app to connect?
This can happen for a couple of reasons, but it's usually on the phone side. By the way, this:
"But unless I'm right at the nose of the car..."
has nothing to do with it. The car and phone are not sending signals directly to each other, so the closeness of the two of those objects is irrelevant. The phone is connecting to the cellular towers, which are then sending the signal over the internet to the servers at Tesla in California, which then authorizes the app on your phone, and then sends a signal back out over the internet to the cellular receiver in the car. So even if you are standing right next to your car, it is still going hundreds of miles round trip to talk to Tesla's systems and then back to the car. So next to the car or on the other side of the world doesn't make any differerence, as long as your phone and the car both have strong internet connections.

But, as to making it work, if it just spins like that, I've seen it happen sometimes if the app was just put into the background, and then it can't quite bring everything back up when you switch to it, like it won't renew the login the make it current or something. Force close the app, and then start it up again, and probably about 98-99% of the time, that will make it connect properly again. But since it is doing a specific connection over the internet, there have been rare times over the years that there is some widespread outage of cellular networks or Tesla's servers were down for some reason where it just can't connect for half a day or so. My wife always uses the app to drive, since she doesn't carry a purse or wallet--just a few cards--but she always has her phone. She got caught with that one day, where she was going to leave work early to go to an appointment, but AT&T happened to be having big problems with their cell network in several cities, so no go. I had to run down to give her the key fob to be able to leave. Fortunate we do work at the same place then.

Reactions: AZ Desert Driver
This can happen for a couple of reasons, but it's usually on the phone side. By the way, this:
"But unless I'm right at the nose of the car..."
has nothing to do with it. The car and phone are not sending signals directly to each other, so the closeness of the two of those objects is irrelevant. The phone is connecting to the cellular towers, which are then sending the signal over the internet to the servers at Tesla in California, which then authorizes the app on your phone, and then sends a signal back out over the internet to the cellular receiver in the car. So even if you are standing right next to your car, it is still going hundreds of miles round trip to talk to Tesla's systems and then back to the car. So next to the car or on the other side of the world doesn't make any differerence, as long as your phone and the car both have strong internet connections.

But, as to making it work, if it just spins like that, I've seen it happen sometimes if the app was just put into the background, and then it can't quite bring everything back up when you switch to it, like it won't renew the login the make it current or something. Force close the app, and then start it up again, and probably about 98-99% of the time, that will make it connect properly again. But since it is doing a specific connection over the internet, there have been rare times over the years that there is some widespread outage of cellular networks or Tesla's servers were down for some reason where it just can't connect for half a day or so. My wife always uses the app to drive, since she doesn't carry a purse or wallet--just a few cards--but she always has her phone. She got caught with that one day, where she was going to leave work early to go to an appointment, but AT&T happened to be having big problems with their cell network in several cities, so no go. I had to run down to give her the key fob to be able to leave. Fortunate we do work at the same place then.
Thanks. I thought I had closed the App, and reopened it - only to find it is still cycling. Perhaps it is the environment (inside a concrete parking structure) that is playing with the phone signal. I suppose I can look just at the number of cell phone bars and get part of the answer. I also tried "RemoteS" App and it too refused to connect. The explanation that is is cell service related - does fit with my observations. Does not fix my lack of confidence that it will always work.