Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car & Driver: The Mach E is simply better than the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering that Ford maybe spending more on Mach-E advertising than on Mach-E engineering, and that Ford is a known "major advertiser" of automotive publishers, would that be a surprise if Ford (or other OEM or short sellers) hires a troll farm to promote their products including the Mach-E? I see so many plain lies and click-bait statements regarding EVs and Tesla in the past couple years that I can't escape the conclusion of a planed and well-paid campaign. One troll on another platform has actually accidentally admitted his/her connections to a stock trading firm.

Considering that Ford maybe spending more on Mach-E advertising than on Mach-E engineering, and that Ford is a known "major advertiser" of automotive publishers, would that be a surprise if Ford (or other OEM or short sellers) hires a troll farm to promote their products including the Mach-E? I see so many plain lies and click-bait statements regarding EVs and Tesla in the past couple years that I can't escape the conclusion of a planed and well-paid campaign. One troll on another platform has actually accidentally admitted his/her connections to a stock trading firm.
This is 100% true. Even VW has been paying google ads to boost the ID4 up when you google "TESLA" or "Model Y".

Their SEO for the ID.4 has been near the top or at the top of those search terms for the past few months. That isn't cheap.

Has anyone on here got sales numbers. I know the MME was often said to be a Tesla killer. I looked at one dealer here in Austin and they have 10 sitting on the lot, but that doesn't really tell the story. Is it selling like hot cakes?
Seriously? What’s the name of the dealership. Brother in law is looking for one on a lot instead of waiting for the reservation

Has anyone on here got sales numbers. I know the MME was often said to be a Tesla killer. I looked at one dealer here in Austin and they have 10 sitting on the lot, but that doesn't really tell the story. Is it selling like hot cakes?
Most of the dealerships in my area have five to seven available, all marked up between $5-7k above MSRP.

At any given time I've seen 4-5 in Auburn, CA. Multiple of the same ones in Future Ford in Sac. Then again Future Ford is a group of crooks.

(personal opinion only, not moderator content, nor representative of TMC moderators opinion, TMC, or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster)

I’ll respond to some of the other stuff above as time permits. For now, let’s talk “trolling.” I don’t consider myself a troll by my definition. I’m not deliberately trying to provoke or annoy people.

As for a “Ford shill,” that might be closer to the mark, although unintentionally so. I bought a Mach E back in February and I generally love it (a few annoying software bugs aside). So that is probably causing me to “shill” a bit for the MME. Not for Ford in general, but they certainly hit this one out of the park.

I test drove both a MY and a MME before buying, and I made the right the decision. (No, I did not order a MME back in 2020 - I bought a cancelled order right off the lot in 2021). I’ve always tried to be objective and acknowledge the MY’s strengths, just as I’ve done in this thread and others. They’re just not compelling enough to choose the MY over the MME unless you have a very particular set of desires (detailed in first post).

I come over here because it’s interesting to hash this out with Tesla enthusiasts. (Tesla “shills” if you will). A lot of the stuff that’s been mentioned in this thread just isn’t accurate as I’ve demonstrated, and I’d hazard a guess that at least some of you have never even driven a MME.

I’m not trying to make this personal. As I said in the first post, this is the nature of competition. It’s continual improvement. Ford had the advantage of the MY coming to market first. Actually longer than that, since the MY is pretty close to a true crossover largely built on the M3 platform. But as a result, the MME is simply better in most regards. Something will come along in the next year or two to dethrone the MME, probably. It will be fun to see.

The accepted definition of internet trolling:

====================

a person who intentionally antagonizes others online by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content Internet trolls In the late 1980s, Internet users adopted the word "troll" to denote someone who intentionally disrupts online communities.

(Definition of TROLL definition 2)

====================

What you do: Post only on one topic, in a community designed for a competing product, on only one topic (a competing vehicle), with every post designed to "discuss" real or imagined deficiencies with a specific vehicle, and "debate" others who disagree with your choice.

====================

Some of your points are valid, but they get lost in the constant shilling you do, with statements like "this vehicle looks better than that one, thats an objective fact" (which is a patently ridiculous statement, as vehicle looks can not be an objective fact). If you are not trolling on purpose, because you dont realize thats what you are doing, that doesnt make it any less online trolling behavior.

The fact that you only post on this one topic, in this one section, with pretty much every post designed to "get discussion going" or "debate" a specific deficiency of the Model Y, or Promote something you see as a specific talking point for the Ford MME dont come across like discussion, they come across like someone who was hired by Ford to sow discontent.

I am saying this dispassionately, because I really dont care, I dont read this subforum a lot, but do check around in sections other than the ones I moderate from time to time. As I mentioned, at least from my perspective, you dont have "moderator actionable" posts, just posts designed to antagonize, in the guise of discussion. Thats pretty much the definition of really good trolling.

If your intent is really to engage in actual discussion, and not troll, you might want to take a less adversarial tact than you normally do in your posts. They get a rise out of some, because there are trollish statements mixed in with other, real feedback. Every community has people who enjoy trolling among their members. You come across specifically as one of those people, who is actually very good at it. If thats not your intention, then you might want to change how you post.

Otherwise, for anyone else reading this, from a moderation perspective, this posters content is just discussion, and does not rise to the level of moderator actionable content. If you choose to engage in conversation, understand that you are engaging with someone who at a very minimum, only participates in TMC on this specific topic, with a very specific viewpoint, and interact or dont accordingly.

(personal opinion only, not moderator content, nor representative of TMC moderators opinion, TMC, or anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster)

The accepted definition of internet trolling:

====================

a person who intentionally antagonizes others online by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content Internet trolls In the late 1980s, Internet users adopted the word "troll" to denote someone who intentionally disrupts online communities.

(Definition of TROLL definition 2)

====================

What you do: Post only on one topic, in a community designed for a competing product, on only one topic (a competing vehicle), with every post designed to "discuss" real or imagined deficiencies with a specific vehicle, and "debate" others who disagree with your choice.

====================

Some of your points are valid, but they get lost in the constant shilling you do, with statements like "this vehicle looks better than that one, thats an objective fact" (which is a patently ridiculous statement, as vehicle looks can not be an objective fact). If you are not trolling on purpose, because you dont realize thats what you are doing, that doesnt make it any less online trolling behavior.

The fact that you only post on this one topic, in this one section, with pretty much every post designed to "get discussion going" or "debate" a specific deficiency of the Model Y, or Promote something you see as a specific talking point for the Ford MME dont come across like discussion, they come across like someone who was hired by Ford to sow discontent.

I am saying this dispassionately, because I really dont care, I dont read this subforum a lot, but do check around in sections other than the ones I moderate from time to time. As I mentioned, at least from my perspective, you dont have "moderator actionable" posts, just posts designed to antagonize, in the guise of discussion. Thats pretty much the definition of really good trolling.

If your intent is really to engage in actual discussion, and not troll, you might want to take a less adversarial tact than you normally do in your posts. They get a rise out of some, because there are trollish statements mixed in with other, real feedback. Every community has people who enjoy trolling among their members. You come across specifically as one of those people, who is actually very good at it. If thats not your intention, then you might want to change how you post.

Otherwise, for anyone else reading this, from a moderation perspective, this posters content is just discussion, and does not rise to the level of moderator actionable content. If you choose to engage in conversation, understand that you are engaging with someone who at a very minimum, only participates in TMC on this specific topic, with a very specific viewpoint, and interact or dont accordingly.

I agree with your assessment of FordMME and believe the same is true of posters like alexgr and mark95476. There are members who have good discussions of "other" EVs - and those (like listed above) who just post to defend their purchase/decision or to start arguments.

Reactions: Dennisis and BooMan
We must be neighbors cause that’s where I’ve seen them, too. Also agree with your assessment of Future Ford — bad experiences with them as well.
I'm up in Alta Sierra. But spend alot of time driving to the bay.

Also for all the love folks give the MME and dealership experience, my experience with the team at Rocklin before, during and after getting my Y recently was superb.

We must be neighbors cause that’s where I’ve seen them, too. Also agree with your assessment of Future Ford — bad experiences with them as well.

Yeah - when we were last looking at cars - we stopped by the Roseville Automall and went to Future Ford. after 20 minutes on the lot - I felt like I needed a shower to get the slime off. The dealership model has degraded to one of the least pleasant experiences in all of product shopping.

Tesla has been great in this regard. GM tried something similar with Saturn a millennia ago.

• Funny
Reactions: El joe
Sandy Munro doing a tear down of Mach E. see the details - for those that care.
For those that shop by ads - see Ford Ads. for Tesla, sorry no ads.
For those that shop by Madison Ave Magazine articles, well C&D is a fine example.
I'd suggest an actual test drive - and talk to an owner of a Tesla. years of actual experience helpful, no?

And who'd buy American when you can get a car from Mexico?

side note: Consumer Reports will show you how to drive a Tesla without being in the driver's seat & no seat belt needed.
Everyone should learn.

example from Sandy review of Mach E

Last edited:
US sales for the Mach-E:
December 2020 3
January 2021 238
February 2021 3,739
March 2021 2,637
April 2021 1,951
May 2021 1,945

I’ll respond to some of the other stuff above as time permits. For now, let’s talk “trolling.” I don’t consider myself a troll by my definition. I’m not deliberately trying to provoke or annoy people.

As for a “Ford shill,” that might be closer to the mark, although unintentionally so. I bought a Mach E back in February and I generally love it (a few annoying software bugs aside). So that is probably causing me to “shill” a bit for the MME. Not for Ford in general, but they certainly hit this one out of the park.

I test drove both a MY and a MME before buying, and I made the right the decision. (No, I did not order a MME back in 2020 - I bought a cancelled order right off the lot in 2021). I’ve always tried to be objective and acknowledge the MY’s strengths, just as I’ve done in this thread and others. They’re just not compelling enough to choose the MY over the MME unless you have a very particular set of desires (detailed in first post).

I come over here because it’s interesting to hash this out with Tesla enthusiasts. (Tesla “shills” if you will). A lot of the stuff that’s been mentioned in this thread just isn’t accurate as I’ve demonstrated, and I’d hazard a guess that at least some of you have never even driven a MME.

I’m not trying to make this personal. As I said in the first post, this is the nature of competition. It’s continual improvement. Ford had the advantage of the MY coming to market first. Actually longer than that, since the MY is pretty close to a true crossover largely built on the M3 platform. But as a result, the MME is simply better in most regards. Something will come along in the next year or two to dethrone the MME, probably. It will be fun to see.
I’m scheduled to drive a MME. As a former automotive employee for a number or OEMs, I like looking at things in totality before deciding something is ‘better’ across any traditional of conceptual metrics. Can you point out any negatives to the MME during your time with it so far?

Attempting to remove ‘fandom’ aside, the C/D article is interesting as it lacks a direct line by line comparison of strength/weaknesses of these products. No points or ratings system. These products are seemingly close, and remember Ford actually had Model 3s to benchmark, scaling up to and CUV based on it wasn’t a lot of guesswork over in Dearborn (really talented folks, I do miss some aspects of previously working there) dating back over 3 years.

What are your opinions over two other publications that picked the Model Y after comparing them line by line?

Of an interesting note is Top Gear found none of the handling issues with the MYP that C/D encountered, despite having similar concerns regarding the Tesla.

Here’s another:

Of interest is their experience with the Ford 360 system:

On the Mach-E, Ford's Co-Pilot 360 safety suite did generally a good job, and we noted it was able to interpret lanes correctly even when the markings weren't totally clear. Later this year Ford will offer Active Drive Assist, a $600 over the air upgrade that should offer similar functionality to the Tesla, such as hands free driving (limited to 100,000 miles of mapped divided highways).
But FSD is the standout winner here. "Active Drive Assist feels relatively low tech in the Mach-E, which is otherwise a technically compelling EV tour de force," Loh said. During our drive, the Mustang once failed to apply the brakes when traffic was stopping ahead, and it lacks the advanced features of Tesla's system, such as automatically switching lanes or handling freeway interchanges.

I’ve found another test that gave the victory to Ford. So opinion (for now) seems pretty split to even, with demographics of media being a deciding factor more than anything. I hope your enjoying your EV, but I’m not sure things are clear cut with these two particular products.