Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car likely totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience there are a few factors that directly affect if your vehicle totals:
-First, if there is significant hidden damage behind the bumper and hood. This hit looks high so it could have missed the front rails. Once a certified body shop tears it down and blueprints the vehicle they will be able to tell you/ insurance company.
-Second, and this is the most important in my experience, is if your insurance is ready/willing to cover the cost of repairs. It depends which company you have and the rates they are willing to pay to fix Tesla.
-Third being the value of your car. 2018s hold their value very well. In my experience (Blue Printer/ Repair Technician for a Tesla Certified Body Shop) we have fixed worse front end hits in the past, and we rarely ever total Teslas. Thr only exception is if the insurance company doesn't want to pay our rates or the vehicle is really really messed up.

Just my 2 cents. Hard to be certain until the car is fully disassembled and inspected.
Sorry for your accident! Hope you're doing alright.
See post #42 above. It's already settled. The amount is "very reasonable" to OP.

Maybe one day Tesla will add a program for those current owners who's vehicles get totaled (with verification from the insurance company), to put them in front of the line if they want to order a new replacement vehicle. That would be one heck of a loyalty program.
I was thinking a good selling point of Tesla insurance could be that they just replace your car with an equivalent used car that they have in stock from trade ins.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Just my 2 cents. Hard to be certain until the car is fully disassembled and inspected.
Sorry for your accident! Hope you're doing alright.
The report they gave me estimated the repair costs at $48000. So they totaled it. Surprised me because I didn’t think the accident was that bad but it wasn’t my call so I have to trust what they said. I’m doing fine just burn marks from the airbag on my arms that are mostly healed now. This whole thing has been a huge hassle but it could have been a lot worse so I’m not gonna grumble too much.

It’s Christmas in July!
391E52B7-56F4-4746-969E-E48A146B519C.jpeg

Ah yes, the EV04s. Can't go wrong with these although the ETs are a tad conservative and lugnut and valve stem/cap options - limited, if going for an OEM+ look.

This set is in space gray #becauseStarship?

Last edited:
Ah yes, the EV04s. Can't go wrong with these although the ETs are a tad conservative and lugnut and valve stem/cap options - limited, if going for an OEM+ look.

This set is in space gray #becauseStarship?
They look the same but they’re actually
T Sportline TS5
20” x 8.5” +35 offset
Satin gray

Supposedly they are designed to work with all the factory hardware. I’m planning to swap over the tires and tpms from the Uberturbines then sell them. Some people like the turbine look but I think they look like a Vornado fan with tires around it.

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, what did your insurance actually pay out?
Just over $58k plus sales tax. Basically enough to buy a brand new dual motor long range w/o FSD. I found used comps for my 2018 P with FSD in that price range regionally so I think it was fair.

I was pretty serious about getting a used WRX and pocketing the cash until used Tesla prices came back down to earth but my wife insisted I just get the new P3D and be done with it. Who am I to argue? Obviously I wish none of this had happened but getting a 4 year newer car with full warranty for a few grand out of pocket isn't a bad outcome.

Just over $58k plus sales tax. Basically enough to buy a brand new dual motor long range w/o FSD. I found used comps for my 2018 P with FSD in that price range regionally so I think it was fair.

I was pretty serious about getting a used WRX and pocketing the cash until used Tesla prices came back down to earth but my wife insisted I just get the new P3D and be done with it. Who am I to argue? Obviously I wish none of this had happened but getting a 4 year newer car with full warranty for a few grand out of pocket isn't a bad outcome.

Thanks for sharing. Geico is likely going to total mine (8 weeks after accident, argh) and nice to have a ballpark. Mine is RWD with EAP and not FSD, so we'll see what they offer. Comps around here are pretty insane.

Thanks for sharing. Geico is likely going to total mine (8 weeks after accident, argh) and nice to have a ballpark. Mine is RWD with EAP and not FSD, so we'll see what they offer. Comps around here are pretty insane.
It was a couple grand above KBB private party value for my car so that isn't a bad guide IMO. USAA was really straight forward with everything, I got a detailed market valuation report from the assessment company that included comps and the valuation for upgrades like FSD, tint, or PPF. I was able to speak with them when I thought the initial offer was a bit low. We had some back and forth and ultimately I am happy with what I got. I am also lucky that I have access to a car until Halloween with a family member being on travel... so I can wait for the new one and not have to buy an overpriced used model.

Hopefully you get a good settlement... FSD really didn't increase the assessed value much (per my report) so be glad you didn't have it. This whole crash thing has made me really hesitant to ever buy FSD in the future since it goes away with the car if it is ever totaled. Monthly rental when needed seems to make a lot more sense at this point.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Went to drive a BMW i4 edrive40 today just for the hell of it. I was actually pretty impressed. The interior was much nicer than the model 3 and their infotainment system was actually pretty good. The car felt very solid, refined, and quiet.

Headroom was a bit lacking especially in the back seat and the throttle response wasn’t quite as good as my model 3 performance but it was a solid contender. It also got pricey with the options I liked which come standard on the Tesla like heated seats, dash cam, and adaptive cruise.

I wish they had an i4 M50 available but there wasn’t one at the dealer. I spec’d one out with the sales guy and it would be $70k for one with the options I mentioned so basically a wash with a model 3 performance since BMW still gets the full tax credit.

At the end of the day it was a little too fancy for me but I thought it was a great car overall. If I didn’t have a young kid and treat my trunk like crap I’d have to seriously consider it.

Went to drive a BMW i4 edrive40 today just for the hell of it. I was actually pretty impressed. The interior was much nicer than the model 3 and their infotainment system was actually pretty good. The car felt very solid, refined, and quiet.

Headroom was a bit lacking especially in the back seat and the throttle response wasn’t quite as good as my model 3 performance but it was a solid contender. It also got pricey with the options I liked which come standard on the Tesla like heated seats, dash cam, and adaptive cruise.
Aren't BMW just on the news about charging subscription for heated seats? My wife had BMW X5 as previous 2 cars before Model X. She does not miss BMW at all.

Aren't BMW just on the news about charging subscription for heated seats? My wife had BMW X5 as previous 2 cars before Model X. She does not miss BMW at all.
I didn't see anything about subscriptions for heated seats but the premium package to get heated seats was a $950 upgrade (standard on the model 3 performance) and the 14 speaker stereo was also an upgrade (standard on model 3 performance).

I don't have any experience with BMW aside from a couple of friends that race E46 M3s with the local club so I can't comment much on owning one. I come from heavily modified Nissan Sentra SE-R and Subaru WRX for most of my life. Then I bought a 2015 Nissan Leaf when I had a kid because body kits, bouncy coilovers, and loud smelly exhausts are kind of silly when you are hauling around your wife and small child. My expectations and preferences are probably a lot different than what your wife likes.

All I am saying is that the build quality, materials, and finishes seemed better on the i4 than my model 3. The UI was good, the addition of carplay or android auto was nice, and I also appreciated little details like a proper blind spot warning and HUD. It was a very nice car. Like I said, it isn't my style at this point in my life, but I could see why a lot of buyers would prefer it to the Tesla.

Keep that woman!
Definitely! Though I think it is mostly that she's just sick of hearing me talk about cars and wants me to just get something I'm happy with and be done with it. haha

It isn't so much the price of the car that bothers me since the Tesla resale value is so strong (at least for now) and I got a good settlement from insurance. What bothers me is that Virginia is a personal property tax state and each year I have to pay taxes on the assessed value of my vehicle. They try to make it "progressive" by offering 50% relief on the cars value under $20k which really incentivises cheaper cars in my mind. It basically shakes out to the following in my locality:

Personal Property Tax = (Cars Value up to $20k) * $0.02 + (Cars Value Above $20k) * $0.04

So on a $10k car the PPT is roughly $200 a year, which is annoying but not that bad... hell I pay $110 a year EV fee in Virginia because I don't pay the gas tax. But on a $62k car (Model 3 P) it is about $2100 and over 5 years it'll cost me over $7k just for the privilege of parking my Tesla in the city assuming 10% depreciation per year. Any gas savings I get from driving the EV is completely offset by the high tax rate on the expensive car. It just pisses me off even thinking about it and makes me want to drive something older and modified with a lower assessed value.

While I'm glad Texas doesn't charge a property tax on vehicles (yet, as I bet there are discussions on this), there's a bill being discussed to levy a $200 per year fee for EV registrations to cover the gas tax we aren't paying, and our home property taxes are one of the highest in the country. Granted we don't have an income tax, but we also pay one of the highest sales taxes at 8.25% for most everything. Vehicles are at 6.25% on sales tax. My home property tax is in the 5 figures this year for the first time ever.

While I'm glad Texas doesn't charge a property tax on vehicles (yet, as I bet there are discussions on this), there's a bill being discussed to levy a $200 per year fee for EV registrations to cover the gas tax we aren't paying, and our home property taxes are one of the highest in the country. Granted we don't have an income tax, but we also pay one of the highest sales taxes at 8.25% for most everything. Vehicles are at 6.25% on sales tax. My home property tax is in the 5 figures this year for the first time ever.

I'm in Ohio - 7.5% sales tax, ~6.5% state income tax, and 2% local income tax (off the top with no deductions). Along with pretty high property taxes. Luckily, cost of living/housing values are reasonable.

We started paying a $200 EV fee a couple years ago. It's actually pretty reasonable to me - I drove an Acura RSX before my Tesla and I calculated that with my driving amount and gas mileage, I paid about $200 per year in gas taxes (presumably someone from the state did the same math!).

Reactions: ElectricNerd
Our income and house property taxes aren’t bad. What kills me about PPT on a car is you at it every year at an effective rate of almost 4% for a car like a model 3. It just adds up. My wife says that’s how they get you here but considering the low income tax and house tax we shouldn’t complain… but it’s just my nature to optimize.