Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car likely totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, property tax in Texas is pretty high. We've been looking at leaving CA (everything looks cheap compared to this place), but was shocked when I calculated the tax bills for the places in Texas we were considering.

BTW, for CA bay area , ~10% sales tax (even on new cars, exact rate depends on your city, 9.38% here in San Jose, some areas are higher), one of the highest state income taxes in the US, some of the most expensive real estate anywhere (and thus very high property tax), we pay $100-175 to register an electric vehicle each year, plus vehicle registration fees are proportional to the car's value (i.e. a property tax). Death and taxes.....

Thank God we have the homestead provision in Florida that limits the amount of property tax increase to no more than 3% per year, regardless of property value increase.
In Texas any increase in property tax on homestead is capped at 10% unless it’s the first year you’re claiming homestead on a house you just bought where it doesn’t count. Just ask me how I know…. 😡

Checked out the EV6 and a 2017 WRX today. Everything feels slow after driving the M3P for the last couple of years.

EV6 is actually a pretty nice car it’s just not for me. 6 speed on the WRX was like butter but the acceleration was underwhelming. I kept thinking the turbo hadn’t spooled yet but it had… it just didnt feel that fast to me anymore. The sales guy did say there will probably be an electric WRX in a few years but I can’t wait around that long.

Nothing feels like the M3P. The throttle response and instant torque at any speed are ridiculous compared to just about every other car I can afford. Damn you Elon!

Checked out the EV6 and a 2017 WRX today. Everything feels slow after driving the M3P for the last couple of years.

EV6 is actually a pretty nice car it’s just not for me. 6 speed on the WRX was like butter but the acceleration was underwhelming. I kept thinking the turbo hadn’t spooled yet but it had… it just didnt feel that fast to me anymore. The sales guy did say there will probably be an electric WRX in a few years but I can’t wait around that long.

Nothing feels like the M3P. The throttle response and instant torque at any speed are ridiculous compared to just about every other car I can afford. Damn you Elon!
We thought about an EV6 but unfortunately like most every dealer around us, the Kia dealers were marking theirs up $5-10k over sticker.

geez I thought houses were cheap in Texas. I think I paid like $2200
Everyone thinks it’s cheap to live in Texas.

Until they have to pay $25,000 in property taxes.

There’s no such thing as a free lunch. Services cost money. That money comes from taxes. And the services are poor in Texas.

We pay $4000 on our now-very-expensive home.

We are in a low-tax State (Colorado).

Our services are fabulous.

Previously, we lived in Michigan. The services were pitiful.

We paid about $10,000 in property taxes, on a home that was worth about 3/4 of our current home.

Thank God we have the homestead provision in Florida that limits the amount of property tax increase to no more than 3% per year, regardless of property value increase.
Our property taxes are very low in Colorado.

And when you turn 65, they automatically reduce them 20%

Texas has had outrageous property taxes for years and years. No one ever seems to mention that when they tell you “it’s so cheap to live in Texas.”

Reactions: buckets0fun
We thought about an EV6 but unfortunately like most every dealer around us, the Kia dealers were marking theirs up $5-10k over sticker.
yeah they were doing that here too. EV6 was $5k over sticker and the only one left in stock was this ugly mustard color otherwise you had to wait months for one. I4 M50 was getting a big dealer markup too. Hell even the 2017 WRX I testdrove was going for $29k which is absurd for a 5 year old car that was $35k new. Stuff is just crazy expensive right now.

The EV6 was interesting because it did have decent space, respectable range, and a great warranty. I’m just not a crossover guy and once you paid for an awd model it wasn’t that much cheaper than the model 3 even with the tax credit because of the “demand surcharge” you were paying.

Everyone thinks it’s cheap to live in Texas.

Until they have to pay $25,000 in property taxes.

There’s no such thing as a free lunch. Services cost money. That money comes from taxes. And the services are poor in Texas.

We pay $4000 on our now-very-expensive home.

We are in a low-tax State (Colorado).

Our services are fabulous.
Yeah Colorado isn’t too bad especially since a lot of the housing and infrastructure is new. I spend a lot of time in the Denver/Boulder area for work and always enjoy myself out there. I’ve got some buddies in Longmont, Louisville, and Stapleton (Denver) that all tell me their house values have gone through the roof the last 5-10 years.

Be interesting to see if it stays cheap tax wise given all of the California transplants moving in. Folks in the South will tell you that when the people move down from northern high tax states they tend to do three things:

1. Complain about the locals
  2. Drive up property values
  3. Demand services like they used to have in their high tax states (which leads to tax increases)
I can’t complain about Virginia overall I just can’t help but consider the personal property tax as a monthly surcharge on my already expensive Tesla that is avoidable. But my total tax burden really isn’t bad compared to a lot of places.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
I stopped in a Kia dealer yesterday - they don't have any EV6's and have 1 coming in a month, but at least (?) it's only $3k over sticker. I really appreciate Tesla's non-dealer model and that the price of the car is the price of the car, take it or leave it.

I stopped in a Kia dealer yesterday - they don't have any EV6's and have 1 coming in a month, but at least (?) it's only $3k over sticker. I really appreciate Tesla's non-dealer model and that the price of the car is the price of the car, take it or leave it.
That unprofessional business practices will backfire when the so call “chip shortage” ends. Used cars inventories are increasing rapidly and most consumers are tired of getting up charged for no reason.

The real thing I wish I knew was if FSD was ever gonna be worth something during the useful lifetime of my vehicle. This crash has made me even more wary of ever buying it outright (since it went away with the car and doesn't follow me to my new one) but having it there already on the used one is a perk. I suppose with the monthly subscription option available now I could just rent it for the month if I ever take a road trip. For my typical kid hauling and day to day driving around town it really does me no good.
The Ryzen processor would be more important to me than FSD. I have FSD now and am convinced it will not be useful with the current FSD hardware suite. Perhaps HW4 will work, but I'd probably still pass. EAP is worth buying though IMO.

Reactions: buckets0fun
yeah they were doing that here too. EV6 was $5k over sticker and the only one left in stock was this ugly mustard color otherwise you had to wait months for one. I4 M50 was getting a big dealer markup too. Hell even the 2017 WRX I testdrove was going for $29k which is absurd for a 5 year old car that was $35k new. Stuff is just crazy expensive right now.

The EV6 was interesting because it did have decent space, respectable range, and a great warranty. I’m just not a crossover guy and once you paid for an awd model it wasn’t that much cheaper than the model 3 even with the tax credit because of the “demand surcharge” you were paying.
Main reason we ended up going with the RWD M3. Our first option was a Nissan Leaf, but after asking for out of the door prices, it was near a RWD M3. An Ev6 or even the Mach-E will put around a M3 performance. LoL...

10% per year, compounded, is huge.
Yeah, that’s insane. How it works in Florida is, even if your property value increase 15% or 20% in one year (as has happened a few times in my area, the tax increase is limited to 3%. But these aren’t common situations, so the 10% tax cap (mind you, it’s UP TO 10, so most years it wouldn’t even be even close to that) isn’t really helping at all for the long haul. I’ve been in my home and enjoyed the 3% cap over 2 decades, so my taxes would certainly have been 2-3 TIMES what they are now, had it not been for this provision.