Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car not turning off automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having issue of car not getting locked automatically after leaving the car. Tesla Y 2021. It has been happening since a year. Created support request 3-4 times. Every time they said software upgrade would resolve it. None of the software upgrade resolved it. Created support request 5th time. They asked me to come to service center in Kennesaw, GA. When I went there a month back, they said nothing can be done. I need to wait for software upgrade. I couldnt believe. Didnt know whether to laugh or get mad.

Now the issues have been multiplied. When I leave the car, it remains on, unlocked, lights on, climate on, screen on. If I turn off the climate from phone and lock the car from the app, the light still remains on. I have to turn the lights off manually from the car.

Called the Kennesay, GA service center again today. Explain the situation to a rep, he asked me to wait for a min. Waited 10 mins on the phone. I disconnected and called again. Explained the situation to the rep, she asked me to wait for a min. Waited 15 mins on the call. I disconnected.

Not sure where to complain, who is going to resolve my issue.

Sounds like a faulty seat sensor. The car still thinks you're sitting in it. Does it eventually shut down? I have seen that if I sit in the car long enough it will shut down and lock if I haven't touched anything.
Yep. Same issue. It shuts down automatically after 8-10 mins when I am sitting in the car. The thing is the issue doesn't happen when I take the car to service center and service center keeps asking me to wait for a software update. Not helpful at all.

Yep. Same issue. It shuts down automatically after 8-10 mins when I am sitting in the car. The thing is the issue doesn't happen when I take the car to service center and service center keeps asking me to wait for a software update. Not helpful at all.

Also fan on front passenger side is on sometimes even if nobody sitting there.

Yes. It shuts down normally when I leave the car. Issue occurs intermittently around 15-20% of times.
Then I'm sorry. You're stuck. It could be a seat sensor that's going bad but if they can't see it happening, they're not gonna just start swapping out parts to try to fix it. That's the problem with the move towards more electrified vehicles. It's not like you can see things going bad like you might be able to on legacy cars.

Then I'm sorry. You're stuck. It could be a seat sensor that's going bad but if they can't see it happening, they're not gonna just start swapping out parts to try to fix it. That's the problem with the move towards more electrified vehicles. It's not like you can see things going bad like you might be able to on legacy cars.
I understand. If someone asks me about my Tesla, I would say I really like it. But their customer service sucks (though it was not a problem first couple of years 2021-22), especially that of Kennesaw, GA service center. They don't know how to fix the basic issues. Try some other electric car and see if they get better luck with their customer service.

I understand. If someone asks me about my Tesla, I would say I really like it. But their customer service sucks (though it was not a problem first couple of years 2021-22), especially that of Kennesaw, GA service center. They don't know how to fix the basic issues. Try some other electric car and see if they get better luck with their customer service.
I'm a Tesla owner but I don't consider myself a fanboi. That being said, I think that despite the recent setbacks the company has had with layoffs they're ahead of everyone else when it comes to service. I think people mistakenly believe that if they get a Mustang Mach-e (such a dumb name), that they will have just as good service as someone who owns a Ford ICE vehicle. That if there's a problem, they're just gonna wing on down to the local Ford dealership and it will get fixed quickly.

The fact is that many dealerships are actively discouraging their customers from buying electric and probably do not have many people who are electric trained in their maintenance departments. I would guess that some dealerships in out of the way places may only have one trained BEV mechanic. And other companies are not producing the number of cars that Tesla is so they probably don't have an over abundance of spare parts. Both of those facts are gonna add up to a less than great owner experience when something goes wrong. Tesla is behind on spare parts, too, but I bet they have a better overall inventory than most other BEV companies.

That's why it needs to escalate beyond simpleton problem solvers to upper management.
And just who do you think upper management relies on to tell them this is a legit, reproducable problem? The customer?? You think upper management has some secret electronic tricks that the regular mechs at the SC don't know about? If the problem does not manifest itself for the techs to see or for diagnostic equipment to see then there's really not much that you can expect to be done. If they started just throwing parts at every problem that people complained about but couldn't reproduce they'd lose a boatload of money.

And just who do you think upper management relies on to tell them this is a legit, reproducable problem? The customer?? You think upper management has some secret electronic tricks that the regular mechs at the SC don't know about? If the problem does not manifest itself for the techs to see or for diagnostic equipment to see then there's really not much that you can expect to be done. If they started just throwing parts at every problem that people complained about but couldn't reproduce they'd lose a boatload of money.
Just because a problem can't be seen with a scanner it doesn't absolve T from the obligation to fix it. You can't say there isn't a problem when the car won't lock.