Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car won't wake from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello from Spain! (again) :)

We have developed a hypothesis about this problem among the members of the TOC Spain (specifically, owners of M3s).

It seems that the problem affects only to cars with a Movistar eSIM. The few cars which have a KPN Netherlands eSIM (KPN uses the Orange cellular network for roaming in Spain) do NOT suffer this problem. We are still collecting more data, but our hypothesis holds so far.
Movistar = Telefonica in this context, correct?

Unfortunately I don't have premium connectivity any more so can't check, I know my car was previously showing as Netherlands but are we suggesting that people got moved to the Spanish provider and this broke it? Or its just started affecting those on the Spanish network?

Unfortunately I don't have premium connectivity any more so can't check, I know my car was previously showing as Netherlands but are we suggesting that people got moved to the Spanish provider and this broke it? Or its just started affecting those on the Spanish network?
I'm sure I used to have a Netherlands IP, but have no evidence of it. I do now have a Telefonica IP so have the same suspicion that a change of provider caused the issue, if it's even technically possible that the provider was changed remotely.

I'm sure I used to have a Netherlands IP, but have no evidence of it. I do now have a Telefonica IP so have the same suspicion that a change of provider caused the issue, if it's even technically possible that the provider was changed remotely.
I know for sure that I had a Netherlands IP when I did have premium connectivity, and since these are all esims it is very easy for them to change the provider remotely. It would be interesting to know if one day we had Netherlands, then as soon as it broke it was Spanish, or whether we got transferred to Spanish provider a while back and it has only just stopped working. Either way it doesn't sound like something that is going to get resolved very fast..., these sort of changes probably come from quite high up.

Hi @DaveW any sense of proportion of Spain > Ned ratio for responders/vehicles ? am not on FB so not connected to the land of joy and delight that is FB groups.

On TOGUK, it matches the pattern suggested here, Working on KPN, NOT working on Telefonica

On the Model 3 group, mixed bag, but have asked those that voted not working on KPN to double check they are still on NL, as I know mine used to be and moved over

I raised a service request and had this reply from Tesla:

"
Hi. Remote diagnosis has been conducted into your concern. Our engineering team are actively investigating the root cause of why vehicles are not waking via the app with a view to a fix being known and rectified as soon as possible. Your case has been logged accordingly therefore a physical appointment is not currently required. We will close this off and keep the case open until the concern is resolved. Thank you, Tesla Service.
"
So at least we know they are aware. Do threy know about the Spanish connection though?

The MCU2 uses eSIM (so, all M3 do). Tesla can remotely reprogram the eSIMs and switch carriers. In fact, they do (switched my M3 and many others in Spain from KPN to Movistar more than a year ago).